Consolidated notable/celebrity deaths

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jonathan View Post
    I disagree with his application of the Schrödinger equation with respect to Eucledian quantum gravity.

I also disagree with his ideas on cosmological inflation as a means of explaining the smoothing of the inhomogeneities, anisotropies and the curvature of space except for quantum fluctuations, instead of the Baum ekpyrotic oscillating model.

This, however, could be because I just copied these words from wikipedia and don’t know what they actually mean.

Much the feeling I got when I tried reading his book.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jonathan View Post
      I disagree with his application of the Schrödinger equation with respect to Eucledian quantum gravity.

I also disagree with his ideas on cosmological inflation as a means of explaining the smoothing of the inhomogeneities, anisotropies and the curvature of space except for quantum fluctuations, instead of the Baum ekpyrotic oscillating model.

This, however, could be because I just copied these words from wikipedia and don’t know what they actually mean.
      I find your statement very shallow and pedantic.

Comment

• RIP

hard to believe that he wasn`t awarded Nobel Prize

Comment

• Sad.. a great mind!
          Rest In Peace

Comment

• I remember reading a brief History of time and how it impressed me. it's stunning to realise how much of scientific models described in the book are not regarded as valid anymore.
            Long live new insights and the scientific method .
            RIP mr Hawkins

Comment

• Apart from his incredible intelligence, it takes a person of amazing courage to fight that illness and make it to the ripe age of 76.

Given his status he could have easily taken the assisted suicide route, but he hung on until the very end.

Comment

• Originally posted by Te Zorro View Post
                Didn't he abuse all his wives?
                Lay off the sheep.

Rumours were that his former nurse and wide abused him..

Comment

• RIP

Scientifically, Hawking is best known for the Hawking radiation of Black Holes (a process that removes information, so whatever comes out is the same no matter what goes in the Black Hole), but this is a conjecture that is yet to be supported by evidence. Theoretically, new works related to quantization of gravity seem to indicate that Hawking radiation (seen different from thermal radiation) is wrong (i.e. the Black Hole information paradox), but the jury is far from giving a verdict (although is reported that a decade or so ago Hawking backed down from the idea of destroying information via the radiative process; but don't quote me on that).

However, Hawking's best contribution to science is his constant advocacy role done throughout the years (a poster child for science and reason) and his role as an educator (in class for the public at large). Don't try to award Hawking undeserved credit [see below], as by doing so you are just diminishing his actual accomplishments.

Due to his condition, he is also an example of why, as a society, we chose not to dismiss people based on the failure of their physical bodies (basically, F. you Nazi ideas, people with handicaps can in fact make major contributions to the human kind). But that is something else... Also, personally, I'm a sucker for stories when the doctors give you 2 years to live and you show the illness who's the boss by live for another 50 or so years (76 is old age in my book).

Originally posted by Guma View Post
                  hard to believe that he wasn`t awarded Nobel Prize
                  For what?

François Englert (together with Robert Brout) and Peter Higgs wrote about the Higgs boson mechanism in 1964 but received the Nobel Prize in 2013, after it was shown that the particle exists. Robert Brout did not, as he died in the mean time (Nobel Prize rules). Cases like this happened all the time and they will increase in frequency.

Make a distinction between a man being smart and a man being awarded a prize (while a prize can validate a good man, the lack of a prize cannot invalidate one). And also make the distinction between doing science and being able to prove that those contributions do in fact matter (what Nobel Prize is about; it cost in excess of 2 billion euro to build the LHC and find the Higgs boson, basically 2 billion to prove that the ideas of a few smart men were correct).

Comment

• An exceptional mind even with his debilitating disease. Stephen Hawking was a hero, may he rest in peace. I hope his next journey is as incredible as his last.

Comment

• RIP Mr. Hawking, we definitely are poorer in terms of knowledge with the loss of him.

Comment

• May he + Rest In Peace +

Unique and gifted, science has lost one of its shinning stars.

Comment

• Jim Bowen rip.

Comment

• Adrian Lamo became a controversial figure in the hacker community after he tipped off US authorities about the whistleblower.

Comment

• The firm Charles Lazarus founded in 1948 said last week it was game over for its US and UK stores.

Comment

• The anti-apartheid campaigner and former wife of Nelson Mandela has died aged 81, her PA says.

Comment

Working...
                                X