Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Home Repair, Handyman Do-It-Yourself Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Home Repair, Handyman Do-It-Yourself Thread

    Home Repair, Handyman Do-It-Yourself Thread

    If your wife complains you spend too much time at Home Depot or the hardware store then this may be the thread for you. Please share your tips, how to, experience, projects or knowledge.

    I'll start. I have some tenants that painted a hallway wall with that chalkboard paint and now they're moving out. It's about 80 sq ft of wall . What's the trick to repainting the wall? Google-fu doesn't give a straight answer and I know the painters will charge them and arm and a leg. (This will come out of their deposit, but they've been great tenants otherwise, so I'm trying to cut them some slack)

  • #2
    Post any questions that you may have about improving your home: DIY projects, Real Estate questions, Renovations, Contractors, or anything in the housing industry.

    Comment


    • #3
      Where were you during the past year while my wife has been spending my retirement money on "fixing up the house"?

      Do you prefer ceramic or porcelain tile in the main bathroom? Shower stall - walls --floor; bathroom area - walls - floor?
      Same question for a smaller guest bathroom same type areas?
      Why?
      DIY or no?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by JUNKHO View Post
        Where were you during the past year while my wife has been spending my retirement money on "fixing up the house"?

        Do you prefer ceramic or porcelain tile in the main bathroom? Shower stall - walls --floor; bathroom area - walls - floor?
        Same question for a smaller guest bathroom same type areas?
        Why?
        DIY or no?
        Ha, well I am here now.

        So the answer to your question depends on some factors. Between ceramic or porcelain tiles, porcelain tiles are a better option. They provided a better water absorption rate and much harder to snap or crack. The problem is that porcelain tiles are just a pain for DIY projects because they are much harder to cut when using a wet saw. Porcelain tiles are also more expensive than ceramic by a couple dollars (which adds up very quickly). I would choose ceramic tiles. They are cheaper, easier to DIY, and a much smoother application. We use them exclusively in our Habitat houses and we let our volunteers lay down the tiles. I would DIY and if you do not know how to do it, I would recommend volunteering on a Habitat for Humanity site. They will teach you how to tile a bathroom, perform it with supervision, and then you can bring the skills back to your home. But it's not difficult to do.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by J.Noah ה View Post

          Ha, well I am here now.

          So the answer to your question depends on some factors. Between ceramic or porcelain tiles, porcelain tiles are a better option. They provided a better water absorption rate and much harder to snap or crack. The problem is that porcelain tiles are just a pain for DIY projects because they are much harder to cut when using a wet saw. Porcelain tiles are also more expensive than ceramic by a couple dollars (which adds up very quickly). I would choose ceramic tiles. They are cheaper, easier to DIY, and a much smoother application. We use them exclusively in our Habitat houses and we let our volunteers lay down the tiles. I would DIY and if you do not know how to do it, I would recommend volunteering on a Habitat for Humanity site. They will teach you how to tile a bathroom, perform it with supervision, and then you can bring the skills back to your home. But it's not difficult to do.
          Perfect! Thank you

          Comment


          • #6
            Replacing a built-in dishwasher. Need a plumbers help or not?

            I can see a cut off valve under the sink to cut off the water to the dead one.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by TheKiwi View Post
              Replacing a built-in dishwasher. Need a plumbers help or not?

              I can see a cut off valve under the sink to cut off the water to the dead one.
              I would get a plumber but I do not much about plumbing. I know installing a dishwasher is not difficult but connecting the valves and such should be done by a professional. You don't want to accidently flood your kitchen.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by J.Noah ה View Post

                I would get a plumber but I do not much about plumbing. I know installing a dishwasher is not difficult but connecting the valves and such should be done by a professional. You don't want to accidently flood your kitchen.
                Yep, took another look at it and decided that a plumber was needed.

                Comment


                • #9
                  What is under the paint? Gypsum board, plaster, brick, concrete, CMU , wood?
                  Personally I would hire a good painter, it's business, no slack to the tenant.

                  My best experience with covering wall stains on gyp board is use Kiltz first which drys very white. then paint over that, you can't see the stain under kiltz. but like someone said if there is chalk on the board you will need to clean whatever markings is on the chalkboard completely, ....but Kiltz will cover most stains on gyp board, texture or not.
                  Last edited by commanding; 30-09-2016, 01:25 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    wash it to get rid of any chalk residue (sugar soap solution) - let it dry completely - sand it over with fine sandpaper - make sure you do the edges properly - then coat the entire wall with a decent oil based primer

                    or just get someone in to sort it

                    finally make sure you put in the tenancy agreement that you don't do stupid things like this to your property

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      If it's green then put a blue light in the hallway and it will look yellow. How's that for easy?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Thanks for the tips! It is in the lease so the tenants know they're on the hook. I do a pre-inspection walkthrough to give them some time to address any issues that would cause deductions in their deposits on final. I don't think they realized that it's not a simple paint over. Neither did I. Minor repair/paint comes with the territory but washing, sanding, primer then paint...I think I'll go with the advice of commanding. I hope the chalk murals of flowery pastures was worth it.

                        BTW, it's 1/2" gypsum with acrylic paint under the chalk paint
                        Originally posted by RobertKLR View Post
                        If it's green then put a blue light in the hallway and it will look yellow. How's that for easy?
                        Are you for hire?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Rapier55 View Post
                          Thanks for the tips! It is in the lease so the tenants know they're on the hook. I do a pre-inspection walkthrough to give them some time to address any issues that would cause deductions in their deposits on final. I don't think they realized that it's not a simple paint over. Neither did I. Minor repair/paint comes with the territory but washing, sanding, primer then paint...I think I'll go with the advice of commanding. I hope the chalk murals of flowery pastures was worth it.

                          BTW, it's 1/2" gypsum with acrylic paint under the chalk paint
                          Are you for hire?
                          I was halfway serious. Over the past year I've installed a lot of LED lighting and some was RGB lighting and a lot of customers have commented favorably about "seeing new colors" in old paint with the RGB lights. Although blue and green (blue light, green wall) should make cyan I've found many claim to see more yellow than cyan, me to. I intend to install some RGB lighting in my house this winter because white light derived from such a setup makes colors more vivid in my opinion and the light can be bright without being harsh.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Need advice.

                            I have plenty of woodwork in my house, all furniture, doors, cabinets, windows etc. are all solid teak, and pretty high quality wood at that. None of it is painted, and everything has been done with melamine polish. Now keep in mind that the wood is in prime condition, even though it's from a few decades to over a century and a quarter old, and I intend to keep it that way.

                            From several coats of melamine, the wood has been stained from a lively golden to a darker copper red. I am now thinking of sanding off the melamine and going for a fresh polyurethane polish for increased durability and more natural shade of wood. Stupid idea or doable?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I don't know where to put this information but it seems to belong here (do it yourself). I have a lot of documents accumulated that need to be destroyed. I looked at some document shredders but then I ran across an old WW2 veteran who handled classified docs in the war. He told of an incredibly simple way that doesn't really cost anything. He said to fill a pot with hot water from the tap and drop the paperwork in and let it soak for about a minute, then rip it up a couple of times then start kneading it like dough in the water. I did what he said and in less than 5 minutes I had reduced a thick stack of old paperwork to a dough-like substance that in no way could ever be reassembled to read anything. I then drained the excess water and threw it away. I've since disposed of quite a bit of incriminating evidence that way. Why didn't I think of this?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X