No announcement yet.

Health and Fitness

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did a 66.6(unfortunate symbolism, heh) MTB ride to the dunes on the North Sea coast on Sunday. Longest MTB ride i've done in a while, but we had a tag along wasn't exactly quick on the bike, so ot didn't end up being too strenuous. First rain and wet snow of the "storm" that hit NL on sunday and monday came down on the way back, but was still bikeable.

Comment

• So based on my experience this morning, a long sleeve kit and cycling pants is not enough for 35-40 F conditions.

So things I need to receive/buy: ear mufflers, full gloves, thermal jacket? Joints are still cold and I got back an hour ago and had a hot shower.

Comment

• Those seats on those bikes are cruel enough.

Comment

• Originally posted by Soldat_Américain View Post
          So based on my experience this morning, a long sleeve kit and cycling pants is not enough for 35-40 F conditions.

So things I need to receive/buy: ear mufflers, full gloves, thermal jacket? Joints are still cold and I got back an hour ago and had a hot shower.
          That's basically what the weather is like all the time here during these months. When it's cold and windy, i'll usually wear longsleeve undershirts and jackets, and long bibs over my shorts. I just use a bog standard buff under my helmet, though I might pull it over my ears (i've also been considering a skullcap made from something a bit warmer) and a pair of full-finger gloves. If you get cold hands quickly, maybe try a pair of gloves with heating elements in them. My dad has a pair with battery powered elements that last a good couple of hours (maybe 5 if you don't crank it up too much?) The only drawback is that they're fairly big and chunky.
          Speaking of cold weather, I got myself some new kicks:

Northwave Raptor GTX cold weather boots. Carbon sole, goretex, TPU and neoprene upper shell. Single point ratchet and cable fastening. They're rated to around -5C, but i'm honestly more concerned with keeping out water and moisture, which is what usually gets me during longer MTB rides. I've only used them on the bike once so far, but they seemed very comfortable and warm, even with thin socks.
          Last edited by RSone; 29-12-2017, 06:17 AM.

Comment

• I incorporated ~200 push ups per day in 5 groups of 40 (Sun thru Wed) into my routine and was feeling pretty proud of myself. Then I found out Herschel Walker does 1,500 per day. I didn't think there was enough time in the day to do that many. He also does 3,500 sit ups per day. But he's only 55 yrs old.

Comment

• Originally posted by RobertKLR View Post
              I incorporated ~200 push ups per day in 5 groups of 40 (Sun thru Wed) into my routine and was feeling pretty proud of myself. Then I found out Herschel Walker does 1,500 per day. I didn't think there was enough time in the day to do that many. He also does 3,500 sit ups per day. But he's only 55 yrs old.
              200 is pretty darn good, you can be proud of yourself. I stopped drawing comparisons to professional athletes a long time ago. It's something you can strive for but when you have a day job that doesn't include doing 1.500 push ups a day, you will never be as good as them but you can be as good as you can be. You don't earn your living by doing push ups or having 22" arms, although that would be rad!

Comment

• That is exhausting but well done.

Worst exercise is pumping out final chin ups. Used to give me back problems. Then stopped doing it for a while and figured out it was the cause. So for years I was thinking it was degenerative instead of just a minor but important detail. Doing them properly and safely is better than cheating.

Comment

Working...
                X