No announcement yet.

Cancer crowdfunding fundraiser for my friend

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Open something up when needed FP. And I repeat Junkho┬┤s wise words.

Comment

Originally posted by flamming_python View Post
      Hi everyone,

Thought I'd post an update. The campaign has been over for a few days now. In total $550 was raised; of which $450 came from 15 contributors of this site. It was some way short of the goal; but it doesn't matter. I'd earlier covered the prepayment as I mentioned before, then transferred what I raised here to Irina; she got a bit more from other contributions and the rest of the money she managed to borrow in the end. It's a pain in the ass to have to borrow, but it's a lot better to owe money and be healthy - rather than owe no money and be dead.

Today she's flying out to Estonia to the clinic and will begin treatment. From what I understand it will take a few weeks. Then she will travel to St. Petersburg where she will be diagnosed again; and what we are hoping for at this stage is the all-clear, that there are no more traces of cancer left in and around her thyroid.
      I'll keep everyone posted on her progress.

I want to extend my heartfelt thanks to everyone here who showed support and/or donated money. There are many people you don't know but who know Irina, and they are grateful to you, as am I.
      I am sorry on such a thread , but I need to ask . Why does society deny such treatment without the payment of monies ? You have to understand I'm from the UK , so the thought is alien to me .

Apologies in advance .

Comment

Originally posted by bfc1001 View Post

I am sorry on such a thread , but I need to ask . Why does society deny such treatment without the payment of monies ? You have to understand I'm from the UK , so the thought is alien to me .

Apologies in advance .
        From what I heard radio-iodine treatment is covered as part of the state healthcare system in Russia (Obligatory Medical Insurance as it's called here).

The problem is 1). You have to wait in a queue for it (from 6 months and up), and Irina simply didn't have that sort of time as by the time of her diagnosis the cancer was already undergoing metastasis, and 2). Russian medical regulations stupidly set upper concentration limits on the iodine treatment, and the dose that was prescribed to Irina by the diagnostic center as having the best chances of success for treating her was well over that limit.

This pretty much left paying for treatment in a clinic, and one not in Russia but in the EU - as the only realistic option.
        Last edited by flamming_python; 27-05-2018, 06:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by flamming_python View Post

From what I heard radio-iodine treatment is covered as part of the state healthcare system in Russia (Obligatory Medical Insurance as it's called here).

The problem is 1). You have to wait in a queue for it (from 6 months and up), and Irina simply didn't have that sort of time as by the time of her diagnosis the cancer was already undergoing metastasis, and 2). Russian medical regulations stupidly set upper concentration limits on the iodine treatment, and the dose that was prescribed to Irina by the diagnostic center as having the best chances of success for treating her was well over that limit.

This pretty much left paying for treatment in a clinic, and one not in Russia but in the EU - as the only realistic option.
          Appreciate the reply fp . It makes sense to go private in such circumstances . Hopefully things will go well .

Comment

Working...
          X