Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So Facebook accused me a animal cruelty and wanted to hang me

Crazy day yesterday.

Early in the day I decided to bring my dog to the forest for a walk. My dog likes to play with the garden hose and with water in general, he was completely wet when we went for a walk, I decided to go to a little lake close to my home.

But while driving I decided to buy a coke at a stand. I left all the car windows open and anyway my AC had made sure my car was pretty cool. Outside temperature was at ~23C/73F.

If I have to believe the short bit I was listening to on my podcast I was back within 3 minutes. That was enough time for some wannabee vigilantee to show up, take pictures of my license plate, my dog and my car. He started a rant about how this was dangerous. I tried to point out that I was just over there quickly grabbing a coke. That didnt matter. He said had I been there a minute later he would have smashed my car windows and actually he still threatened my property after it all happened and became increasingly aggressive.

I told him I was not interested in his mess so I turned the car windows up and drove off: I am not interested in getting my property wrecked and having to go thru insurance and I am even less interested in aggression where I as an animal molester would get very little sympathy from people around me and either way aggressive people tend to be poor and uneducated not really capable of reason or deescalation.

Later in the evening my mom contacted me that someone from her work had shared a picture of my dog on facebook. Now it would have been bad enough had he completely messed with the story, but it basically became like one big Breitbart-esque commentry section of people advocating violence and my death. To make matters worse, he posted it on a social media account of his own company (dog trainer, that later explained a lot to me).

I decided that enough was enough because I am not the only one walking with my dog. What if someone recognizes my dog with my gf and she gets attacked by one of the rare Facebook justice warriors who are actually crazy enough to appear in real life?

I drove to his place, about 20 km away from me, but the woman told me he was not there because his father died that die (could have explained his aggression). Later that day he called me and said that while my dog waso nly the car for a short while it was a poor example to others. He then admitted that he saw my dog was wet, happy, in a good state and clearly not in the car for even a remotely long time. He actually added that part to Facebook later.

But that was after the death threats etc.

I get that people get emotional over animals. It is the right thing to do. But to mobilize the Facebook lemmings is not acceptable. A large group of people have a case of internet vigilantism and love naming and shaming even if they know exactly 0 context...

Well you actually can call cops on him for slandering etc and threats on all the rest. People may think that internet in law free zone - but its not. Its simply that people dont bother to even try anything. They go and complain to facebook, but they never come to idea to do same thing, that they would do, if it was happing irl.

Comment

What the shit. I'm sorry that happened to you OrangeWolf, is it possible you have grounds to bring a libel lawsuit against him? I will say though that internet stuff like that blows over pretty quickly, and the uninformed move onto something else. It's infuriating while it's happening though.

For what it's worth, 23C isn't SO hot 😁 The other day I was driving around with my dog the other day at 28C, I had the AC on, but I left him in the shade with the windows rolled down for about 20 mins and it was no big deal.

Comment

Crazy people being crazy.

So what you're saying is you're a Russian spy? Fake news!

Comment

I would contact the security manager at D66 and ask for advice.
          But in short, file charges against him for defamation and on those who threatened you.

Comment

What is the world coming to when people start to get concerned about crazy Facebook JWs? Personally, I wouldn't have even bothered with trying to contact the overzealous dog lover (such contact, without third-party mediation, could have ended in an even worse manner), since most Facebook zealots tend to have the short term memory of a goldfish...

Comment

Originally posted by EiB L/T View Post
              Well you actually can call cops on him for slandering etc and threats on all the rest. People may think that internet in law free zone - but its not. Its simply that people dont bother to even try anything. They go and complain to facebook, but they never come to idea to do same thing, that they would do, if it was happing irl.
              In my opinion filing a complaint is a huge and useless waste of time especially in my local case. I have been attacked once in my life and the formal aftermath was a complete waste of to time. I trust them to handle speeding tickets efficiently and back up braindead bouncers when they heroically harass 18 year olds.

Also there's no guarantee, far from, that I can change the intellect of these Facebook lemmings.

Comment

Originally posted by Aradan View Post
                What is the world coming to when people start to get concerned about crazy Facebook JWs? Personally, I wouldn't have even bothered with trying to contact the overzealous dog lover (such contact, without third-party mediation, could have ended in an even worse manner), since most Facebook zealots tend to have the short term memory of a goldfish...
                Way to spin things. I guess I need to thank you for not calling me fat this time?

I live in a small community where it would not be the first time social network stuff destroys lives.

I should have clarified I did go to his place but it is also his workplace and you have to be a special type of stupid to cause agression there. In particular I wanted to know what the hell he wanted to do with my license plate nr. Plus, I wanted to make clear in person i do not appreciate the death threats he facilitated. I didn't go there to cause a scene. In the past resolving (admittedly more civil) issues like this is quite a lot better. I will go a long way to avoid things going official.

Comment

Originally posted by Sniffit View Post
                  I would contact the security manager at D66 and ask for advice.
                  But in short, file charges against him for defamation and on those who threatened you.
                  What you are saying is I need to set up a party militia?

Comment

That sucks.

Sounds like the guy was operating at an intellectual deficit.

Comment

Set up an account for your dog, let your dog post a few 'selfies' and set the record straight about that time he was bothered by this obnoxious a-hole.....

Comment

Originally posted by OrangeWolf View Post

What you are saying is I need to set up a party militia?
                        No, but I assume that you've got someone who deals with security threats among other things, a chief of staff or similar. If you are getting threats in any form you should inform them and ask for advice.

Comment

That's brutal man.

Social media is such a breeding ground for stupidity and BS.

I agree that a lawsuit is not the way to go. May be worthwhile to inform police of the death threats, just to play it safe. And if the poster seems more reasonable now, maybe ask him to delete his post. An apology would even be appropriate.

Comment

Yeah the threats stopped after he added, hours later, that the dog was actually fine. He is going to remove the post from his company's page. Some striking professionalism to post something like that btw.

The reason I am not going to file a complaint/complaint is that this takes time. But more importantly, there's just a group in society that will respond in such a hysterical manner to everything they see during their 8hour Facebook scrolling. They cannot be helped. There's one person I clicked on, someone who thought I should have been cooked to death in my car, and he seems to spend all his day commenting on budget cuts and conspiracy theories... What a surprise.

Comment

Originally posted by OrangeWolf View Post

Way to spin things. I guess I need to thank you for not calling me fat this time?

I live in a small community where it would not be the first time social network stuff destroys lives.

I should have clarified I did go to his place but it is also his workplace and you have to be a special type of stupid to cause agression there. In particular I wanted to know what the hell he wanted to do with my license plate nr. Plus, I wanted to make clear in person i do not appreciate the death threats he facilitated. I didn't go there to cause a scene. In the past resolving (admittedly more civil) issues like this is quite a lot better. I will go a long way to avoid things going official.
                              You misunderstood me. I did not mean to imply that you were fat - just a bit on the scrawny side and, for one who is a gym regular, appears to be a "hard gainer" :P

As I have found out from experience, when it comes to conflict resolution b/w individuals, there is a good reason why third party mediators and lawyers exist and are in demand. When two individuals, each harbouring grievances against the other, try to sort out their differences face to face, the outcome is often worse than what each intended (due to irrationality and emotions overriding common sense). Just imagine a reality in which divorce lawyers did not exist

I assume you went to see him on the same day of the incident, when it is likely that both of you have not sufficiently "cooled down" so to speak. I would have sent a formal email outlining the issue, or got a good friend to speak with him on my behalf to smooth things over.

Comment

Working...
                              X