Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bill Paxton's family files wrongful death suit against hospital, surgeon

http://www.wfaa.com/life/bill-paxton...geon/517968040

The lawsuit alleges that the heart complications that ultimately took Paxton’s life were a result of negligence by the hospital and the surgeon who operated on him. Paxton died Feb. 25, 2017, just 11 days after having heart surgery at Cedars Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles.
    The hospital “misrepresented and/or concealed information relating to the risks of surgery and care that would be provided and/or failed to adequately explain the proposed treatment or procedure and/or failed to disclose that [surgeon] Ali Khoynezhad was going to use a high-risk and unconventional surgical approach with which he lacked experience and which was … beyond the scope of his privileges,” the lawsuit alleges.
    ************************************************** **************************************
    Bill Paxton appeared in films such as Twister, Tombstone, the Terminator, Aliens, Titanic, etc

Sounds bad. Bill Paxton was a great guy.

Comment

Originally posted by riderboy View Post
      Sounds bad. Bill Paxton was a great guy.
      he was a hometown guy, born and raised here, he went to high school at the same place singer John Denver did (Arlington heights high school) and was at the Texas hotel parking lot as a kid the morning JFK was in town and came out and spoke to the crown on 22 Nov 1963, same morning I saw JFK. a few miles away. Paxton was from a local family that owned a lumber company Paxton Lumber. IIRC

Paxtons surgery was basically same as I had 3 yrs ago, aortic bileaflet valve replacement (but I had an excellent surgeon as Mrs C works for the hospital holding company and knows all the surgeons)

Comment

Originally posted by commanding View Post

he was a hometown guy, born and raised here, he went to high school at the same place singer John Denver did (Arlington heights high school) and was at the Texas hotel parking lot as a kid the morning JFK was in town and came out and spoke to the crown on 22 Nov 1963, same morning I saw JFK. a few miles away. Paxton was from a local family that owned a lumber company Paxton Lumber. IIRC

Paxtons surgery was basically same as I had 3 yrs ago, aortic bileaflet valve replacement (but I had an excellent surgeon as Mrs C works for the hospital holding company and knows all the surgeons)
        Wonder what happened, that's a pretty common surgery. Hopefully it wasn't an anesthetic complication!! ; )

Comment

Wonder what happened, that's a pretty common surgery. Hopefully it wasn't an anesthetic complication!! ; )
          I don't know how old the surgeon is.....nor his experience but I always want an older surgeon who has some experience, not a 35 year old guy who has barely started shaving. Lawyers will come out the winners unfortunately.

Comment

"I don't know how old the surgeon is.....nor his experience but I always want an older surgeon who has some experience, not a 35 year old guy who has barely started shaving."

I agree, it'll be much safer, to say the least.

Comment

Originally posted by commanding View Post

I don't know how old the surgeon is.....nor his experience but I always want an older surgeon who has some experience, not a 35 year old guy who has barely started shaving. Lawyers will come out the winners unfortunately.
              I hate to sound like the old fart here, but the newer guys coming out were not as well trained as the newer guys that I came out with 30 years go. They've mandated fewer hours worked and less call. The old system was harsher, but you got to do a shitload more stuff. The old joke was that every other night call was bad. You missed half the cases. And, you were trained to work when you were tired. Sounds bad, but when you get out into practice, you will work when you're tired. Best to learn how when there's help available. Point is, there's a lot of truth in what you say.

Comment

“misrepresented and/or concealed information relating to the risks of surgery and care that would be provided
                I'm surprised by this claim. Surely a consent form detailing the risks and complications is a standard thing before surgery in the western world.

I hate to sound like the old fart here, but the newer guys coming out were not as well trained as the newer guys that I came out with 30 years go. They've mandated fewer hours worked and less call.
                Similar here in the UK. A few specialties you have zero chance of getting a consultant post as a newly qualified consultant because you lack experience, so you're expected to do a few years in a fellowship getting your operating numbers up before you're appointable.

The horror stories about junior doctor workloads back in the day are legendary, but if you think they've easily cut 30+ hours a week, add that up over 5 years of registrar training that's actually thousands of hours less experience when you qualify.
                Last edited by Corrupt; 14-02-2018, 09:05 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X