• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civility is on the decline and we all bear responsibility

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-07-0...tralia/9935110

Civility is on the decline and we all bear responsibility

By Peter Kurti

At one time, we might have looked to our civic leaders — including politicians — to set an example when it comes to living among people whose opinions we neither share nor like.Standards of common courtesy and decency seem to be disappearing fast from our society.

But the ongoing spat between two senators suggests we might have met a new low when it comes to respectful behaviour.
    I'm generally pretty good, but I'll admit that door to door/cold calling sales/collections/surveyors/scamers get no civility from me at all and the same for the people in shopping centres doing the same thing.

I blame the internet...........

Comment

Piss off diggles.

Comment

In the age of social media and anonymous interaction, Civility is becoming as rare as a superpower and that is also bleeding into real life.

That being said, Hanson-Young is a professional victim who doesn’t believe that women are responsible for their safety and Leyonhjelm is a 4chan troll who can barely function in society.

Comment

Originally posted by HisRoyalHighness View Post
          That being said, Hanson-Young is a professional victim who doesn’t believe that women are responsible for their safety and Leyonhjelm is a 4chan troll who can barely function in society.

Leyonhjelm did quite well for himself out in the world, educated, long career as a vet and in agribusiness. Involved in the community. Two dads had less than a year as a bank teller and the rest of her time in uni or working in NGOs before becoming a Senator at 25, with about all the life experience of an avocado. A pox on South Australia for electing her twice/ a pox on the system for enabling her to be elected twice with barely enough primary votes to fill a shoe box.

Comment

Originally posted by digrar View Post

Leyonhjelm did quite well for himself out in the world, educated, long career as a vet and in agribusiness. Involved in the community. Two dads had less than a year as a bank teller and the rest of her time in uni or working in NGOs before becoming a Senator at 25, with about all the life experience of an avocado. A pox on South Australia for electing her twice/ a pox on the system for enabling her to be elected twice with barely enough primary votes to fill a shoe box.
            Interesting, did not know that.

You think Australia will see more Hanson-Youngs or Leyonhjelms?

Comment

The Greens are definitely on a run, fortunately that means the loony left of the Labor party loses out. And more fortunate that, outside of a few inner city electorates and Tasmania, they're thin on the ground.
              The right are pretty disjointed, one year its One Nation, the next it's Palmer United, next it's the religious peanuts with Cory "I think the 1950's was great Bernardi, they grab a seat here and there and sometimes they might hold the balance of power, then invariably the micro party turns to shit due to personalities and everyone is running as an independent. We'll see more of that, our system allows for it and the two main mobs are so close together that anyone more than a few degrees left or right has issues with both parties.

Comment

I expect politicians to be better than the general population; well educated, well experienced and well spoken. If they have to insult each other, I want them to do it with the venomous eloquence of Winston Churchill or Dorothy Parker, not just yelling out "shag" in parliament like some kind of...person.

I work in emergency services, and see first hand just how uncivil people can be. We get told not to respond to it, that people are panicked, are in an emergency situation, etc, but that's not true in all cases. Some people are just fucking feral and don't know how to speak to other people properly. I'm probably easily offended, but "yeah", and "nuh" are no way to speak to people. Stand up straight, look people in the eye (but not like in a creepy way), and don't speak like you've got a mouth full of marbles.

Comment

Originally posted by HisRoyalHighness View Post
                  In the age of social media and anonymous interaction, Civility is becoming as rare as a superpower and that is also bleeding into real life.

Social media and interaction through a screen (i.e without a risk to be punched) are indeed a part of the issue
                  The society turning into an entitled individualist one is the other part. Spoiled kids not getting what they feel entitled to have doubled by the fact that everybody thinks he will be better on his own (killing community solidarity) gives what we have now

Comment

CANADA !! Save us ! Save the world ! If that's fine with you, of course.

But yeah, people are becoming more and more rude and assholes.

Fuck millenials

Comment

civility is dead and the politically correct moral police types have killed it.

Comment

As soon as someone regardless of age get out of his home and nerdling environment, people get along.

It’s so easy to toss grenades trough a monitor screen with little to no accountability these days.

IME, most people get along just fine out of their place. The gung-ho attitude and mob mentality is more hidden behind a keyboard nowadays.

Cowardice is a thing of our time.

Comment

Well, if you think the US is lacking in civility don't come to France then...

Comment

IME, most people get along just fine out of their place.
                            Jack
                            I would like to think like you but frankly this is not the case in my perception
                            Road rages, insults toward medics/paramedics, desk workers (be it in banks, social services, post office etc) are increasing
                            Statistics are not lying
                            I ll give you just one quote : https://www.lemonde.fr/sante/article...9_1651302.html

Also weather has an impact
                            With increased heat, arguments get more heated

Comment

As above, those things are all issues here too.

Comment

Working...
                              X