Burger me - a threat to New Zealand

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I eat meat substitutes.

My fiancé and I mix imitation ground beef with the real stuff. The fake meat looks pretty much the same and absorbs the flavour from the meat.

In the end it saves us money as it allows us to save on meat which tends to be far more expensive than the fake stuff. Here the ground beef at the grocery store costs, I think, twice as much as the fake vegetarian stuff.
    So win-win.

Comment

I have dehy meals I take camping in summer that's part beef and vegetable. It appears they make a 5 ml layer of it and cut into small rectangles. Its close but not really.
      Still take meat.

They said a margarine would take over , even said it was healthier than real butter. Failed on both arguments.

How would you replicate lamb or even beef flavour. As says on the packet they had to add beef flavour from guess where...

Indians are the ultimate case for vegetarian food. Using lentils and pulses the most
      https://www.livekindly.co/forbes-ind...t-consumption/
      [COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.74)]India previously maintained an impressive percentage of plant-based diets in its population; in 2014, some areas saw more than [/COLOR]70 percent [COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.74)]of people identifying as vegetarian. However, [/COLOR]the figures[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.74)] appear to have flipped, with over 70 percent of people in the country now eating meat.

ooops
      [/COLOR]

Comment

Lamb - even frozen NZ stuff - is more expensive than steak here. I like it but I've virtually stopped eating it.

As for the veggie burgers, I'll try them with an open mind at some point. I'm already veggie two days a week and I've always loved fish/seafood so I only eat red meat two or three days a week now... That said, Onglet marinaded in red wine and rosemary on the BBQ this afternoon

Comment

Originally posted by Mordoror View Post

This
          Veganism is the other side of the coin of Meaters
          Too much meat is as bad as not enough
          Plus processed vegan food is not as healthy as some people think (lot of additives) nor as ecological (soya for example is responsible for huge amout of forest destruction)

In rich world we are eating too much meat which has a real impact at ecological and health level
          80 g / day of animal proteins is enough for human needs (including fish, seafood, eggs, cheese)
          in USA it's more than 100 kg/year/inhabitant of meat so around 275 g/ day/inhabitant. 3.5x the needed dose
          But no animal proteins is as bad

A diversified regimen (a bit of meat, a bit of vegetables, a bit of cereals, a bit of fish, a bit of eggs and cheeses, a bit of fruits) is what we need

I think that the rule is 1 g of protein per kg of body weight for average people, 1.5g-2g for bodybuilders. Funnily enough, I never had issues sticking with 1g per kg rule while hitting the gym like there was no tomorrow and still building muscles....must have been my genetics and the excessive testosterone/growth hormone levels in my 20s.

Anyway, I am now at an age where I can no longer treat my body like a "garbage dump" when it comes to food. These days I substitute most of my meat intake with milk products (cottage cheese/ricotta ftw), eggs, and soy/tofu, and only consume meat at most twice a week. Meat is overrated and is actually detrimental to health when consumed in excessive amounts typical for average Westerners.

Comment

Originally posted by Mordoror View Post

Plus processed vegan food is not as healthy as some people think (lot of additives) nor as ecological (soya for example is responsible for huge amout of forest destruction)

Sometimes it's just pure fat. Vegetable oils or even the bad palm seed oils.

I have a habit of reading ingredients lists. I noticed this on vegetarian stuff.

Here in Germany it is totally weird. The vegetarian and vegan stuff is often more expensive then real meat and fish.

Cashing in on the wealthy consumers looking after health.

Some products are real shit some astonishingly good.

I very much like soy nuggets and a vegetarian ground beef I use for "bolognese" sauce from Aldi.

Comment

Meat replacements are definitely more expensive that the real deal...why should I spend $20 on some crap when I can get the 3lbs of chicken for $8?

Comment

Because American chickens are pumped full of shit?

Comment

If you give me a delicious meat alternative, I can do without the meat industry and their obscenities.

Comment

Originally posted by Te Zorro View Post
                    Because American chickens are pumped full of shit?
                    Who the fuck knows, I got organic and not organic at the grocery...trusting a label is bullshit considering most of the labels are lies. Either way, there's a reason Humans have evolved to eat meat over thousands of years.

Comment

Originally posted by Soldat_Américain View Post

Either way, there's a reason Humans have evolved to eat meat over thousands of years.
                      Is the answer, adaptation and evolution?

Comment

Originally posted by Soldat_Américain View Post

Who the fuck knows, I got organic and not organic at the grocery...trusting a label is bullshit considering most of the labels are lies. Either way, there's a reason Humans have evolved to eat meat over thousands of years.
                        Human evolved to eat small amount of meat but also other things
                        Our dental organization is not purely meat eaters nor purely vegetable eaters
                        Same for our digestive system
                        Maybe we should indeed respect our evolution pathway and eat what we are deemed for

Comment

We wouldn't have gotten here without the energy from eating animals. probably starting with including scavenging and cannibalism. No wonder we need religion and laws incase we slip back to our primitive stone axe theithing relative
                          Evolving and supporting a big brain otherwise was impossible without eating meat and fat. How about a menstruating woman and iron?

To stay pretty and healthy. They charge a fortune for collagen and a steak is loaded with the good stuff. That connective tissue is rich in it. "Beauty comes from within".Irons the other major sales pitch and Animal based proteins and vitamins and minerals are more easily absorbed than plant based
                          Popping pills and smearing on beauty cream is trillion $ industry now. Meat maybe expensive but it has excellent hidden benefits beside taste and doesn't rely on a manufacturers label to know its really got it.

Perhaps living a sedate modern life the vegetarian gets a pass. Though maybe look again at Asia where there's no dairy and less meat. Your stature will be smaller, teeth and bones weaker.
                          There are no olympic weight lifters who don't consume animal protein.
                          https://www.mensjournal.com/health-f...vegan-w434203/ ... protein shakes

Another point is not all farmed land is suitable for cropping. You can't just stop using it. Its a hungrier world each day

Comment

Working...
                          X