RIP Photobucket

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wilkie View Post
    I made an Imgur account, downloaded the app to my phone.. And people down voted it and made stupid comments..

I just want something to host photos off of. I don't need more social media. I couldn't even find a way to copy my [img] code on the app.
    Wilkie
    Sir, your pix you load to Imgur DO NOT have to be public.....you choose to either make them public or private prior to each photo you upload. No cost. You can also choose the size of the image as it will appear here before you select the link (but after you have uploaded the photo)

Imgur has many nice features and is free. I have posted both public and private on imgur with one account.

Btw there willbe stupid comments on public photos as most commenters appear to be 13 yr old boys.

Comment

Imgr is way better than PB in any case. They went to shit a year back, now work again, but with the new policy,..... it will sleep with the fishes.

Comment

Seems Imgur has started to fiddle with the compression of uploaded files which drastically reduces the quality. Just checked it and a 170 KB file was reduced to 80 KB. FU!!!

Comment

While browsing the other day I came across this:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/14967...This+Thread%29

It's a link to a Chrome and Firefox add-in that somehow completely bypasses Photobuckets ransomware attempts. Tested it with an older thread or two that used PB and it seems to work - albeit that I have no idea how long until PB catch on and close off whatever exploit it uses.

Comment

I want to do mine anonymously, so I haven't posted any pics since Imageshack went to a pay-for service.

Comment

Originally posted by Euroamerican View Post
              I want to do mine anonymously, so I haven't posted any pics since Imageshack went to a pay-for service.

https://postimages.org/

I've yet to find a better image hosting site, if that helps. Though there's no 'fancy' options like enhancing your pics and stuff, but it's fast and easy.

Comment

Originally posted by JakeScully View Post

https://postimages.org/

I've yet to find a better image hosting site, if that helps. Though there's no 'fancy' options like enhancing your pics and stuff, but it's fast and easy.
                I've been moving my photos to Postimages for about a week now. I had a $5/mo deal with PB but that is going to stop when I get all moved over.

Comment

Cheers for that, JakeScully. I will give them a look!

Comment

What is the difference between a hotlink and direct link? I thought they were the same. On Postimage there are several options and I'm not sure which to use. This link should take you to a page to see the options if you click on share.

https://postimg.org/image/4phpbvgtx/

Comment

Originally posted by RobertKLR View Post
                      What is the difference between a hotlink and direct link? I thought they were the same. On Postimage there are several options and I'm not sure which to use. This link should take you to a page to see the options if you click on share.

https://postimg.org/image/4phpbvgtx/
                      You upload an image to an image host.

Hotliniking, you're posting an image here, that's hosted elsewhere.

Direct linking, you're posting a link to the image on the hosted site. Like you did above.

By hotlinking you're bypassing the hosting site and depriving them of page views/ad revenue, which doesn't really matter if you're using a imagehosting site, because it's part of their services and if you own the rights to the picture. However if you hotlink images from a photojournalism site, their layers will quickly take notice and go all mp.net on your ass.

I think.

Comment

I don't think hot linking is allowed on The Mess. If I use direct link I get the full image just like Photo Bucket but I can't tell if I'm actually hot linking.

Comment

I don't think hot linking is allowed on The Mess. If I use direct link I get the full image just like Photo Bucket but I can't tell if I'm actually hot linking.
                          what is a "direct link" sounds like a hot link to me?

Comment

this is a photo of my lunch of 2 chili dogs I had for lunch, hosted at imgur:

my photo, hosted on imgur and posted as a medium size thumbnail.

and I hope I don't get banned for this but this is a hot linked image, which I took the photo and I own the image on the website which is non commericial. I will take it down in a little while: but it is a hot link: (not hosted by a third party)

deleted hot linked image not here now, removed....
                            same image now hosted at imgur and resized....

Comment

Hotlinking was what killed off mp.net.

But there's a difference between hot linking Reuter's copyrighted photos and hot linking your own private photos.
                              These free image hosting sites allows hot linking, because it's basically the primary reason for their existence.

http://themess.net/forum/administration/69-site-rules

2. Images:
                              - No hotlinking of images, any images posted must he hosted on a third party image hosting site.
                              - Inserting images that you own or have taken is allowed, however as above these images must be hosted on a third party image hosting site.
                              - There is to be no insertion of images that you do not hold the copyright to. Post a link to the site with the image you'd like to talk about or share, preferably with a page link so the source image can be seen in its full context.
                              commanding whenever I read a tourist review of Denmark, our hotdogs are always mentioned as a must try. But take my word for it, they are garbage. Now those chili dogs, those I can agree with. Looks delicious.
                              Last edited by Fargin; 07-09-2017, 04:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by commanding View Post

what is a "direct link" sounds like a hot link to me?
                                That's my confusion, Postimage gives both choices but when I look up the difference between the two I get conflicting information. I've tried direct link but only in the preview and I get the same result as I do with PB other than I have to use the image icon and past the link in the field. Now I'm hungry.

Comment

Working...
                                X