Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boomers Philippines basketball match erupts in 'sickening' brawl sees play abandoned

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boomers Philippines basketball match erupts in 'sickening' brawl sees play abandoned

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-07-0...ndoned/9932910

Boomers and Philippines basketball match erupts in 'sickening' brawl that sees play abandoned

A wild brawl has seen Australia's FIBA World Cup qualifying clash with the Philippines in Bulacan abandoned early, after no fewer than 13 players were ejected from the match.

Tensions boiled over with four minutes remaining in the third quarter, with players and officials from both sides, plus a number of unruly fans, flooding the court in disgraceful scenes of violence.
    Video at link.

Some allegations of contact between Kickert and Philippines players during get the warm up. I haven't seen them, but if the elbow charge over reaction from Pogoy was anything to go by, there was probably nothing in it. Kickert's reaction was pretty average too, there needed to be a physical confrontation after the charge, I don't know if it also needed to be an elbow to the head though. Everything after that was outrageous.

https://youtu.be/nVUth1m5Dvs

Comment

Seems they haven't heard of the word "sportsmanship".

Comment

Two sides to the story, read the comments section... but its basketball, who cares.

Comment

The initial charge elbow was piss poor. The Kickert retaliation was over the top and deserves a few games ban, I'm picking he'll get at least 3 games. What happened after that is nothing short of disgraceful and is undefendble. No two sides to the story there, just wrong. Taking selfies and what not afterwards, totally classless.

Comment

Ahh, there is your problem... you were looking for class from the Philippine Basketball team. There's good reason why they get stabbed when they go out on parties.

Comment

Seems that sports need a lesson from Rugby...

Comment

It was two group of assholes meeting on a court being dicks and finally just showing who they are on TV. Apparently the Aussies have been calling the Filipinos Monkeys and have been physical on the warm ups... egoes being fickle and losing pushed the other side to retaliate.

Comment

Kickert did hit Phillipino players, after he was tripped, while running past their huddle, which was set up in the Boomers half of the court.
                  It worked, Kickert got fired up and did something stupid that he got ejected for. The rest of the plan hasn't probably gone as intended.

Comment

I’m just glad none of tho coaches got assassinated, you know, like Filipino mayors.

Comment

Originally posted by Flagg View Post
                      I’m just glad none of tho coaches got assassinated, you know, like Filipino mayors.
                      Well are they into drugs... cause who knows...

Comment

Good lord the way the Aussies are whinging about it on the media you would think they didnt start it. For guys that big, they are being a baby about it.

Comment

The thing that started it happens in sport on a daily basis, and we fully expect him to get a decent banning for it. It's the over reaction that is news. Coaches, players, officials, fans, water boys and floor sweepers don't normally kick the shit out of an opposition player then take selfies with shit eating grins on their faces afterwards.

Comment

True but maybe theres to sides to the story, the issues started way before the game, on the warm ups, with the Aussie team ripping out the other team sponsors slogans from the court and the racial slurs. Granted it is a strategy specially hen you know the opponent is fickle minded and there are some risks, but I think the Aussie got what they wanted and mindfucked the opponent. Acting all innocent and the fake outrage is just bonus.

Comment

Drawing a long bow for mine. The whole logo thing in particular being used as an excuse is outrageous. You'd have thought they'd wiped their arse with the national flag the way it's been portrayed, instead of the pretty bland reality of staff pulling up a slip hazard so dudes on 5 and 10 million dollar NBA contracts don't get hurt.
                              The alleged racial slurs, I find hard to believe, the boomers have an African refugee and a couple of indigenous boys on the roster, they play with and against African Americans and Maoris on a weekly basis, we'd just played Japan with no issues. 20 years ago, I wouldn't have been surprised, but not so much today.
                              The hitting of players during the warm ups has been identified as a reaction to being tripped up.

You'd expect a few hard fouls during the game after that, not what happened.

Comment

Working...
                              X