Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finding things you lost and thought were long gone
    I suspect
    1- that it is not you who find lost things but lost things that come back to you
    2- helped by some house keeping fairies, trolls or purple fourth dimensional elephants

I mean it is not possible to put keys on a table, turn away the head few seconds, have the keys disappear, look after them for hours and find them on the very same place where they were supposed to be hours latter while it is the first area you searched

There is a transdimensional entity at work there, plain and simple

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Matter_of_Minutes

Comment

Originally posted by Mordoror View Post

I suspect
      1- that it is not you who find lost things but lost things that come back to you
      2- helped by some house keeping fairies, trolls or purple fourth dimensional elephants

I mean it is not possible to put keys on a table, turn away the head few seconds, have the keys disappear, look after them for hours and find them on the very same place where they were supposed to be hours latter while it is the first area you searched

Ho-lee-crap! I never thought it that way. It is like quarks and muons are meeting anti-quarks and anti-muons. Things really do pop out of existence and then back into existence.!

Mordoror- you are the Grand Wizard for coming up with this.

Comment

Originally posted by Mordoror View Post

I suspect

I had a dream it was still 2012 the other day, then in my dream I chastised myself and yelled, 'Stop with the marlarkey you dumb motherfucker, it's 2013' then I awoke. Twas quite the trip. Also, I was drooling so you know, that probably means I should drink more water or something.

Comment

I recently lost a whole bag of tangerines- Wife loves tangerines, so I bought her a new bad. She ate one, then the whole bag vanished off the kitchen counter (I really had no place to put them -

I found them yesterday on my CNC router in the workshop- I forgot we had surprise company come over for a visit, I quickly snuck in and cleaned up the kitchen from morning breakfast and thought the open net bag of tangerines to be tacky, so I swiftly took them out to the shop for temporary, out-of-sight storage- and forgot about them- That was a week ago- found them yesterday- tossed them.

Comment

An old cheap lighter bought in Amsterdam found in a drawer. The last time it worked, it probably lit up some grass

Comment

Originally posted by EvilMinion View Post
              Don't feel too bad Mastermind, cats don't obey the laws of physics. They have an ability to travel from this dimension to another (or perhaps others plural). It would seem they can take inanimate objects with them.

How it was explained to me -

Comment

Originally posted by Mastermind View Post
                Actually, way back when we were on MP.net, and I first signed up, I had to come up with an appropriate tag, - I thought about it a long time. And here is how "Mastermind" was thought up:

When I was in basic training at Ft. Ord, my Training Sergeant was a really super kind fellow from the Philippines by the name of Sergeant Ibanez. He was more of an athletic coach than the Hollywood version of a Drill Instructor. He never cursed or raised his voice in anger and every man in our platoon of 40 men actually loved this guy- He was not only a brilliant teacher, but he simply had a knack for getting people to try their hardest for him. His greatest punishment, aside from “Get a gig!” (doing 10 pushups) was making you go “Chasing the Invisible Man”. If you spoke incorrectly or laughed when you shouldn’t (which was literally impossible not to do with Sergeant Ibanez) he would say, “Now you chase eebizibol man- there he goes!” You had to put your rifle at port arms and take off running, chasing this “ghost” and do it for about five laps around the platoon or until Sergeant Ibanez got tired and shouted, “Recover”.

One day we were in formation waiting to enter the big theater to see a training film. I was chatting, when I should not have been and Sergeant Ibanez heard, instantly, without turning around, he called my name recognizing me by my voice, and said, “There goes Eebizibol man- You go catch him for me, There he go around the theater building” So I shot off, and went around the building, but while running out of sight, I came up with an idea- What if I actually caught the Invisible Man- So, when I reappeared on the other side of the building, I was walking with my rifle at sling arms, and my left hand out, as if I had a person in custody by the arm. Sergeant Ibanez had, of course, seen this trick before. The good Sergeant waited patiently for me to walk up to him and present my prisoner- “I caught that son-of-a-bitch, Sergeant!” everyone laughed, Sergeant Ibanez played along, looking very serious, reached up and took the “prisoner” from me and leaned in, as if he was listening to the “prisoner” tell him something. Suddenly, he looked surprised, then told me in a hurried voice, “Eebizibol man says he got ten brothers, they all running around the theater building. So, Mastermind! You are so good at catching them, you go catch them, one by one- and when you bring them to me, make them double time, too!

