Health and Fitness

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Health and Fitness

This place needs a fitness thread so here it is.

I've been working on my "beach body" even though I probly wont visit any beach this summer, mixing strength/running/circuit training. I'm also logging what I eat with Myfitnesspal, it really helps to have a look at what you ingest. Made me realize I take too many carbs and not enough proteins most days.

Originally posted by pascalywood View Post
    This place needs a fitness thread so here it is.

I've been working on my "beach body" even though I probly wont visit any beach this summer, mixing strength/running/circuit training. I'm also logging what I eat with Myfitnesspal, it really helps to have a look at what you ingest. Made me realize I take too many carbs and not enough proteins most days.

Most peoples do that. You might want also to teake a look at your fat sources to make sure you get enough good fat.

Comment

Exercise 'not key to obesity fight'

By Nick TriggleHealth correspondent

Physical activity has little role in tackling obesity - and instead public health messages should squarely focus on unhealthy eating, doctors say.

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-32417699

I've been exercising on a consistent basis for about a year now, but try as I might I plateaued. It wasn't until recently when I've mad a hard and conscientious effort to watch what I eat that I seem to have broken through.

No joke, watching one's diet is harder than exercising. I never realized how surrounded we are by temptation for unhealthy junk food until I decided to cut them out of my diet.

Comment

Originally posted by Derbedeu View Post
        No joke, watching one's diet is harder than exercising. I never realized how surrounded we are by temptation for unhealthy junk food until I decided to cut them out of my diet.
        Agreed. I log my stuff on myfitnesspal too and it's a wake-up when you see what varieties of food and drink contain what sort of energy, especially when the slice of bread contains more kJ than the slice of ham on it.

Comment

I've been recovering from a minor operation for the last two weeks and therefore been unable to work out. I'm losing my frigging mind. I feel like shit, moody and frustrated, and my body is getting generally stiff and achy. I feel so lucky that I can start up again soon. Maybe even today.

Some people find it hard to start exercising. Try having to abruptly stop it. I'm not sure which is worse.

Comment

Haha, that is the so called post operation ADHD. Been there few times. Lots of energy but cant do anything leads to frustration. Try reading if possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Derbedeu View Post

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-32417699

I've been exercising on a consistent basis for about a year now, but try as I might I plateaued. It wasn't until recently when I've mad a hard and conscientious effort to watch what I eat that I seem to have broken through.

Hitting a plateau while losing weight is totally natural. Your body is smart enough to notice that you've been loosing weight (through exercise and/or diet) so your metabolism slows down so it can function normally with less nutrients and preserve your fat deposits. At this point you are no longer in a caloric deficit so you can either increase your exercises or change your diet a little bit.
              I believe that exercising and healthy eating go hand in hand for most people. Once you've seen the results of your hard work at the gym, you are less inclined to throw it all away by eating badly.

I've also become an gym junkie, I managed to catch a cold after working out really hard for a week (3 full body workouts over 2h each), it was pretty bad and kept me from going to the gym (I went once more when I felt better and the next day I was back to square one). It's been 10 days and I'm moody, bored and drowsy all day long. So keep in mind that exercising too much lowers your immune system and you are predisposed to catching colds (or other infections). It also takes a lot longer to recuperate if you continue to work out while being sick.

Comment

I call it training, when I catch myself wanting to put something in my shopping basket, I know, I'll regret buying/eating later and then being able to either pass the temptation or put it back on the shelf again, before I check out. Being able to exercise willpower, when sugar cravings set in, actually feels better than giving in to it. I'm probably only 5 kilos from where I want to be, but right now, I'm pretty happy with where I am.

I've gone 95 to 75 kg in a year, mostly by cutting pizza and coke from my daily meals and becoming more active. I can still enjoy a little junk, but not every effing day.

Comment

Hitting a plateau is bloody frustrating. I can drop 5kg pretty easily, but then I hit the wall. Avoiding overtraining while doing sports and losing weight is challenging job. Im getting old (30) and wont get any faster so Im going to aim in getting lighter to be more agile. Football is my sport but I do boxing and cycling to not stress the same parts of my body too much. Artificial grass pitches are killing my knees..

Comment

Originally posted by dolumberist View Post
                    I've been recovering from a minor operation for the last two weeks and therefore been unable to work out. I'm losing my frigging mind. I feel like shit, moody and frustrated, and my body is getting generally stiff and achy. I feel so lucky that I can start up again soon. Maybe even today.

Some people find it hard to start exercising. Try having to abruptly stop it. I'm not sure which is worse.
                    I´ve being there. Don´t worry, time flies and you´ll be hitting the gym again soon, just try not to rush it up or you may get things worse.
                    Some time off IS necessary also, no matter how hard you love working out

Comment

Been lazy for the last few weeks and the weight is creeping on. Just need to look at food to get a stomach. Back to chicken, broccoli and HIIT then.

Comment

So I took the last year or so off from everything. It's pretty easy for me to lose the weight (easy in that I know how to get my body to do it effectively) but I'd really like some weight training advice. I'd like to know if anyone has a good routine for shoulders, back and arms especially. I've always done weight training as part of my gym time, but it was always secondary to the cardio, and I never really had any instruction in doing weight training effectively.

Comment

^ for the best weight training regimens, probably should hit up bodybuilding.com. They have everything you need and more. They even have phone apps that allow you to run set programs that they have. The site is a veritable goldmine when it comes to weight training.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bbin...page=Shoulders

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bbin...=BackDeadlifts

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bbinfo.php?page=Arms

P.S. These links have specific workouts for these muscle groups, and most have pics/videos on how to do the said exercises. For something more comprehensive, they have programs like http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jim-stoppani-six-week-shortcut-to-shred.html
                          Last edited by Derbedeu; 25-04-2015, 11:16 AM.

Comment

Since Christmas I've been trying to improve my overall fitness and wellbeing. I've been jogging every second day about 2km and have cut out most of the worst junk food I used to eat (no more eating a goddamn pack of potato chips all by myself, or indeed at all). So I'm a lot happier with my fitness and my blood pressure is back to normal - all good things.

The only thing left I'd really like to do something about is the man-boobs. They're a lot less flabby than they used to be, but I'd still like to do something to put some muscle under the flab. Any recommendations of exercise that can make a difference there?

Comment

Originally posted by TheKiwi View Post

The only thing left I'd really like to do something about is the man-boobs. They're a lot less flabby than they used to be, but I'd still like to do something to put some muscle under the flab. Any recommendations of exercise that can make a difference there?
                              http://www.exrx.net/Lists/ExList/ChestWt.html For all your chesty requirements.

Comment

Working...
                              X