Screenshots of games you play

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Xaito View Post

I've recently "upgraded" my old PC - and I use that term loosely - and paid over 2000€.
    It started with me wanting more than my then 8Gb of RAM. Since my old mainboard supported only DDR3 and my CPU was quite old, I decided to go new mainboard, new ram and new CPU.
    Long story short, I ended up buying a I9, a high-end mainboard (with RGB lighting), 32Gig of ram (with RGB lighting), an AIO watercooler (with RGB lighting) for the CPU and since the mainboard had a M.2 port I threw in a 500Gig SSD into the mix... oh bought a new case with glass side to see all that RGB goodness. Transplanted my old PSU and GPU from the old machine.
    Building your own enthusiast's PC is not always all that cheap - at least when you're not going the AMD route for poor people.
    The times where you could build a almost high end PC for like 700€ seem to be over.
    These days RAM is expensive, Intel CPUs are expensive, nvidia GPUs are expensive, PSUs with good rating and decent cable management are fairly expensive, cooling can be expensive if you want to get everything out of your hardware - and if you want it to look prettier than a plastic monstrosity, it's more expensive still.
    Not true:

the 1000 USD machine will perform admirably for the next ~2-4 years.

Also, I hope you got a mainboard and a CPU that actually support overclocking.....Otherwise the money you spent on the CPU cooler is wasted. Not to mention that the GPU is the most common bottleneck in gaming performance, so it makes no sense for gamers to constantly obsess about CPU overclocking while ignoring GPU overclocking and cooling....

Comment

• Originally posted by RSone View Post
      IDK if it's still a thing, but consider getting a decently beefy laptop together with a GPU enclosure. That way you still have some portability and can hook it up to an external discrete GPU if you need graphical power. IIRC Razer did/does this with its blade and blade stealth laptops.

Good point. The GPU enclosures are a thing, but only for a limited selection of laptops Unfortunately, such solutions are pretty expensive (the enclosure itself is hundreds of dollars):

A more "hacky" solution is also possible....but is a PITA to setup by the average gamer and is therefore for enthusiasts only...

Comment

• Originally posted by Xaito View Post

I've recently "upgraded" my old PC - and I use that term loosely - and paid over 2000€.
        It started with me wanting more than my then 8Gb of RAM. Since my old mainboard supported only DDR3 and my CPU was quite old, I decided to go new mainboard, new ram and new CPU.
        Long story short, I ended up buying a I9, a high-end mainboard (with RGB lighting), 32Gig of ram (with RGB lighting), an AIO watercooler (with RGB lighting) for the CPU and since the mainboard had a M.2 port I threw in a 500Gig SSD into the mix... oh bought a new case with glass side to see all that RGB goodness. Transplanted my old PSU and GPU from the old machine.
        Building your own enthusiast's PC is not always all that cheap - at least when you're not going the AMD route for poor people.
        The times where you could build a almost high end PC for like 700€ seem to be over.
        These days RAM is expensive, Intel CPUs are expensive, nvidia GPUs are expensive, PSUs with good rating and decent cable management are fairly expensive, cooling can be expensive if you want to get everything out of your hardware - and if you want it to look prettier than a plastic monstrosity, it's more expensive still.

The i9 was totally unnecessary. Could have gotten a much cheaper newer gen i7 CPU that would have been more than appropriate for what you wanted. i9 is a massive gimmick at this point. I do like your RGB vomit though.

Comment

• LMAO. 'Yeah i'm just gonna get a bit more ram' *buys a new PC*.

Comment

• Originally posted by ak16 View Post

Not true:

the 1000 USD machine will perform admirably for the next ~2-4 years.

Also, I hope you got a mainboard and a CPU that actually support overclocking.....Otherwise the money you spent on the CPU cooler is wasted. Not to mention that the GPU is the most common bottleneck in gaming performance, so it makes no sense for gamers to constantly obsess about CPU overclocking while ignoring GPU overclocking and cooling....

Like I said - it's not cheap unless you go the AMD/Radeon route and cut some corneres - which I didn't want to do. I'm glad they put some pressure on intel/nvidia to get their shit together, but right now Intel and Nvidia still make better hardware IMO. As for lasting 2-4 years - I want mine to last longer. My old CPU in particular was like 6 at least, probably older and was still OK-ish but started to be the bottleneck.
            And yes, I always buy hardware that's either high end or at least scraping at high-end - thus I always had a overclockable PC, though I never did overclock it. I prefer hardware stability and longevity over squeezing a couple more percent out of it.
            I upgraded my GPU last year already. I think my GTX 1080 will still do well for a couple of years.