I had to do ten laps around the building with my rifle at port arms- running every inch but longer since I had to report all the way to Sergeant Ibanez, who dutifully took each “prisoner” into custody- It was one of the most memorable days in my whole Army career.

So, that day, in my training platoon, until graduation, I was called “Mastermind”. I learned from Sergeant Ibanez, being a smart ass, does not always work out the way you might think it will. Someone else is always smarter.

Thus it is, I thought the handle, “Mastermind” would be appropriate for that forum and I kept it when we became The Mess.net. It is kind of my personal little memorial to the greatest training Sergeant I ever knew.
                Glad you kept it, thanks for sharing Mastermind, great memory, and what you said is so true!

Comment

I pulled down a wooden deck at my place last year and found an ipod near one of the posts. I gave it a wipe over, plugged a charger in and it lit up, good as new.
                  The previous owners are still in town and had actually rented Mum and Dad's place while they were building their new place. I called Jase up and he came around to pick it up. They had torn the house to pieces looking for it, but with 4 small boys, it could have met its demise in 1000 different ways. They thought it must have been flushed down a toilet.

Comment

My Sister's husband had an uncle who fell into a bunch of money and came to visit. He had his money in bundles of $100.00 bills (this was about 1962 when a dollar could get you a full meal). I went over to her house after school and they were all in the kitchen having a really good laugh and conversation.- But, she had three little kids. I heard the kids in the back of the house laughing and went in to check on them, and they had been putting $100.00 bills in the toilet and flushing them and would laugh like crazy when the money went down. My nephew had about a thousand bucks in his diaper! We found two empty bundle wrappers- and had no idea how much money was flushed. The uncle just laughed- said, "Oh, don't worry about it, there's more where that came from." How he got the money I never did find out.

Anyway: easy come- easy go- right?

Comment

Social Insurance card.

Went missing for a year. Eventually found it.

Comment

Originally posted by Hildemel View Post
                        Social Insurance card.

Went missing for a year. Eventually found it.
                        How did you find it? Heck, how did you lose it?

Comment

Something I've lost and am hoping to find one day is a paperback copy of 'The Dambusters' by Paul Brickhill. It's a print from sometime in the 50s that belonged to my Granddad - he passed away in 1984 and at some point after that I asked my Grandma if I could have it and I read it to death as a teenager. Anyhow, it disappeared at some point when I was younger - it's almost certainly buried in a box somewhere at my parents.
                          I've recently moved into a bigger home so I should be able to get a load of boxed up stuff they've been hanging onto for me - am hopeful it's in one of them somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by gaz View Post
                            Something I've lost and am hoping to find one day is a paperback copy of 'The Dambusters' by Paul Brickhill. It's a print from sometime in the 50s that belonged to my Granddad - he passed away in 1984 and at some point after that I asked my Grandma if I could have it and I read it to death as a teenager. Anyhow, it disappeared at some point when I was younger - it's almost certainly buried in a box somewhere at my parents.
                            I've recently moved into a bigger home so I should be able to get a load of boxed up stuff they've been hanging onto for me - am hopeful it's in one of them somewhere.
                            I do that, too - Put several books that I have treasured, away for safe keeping- then "poof" they are gone for decades into storage purgatory. I just recently saved two treasures from eternal storage dissapearance. "The Anarchist Cookbook"- (I know- a dumb thing to treasure, right?) and an original first edition Michael Criton book - illustrated copy (no longer available) "The Eaters of the Dead" They have been missing for almost 30 years! I almost cried over recovering the Criton book- the artwork in it is incredible.

BTW- The Dam Busters - I have my copy here somewhere, too. In a box, no doubt! I almost wore it out reading it as you did.

Comment

Originally posted by digrar View Post
                              I pulled down a wooden deck at my place last year and found an ipod near one of the posts. I gave it a wipe over, plugged a charger in and it lit up, good as new.
                              The previous owners are still in town and had actually rented Mum and Dad's place while they were building their new place. I called Jase up and he came around to pick it up. They had torn the house to pieces looking for it, but with 4 small boys, it could have met its demise in 1000 different ways. They thought it must have been flushed down a toilet.
                              A wooden deck? Those funnelweb spiders will miss their ipod.

Comment

I keep old newspapers. I know precisely where they are though. The oldest ones are from the nineties. I have the newspapers printed at the turn of the millenium. It´s funny to read old "fresh" news and even funnier to read the predictions of politicians and commentators.

Comment

Working...
                                X