Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wargames - 40K, Warhammer, Flames of War etc.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wargames - 40K, Warhammer, Flames of War etc.

Nerd wargames thread, tabletop only, console & PC master race keep out. I'll start a separate thread for boardgames. Maybe another for RPGers.

40K, Warhammer, Flames of War, Squad Leader etc. all welcome.

I'm still into my Warhammer Fantasy Battle and I also recently bought the 40K starter set. I've got five main Warhammer armies - Beastmen, The Empire, Skaven, Lizardmen and High Elves plus odds and sods from four or five others.

Here's some of my Lizardmen for a starter. I've painted all their weapons as if they were made of jade.

And the heavy hitters...

While it's nothing elaborate like your miniatures, me and a mate used to play major D&D wars using cutout counters. We'd draw up grids on cardboard, number them and them write down their basic attributes and insert our player characters into the mix. Battle then commenced. It was fun.

Played a fair bit of Squad Leader as a younger person. Not too many fans of that around as both the rules and the playing style were both finicky and awkward.

Comment

Nice. Not really into the game(s) but like the background for both settings and have read quite a few books. Would definitely love to discuss the lore.

Comment

Since i first leardned about wh40k i think that it has one of the best lore in sci-fi. Maybe even THE best.
        Dark Angels lead the way

Comment

Originally posted by kwadrat005 View Post
          Dark Angels lead the way

Kiwi, we using this thread for general 40k stuff again, or just the table top stuff?

Comment

Originally posted by Spartan10k View Post

Kiwi, we using this thread for general 40k stuff again, or just the table top stuff?
            A general tabletop thread would be nice.

I´m currently painting WW1 FoW minis at the moment. WW1 tanks are fantastic beasts and the BF models were a joy to paint (though not always a joy to build...).

Since I moved I´m also trying to get back into SAGA, but haven´t been able to find anyone to play with. Atleast I managed to finish my Jomsviking warband...

The Warlord of the Band.

Hearthguard unit armed with axes and shields.

Second Hearthguard unit, these fellas are armed with heavy hitting Dane Axes.
            Last edited by hOMEr_jAy; 22-04-2015, 06:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartan10k View Post

Anything and everything 40K is fine by me. Discussing who would win in a battle between Ultramarines and Worldeaters - whatever.

Also, nice Vikings. If you were 12,000km closer I'd totally give Saga a try.

In other news, going to be passing the nerd torch down a generation on the weekend. Mate is bringing his 10 year old son over and we're going to introduce him to Warhammer.

Comment

So the new Total War Warhammer trailer got me looking through the Vampire Count stuff on Gamesworkshop and my god have they become an impressive race. I dabbled in Warhammer itself only briefly before losing sight of it for quite a while (i still maintained an interest in the lore of it all though from time to time). When i first experimented with the Vampire Counts (my chosen faction) it was mostly as a result of their back story and their less than mainstream status. They had a few nifty attributes as a race but were otherwise not so impressive as compared to the Empire and others. Now, having just checked, and my God...they have some seriously awesome stuff to their name these days!!

Comment

Originally posted by TheKiwi View Post

Anything and everything 40K is fine by me. Discussing who would win in a battle between Ultramarines and Worldeaters - whatever.

In other news, going to be passing the nerd torch down a generation on the weekend. Mate is bringing his 10 year old son over and we're going to introduce him to Warhammer.

Atleast the parents will know where the allowance will end up. Have you looked at warmachine/hordes?

Comment

Yeah I've looked at Warmachine. The rules seem pretty decent, but the figures are somewhat meh. Since probably 95% of my hobby time is spent not gaming but preparing to game, I'm not attracted.

Comment

Some more of my Lizardmen, this time Saurus warriors.

Comment

Only played Saga, once, but it was lots of fun. The rules appear to be really simple, but the game has another layer of complexity you wouldn´t anticipate at first. In-game ressource management and anticipation of what the enemy plans to do is quite important and the core of the game. There´s a hobby shop in my town, I might head over there and see what the local playerbase is like, when I´ll find the time for it. Otherwise, if you´d ever make it 12,000km in my direction, I´d be ready to send my Jomsvikings against you.

Nice Lizardmen. I always quite liked them. I´d really, really like to give WHF another try after all these years, but unfortunately my last game (8th edition IIRC) wasn´t too much of a joy, because of how much the rules have changed.

Comment

WorldEaters all the way. Matt Ward might disagree though.

Comment

Introduced mate's son to Warhammering today which he seemed to enjoy. Certainly he was enthusiastic enough about coming back for another go. I think he liked beating his dads army the best.

Comment

Originally posted by STIG View Post
                              WorldEaters all the way. Matt Ward might disagree though.
                              Space Vikings > Everyone else

Comment

Working...
                              X