Originally posted by Kap View Post
            The i9 was totally unnecessary. Could have gotten a much cheaper newer gen i7 CPU that would have been more than appropriate for what you wanted. i9 is a massive gimmick at this point. I do like your RGB vomit though.
            I totally agree - and I knew that this was pure luxury when I got it. They got me with the 8 cores though - and kinda since it just came out when I was in the market for a new CPU anyway, I thought what the heck... .
            If I'm going to buy an expensive Intel CPU anyway, might as well shell out 100-200 bucks extra and have no regrets during the next years, knowing I got some of the newest and best CPU at that time. Not gonna lie, it was a pretty satisfying choice, but definitely not the smartest of choices.

Comment

• WOWS:
              Dreadnought is mine, to probably never leave port outside of a few co-op games. Can't risk scratching that paint

And yes, that is the camo it comes in lol.

EDIT: Got weak and spent my hoard of free XP on MOAR SHIPS instead of saving for Kronshtadt. Got Iowa, Richelieu and Lyon (to get to Richelieu). Not sure how I feel about the richie yet, but the Iowa is pretty damn good. It's basically a a turbocharged North Carolina with more powerful guns and even more ridiculous AA dakka.

Standby for imminent delivery of FREEDOM to your broadside.
              Last edited by RSone; 24-12-2018, 09:15 AM.

Comment

• I remember blasts of handgrandes and sounds of submachineguns fire in Stalingrad (RO and RO2 ), i remember flamethrowers clearing way in tunnels and buildings,charly's screamings in Hue city (RS2) , now i can add PTSD after melee attacks in Sharpsburg ,dying yankees. (War of Rights)
                quietly singing : there's a yellow rose in Texas...

ps. i like this stylisation

Last edited by DTA; 26-12-2018, 05:46 PM.

Comment

• Let's not forget about Union. sadly as flag bearer you сan't do anything. Maybe devs will add smth later. It will be good to pierce the enemy with your regiment's banner

Rebels are attacking by bridge. Under railway it will end in bloody melee, but again they will be pushed back

Comment

• After buying a $3k machine every few years (desktop) i eventually learnt to buy a mid range PC and then upgrade the video card and memory later on. The "top" spec machines date quite quickly.

My last machine (this one), is a Ryzen 6 core 1600x. 16gb of ram, SSD and a normal second drive. VC is a GTX 1050ti geforce. Its probably 12 months old now.

Actually got it for work for mathematical modelling but it plays games good! I have also recently purchased another Ryzen and a I7 (desktops) all for the office (plus a few laptops).

The Ryzens give you more bang for buck but are far noisier.

The laptops i have a probrooks which were cheap when i got them, now that we are more financiallly stable will get better ones in a year or so.

Comment

• Originally posted by t3ngu View Post
                      After buying a $3k machine every few years (desktop) i eventually learnt to buy a mid range PC and then upgrade the video card and memory later on. The "top" spec machines date quite quickly.

My last machine (this one), is a Ryzen 6 core 1600x. 16gb of ram, SSD and a normal second drive. VC is a GTX 1050ti geforce. Its probably 12 months old now.

Actually got it for work for mathematical modelling but it plays games good! I have also recently purchased another Ryzen and a I7 (desktops) all for the office (plus a few laptops).

The Ryzens give you more bang for buck but are far noisier.

The laptops i have a probrooks which were cheap when i got them, now that we are more financiallly stable will get better ones in a year or so.
                      x2........ many years ago I was young and inexperienced enough to dump ~650 bucks on a GPU after being caught up in the hype ..........needless to say, these days my mid-range smartphone has graphics rendering capabilities that are on-par with that GPU

Likewise, I have also come to the realization that the most cost-effective approach to PCs is the one where a PC within a "performance-mainstream" segment is bought (~1000-1500 USD), and then the RAM, SSD/HDD, and the GPU is upgraded, as needed.

Comment

• Elite Dangerous

Mining

Leonard Nimoy

Comment

• Star Wars Empire at War
                          Modded

Retaking Coruscant...

...and rebuilding the empire.

Comment

• My SimCity mobile:

Comment

• World of Warships. Sometimes winning is a sisyphean labour, and sometimes its so easy that the enemy team even throws a Kraken into the bargain as well. Took the Oktyabrskaya Revolutsiya (Ru Tier V battleship) out yesterday to grind out my last task in the Prinz Eitel Friedrich campaign. I don't play her much, but if I can get more games like this, I might reconsider XD:

Eez horosho design, right comrade? If not enough gun, just add more gun.

Poor old Danae about to become the first casualty of the match.

I understand the RN's WWI light cruisers weren't exactly well-armoured in real life either, but in WOWS this has apparently translated to ships that are essentially floating citadels. Even destroyers are able to score citadel hits on these ships, let alone battleships when the cruiser captain just sails past perfectly broadside.

Japanese destroyer eating a full salvo of HE.

Smoke still coming out of the bores.

Getting within a few hundred meters of a Kongo. This guy sailed around like I wasn't even there...

Which had predictable consequences.
                              Last edited by RSone; 18-01-2019, 02:03 PM.

Comment

• Spintires Mudrunner with some mods.

Comment

Working...
                                X