Burger me - a threat to New Zealand

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burger me - a threat to New Zealand

The vegan product requires 95% less land and creates 87% less greenhouse gas emissions, but some politicians are seething.

Vegetable based "Meat" is pretty big news here too, politicians from beef producing electorates routinely get all bitter and twisted about faux meat being in the meat section in shops. Same things with vegetable juice aka almond and soy milk, being sold as milk in the dairy section.

Comment

I've eaten a local version of this burger (they couldn't get the paddies in time for an event so got the recipes). It was actually pretty good. And I'm a big meat eater.

Comment

Adapt or die, it's the capitalist way.

I don't mean to sound flippant, and I feel for farmers who are going to be at a disadvantage as lab-grown foods become more widespread, but government interference is the antithesis of the free market. That being said, according to the article Air NZ would have gone out of business if not for government interference, and I think it's good for soft power to have good quality industries that are associated with the country. I generally associate NZ with forward-thinking social progress; it was the first nation to give all women the vote, it banned nuclear-powered navy vessels from its ports (although I think that's changed), it legalised same-sex marriage a few years ago without a bullshit plebiscite or leaving it up to the judiciary, and it's got a young-ass female PM who's on maternity leave without the country having collective conniptions. It's not surprising therefore that Air NZ is getting global kudos for serving this product.

Comment

Originally posted by Te Zorro View Post
          And I'm a big meat eater.
          We know.......................

Comment

Uh...how much crap is in there to make it bleed and taste like beef? I seriously don't understand this crap, if you want imitation something you actually aren't being a vegan or vegetarian...

Comment

Originally posted by EvilMinion View Post
              ...That being said, according to the article Air NZ would have gone out of business if not for government interference,....
              Sort of. Australia (thanks John Howard) reneged on the agreement to allow Air NZ the same rights as Australian airlines have in NZ - to fly to internal Australian destinations. To get around that piece of political douche-baggery Air NZ bought the giant dud that was Ansett which then managed to swallow dollars and excrete debt by the barrowload.

Comment

Originally posted by Linedoggie View Post
                We know.......................
                That's why we've never got together. Not enough for my appetite.

Comment

Originally posted by TheKiwi View Post

Sort of. Australia (thanks John Howard) reneged on the agreement to allow Air NZ the same rights as Australian airlines have in NZ - to fly to internal Australian destinations. To get around that piece of political douche-baggery Air NZ bought the giant dud that was Ansett which then managed to swallow dollars and excrete debt by the barrowload.

God, Australia is the worst.

Comment

Originally posted by Soldat_Américain View Post
                    Uh...how much crap is in there to make it bleed and taste like beef? I seriously don't understand this crap, if you want imitation something you actually aren't being a vegan or vegetarian...
                    This
                    Veganism is the other side of the coin of Meaters
                    Too much meat is as bad as not enough
                    Plus processed vegan food is not as healthy as some people think (lot of additives) nor as ecological (soya for example is responsible for huge amout of forest destruction)

In rich world we are eating too much meat which has a real impact at ecological and health level
                    80 g / day of animal proteins is enough for human needs (including fish, seafood, eggs, cheese)
                    in USA it's more than 100 kg/year/inhabitant of meat so around 275 g/ day/inhabitant. 3.5x the needed dose
                    But no animal proteins is as bad

A diversified regimen (a bit of meat, a bit of vegetables, a bit of cereals, a bit of fish, a bit of eggs and cheeses, a bit of fruits) is what we need

Comment

Originally posted by Mordoror View Post
                      In rich world we are eating too much meat which has a real impact at ecological and health level
                      80 g / day of animal proteins is enough for human needs (including fish, seafood, eggs, cheese)
                      in USA it's more than 100 kg/year/inhabitant of meat so around 275 g/ day/inhabitant. 3.5x the needed dose
                      But no animal proteins is as bad

A diversified regimen (a bit of meat, a bit of vegetables, a bit of cereals, a bit of fish, a bit of eggs and cheeses, a bit of fruits) is what we need
                      I fully agree with this. I have clearly change my food intake, and as I like cooking I must say that I now really take pleasure in cooking good meat, not generic crapy meat.
                      I equilibrate my regimen on a week, not a daily bases, it's easier and it allow much more diversity. Once a week a good steak.
                      I'm still above the 80g/day because of cheese, but this is my weakness.

Comment

Originally posted by urielventis View Post

I fully agree with this. I have clearly change my food intake, and as I like cooking I must say that I now really take pleasure in cooking good meat, not generic crapy meat.
                        I equilibrate my regimen on a week, not a daily bases, it's easier and it allow much more diversity. Once a week a good steak.
                        I'm still above the 80g/day because of cheese, but this is my weakness.
                        I have slightly and progressively changed my habits too
                        Less red meat, better quality (more expensive so yes, less of it but more tasty)
                        More home made food (Last afternoon i made Lasagna which ended for 2 meals for 2 with 2 burgers only ..... which means there was only half a burger by meal)
                        A bit more eggs and poultry than before
                        My GF is also pushing for more fish .... but i find it awkward to cook (except fishes like tuna and swordfish ... so it's her game)
                        Also ham. A slice of 40g with plenty of side vegetables + a bit of cheese is enough for a good meal

Don't worry about your 80g. It can vary up to 100/120g
                        Just don't do twice or thrice more
                        In short one burger of 125 g a day is more than enough. No need to have bacon+eggs in the morning, a tenderloin of 150g on lunch and a 300 g T bone for diner
                        As i said, too much is bad. Not enough is bad too

Comment

I tend to eat more pork and chicken now rather than beef and lamb. That's mostly because beef and lamb are getting mega expensive here. Some cuts are still cheap; pork is much cheaper generally though and more versatile.

Comment

Have to wonder if lamb is expensive in New Zealand because a lot of yours seems to get shipped here. It's always on shelves here and a lot of the time, it's been cheaper than British lamb.

Comment

Originally posted by gaz View Post
                              Have to wonder if lamb is expensive in New Zealand because a lot of yours seems to get shipped here. It's always on shelves here and a lot of the time, it's been cheaper than British lamb.
                              It's cheaper there than it is here. Economies of scale I suspect. It'll only get worse for us as we increase exports to China. Thank god Indians don't usually eat beef I say- that would put the price through the roof.

Comment

Working...
                              X