Pioneer Cabin Tree in California felled by storms

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pioneer Cabin Tree in California felled by storms

Shit I should have gone there sooner ....

Here : http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-38561877

That's a shame. I kind of agree with the poster who questioned why the tunnel was necessary. Was there any particular not to build the road around it?

Comment

Originally posted by EvilMinion View Post
      That's a shame. I kind of agree with the poster who questioned why the tunnel was necessary. Was there any particular not to build the road around it?
      It was the 1880s and our ancestors delighted in raping the land and natural resources.
      The American bison went from 100s of millions to near extinct. And that was in 1870s and 1880s. Only about 60 or so saved to make the herds we have today...small gene pool.

My grandfather told my father he saw hides of bison stacked in downtown fort Worth taller than a grown man 1870s.

I have heard that tree was between 1000 to 2000 years old.

Comment

I see, thank you. I thought the answer would be something like 'because they thought it would be cool'.

Comment

Originally posted by commanding View Post
          It was the 1880s and our ancestors delighted in raping the land and natural resources.
          Correct, different mindset back then. I don't agree with it but that was just the way it was. commanding your story reminded me of a recent trip to Tonto National Monument. 700 plus year old cliff dwellings. Priceless archaeological artifacts. On the original wood frame there is vandalism dating from the 1910's. Just poor understanding or respect for these things back then. Hell, what am I saying, this problem still exists today.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilMinion View Post
            I see, thank you. I thought the answer would be something like 'because they thought it would be cool'.
            I did a lot of research on the bison slaughter, when writing about it. The winter hides that were softened by Ameri-indian women, we're called robes,,,...and brought the most money.

The other stiff hides not softened were called flints. They were softened some and used for leather.....but way more leather than US needed. Much sold to UK for military goods around that time...1870s forward.

Useless crap I know.

Comment

It's interesting useless crap though.

Comment

Originally posted by Devil Child View Post

Correct, different mindset back then. I don't agree with it but that was just the way it was. commanding your story reminded me of a recent trip to Tonto National Monument. 700 plus year old cliff dwellings. Priceless archaeological artifacts. On the original wood frame there is vandalism dating from the 1910's. Just poor understanding or respect for these things back then. Hell, what am I saying, this problem still exists today.

To be fair, that wood frame vandalism pales in comparison to the damage done to cities, people, infrastructure etc by all sides in WW2....Germany, holocaust, Japan, China, Korea, Phil Islands, Indo China, France, etc. Ditto for War for Southern independence.

Same for WW1. Man is capable of insane destruction thru both indifference and war.

Did you know LBJ considered using NUKES after the Jan 1968 USS Pueblo capture by North Korea? It was right during the TET offensive in Vietnam. True story.

Comment

That's a shame. I visited that place back in '04.

Comment

Working...
                  X