Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Old fart's thread. ("Back in my day" stuff.)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Old fart's thread. ("Back in my day" stuff.)

    (Couldn't find the other "Old SOBs" thread. Feel free to merge.)

    How many here have been here:



    (Only counts if you were sportin' a banana seat and no helmet. No shoes or shirt is bonus points.)

  • #2
    Reminds me of what happened back in 2000, being 7 at the time.

    About a dozen of the kids in the neighborhood (all roughly around the same age, if I recall correctly, though some older and younger) one day held a bike race. Our street was sloped like a hill, so we went down darn fast and continued to race and race for the whole evening.

    Somehow, I ended up tripping over something, fell off my bike and gashed my left arm horribly and broke my left wrist. Mother freaked out when seeing all the blood and rushed me over to the hospital. Good memorable times, in spite that I was crying like a baby for hours.

    Though in my dad's days, back when Korea was still a third-world country that was developing, massive fights between students from different (if not rivaling) schools happened pretty frequently. By massive, you'd have like at *least* 10 guys on each side knocking the shit out of one another. Happened even more frequently during school trips, and amusingly enough, even a slight dirty look was enough to start those kinds of brawls.

    The good thing about those times though was that kids back then would back one another more often. Everybody in each classroom (at least in my dad's high school) got along like brothers, and if you messed with one, you'd be messing with all of his classmates.

    Comment


    • #3
      Queen's Birthday weekend when I was a kid meant firecrackers. You could buy them freely as single crackers or in bags and you could let them off whenever you wanted and practically wherever. Nowadays, in NSW, you need to have a valid pyrotechnician's licence to buy and use them, can only be let off in designated areas and there's a safety exclusion zone around the area where they'll be let off.

      Comment


      • #4
        Back in my day if I wanted to look at pictures of naked ladies I had to wait until my parents left the house and climb into the attic to gaze upon a hidden stash of vintage Playboy magazines of my dad's. These opportunities only seemed to happen in the middle of summer. Sitting in a attic during Arizona summer is not fun. Kids these days just don't appreciate how easy they can look at naked ladies. They can just fire up their mobile devices and click click a porn tsunami is unleashed. Damn kids just don't know what it was like back in my day.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Devil Child View Post
          Back in my day if I wanted to look at pictures of naked ladies I had to wait until my parents left the house and climb into the attic to gaze upon a hidden stash of vintage Playboy magazines of my dad's. These opportunities only seemed to happen in the middle of summer. Sitting in a attic during Arizona summer is not fun. Kids these days just don't appreciate how easy they can look at naked ladies. They can just fire up their mobile devices and click click a porn tsunami is unleashed. Damn kids just don't know what it was like back in my day.
          This.

          Every now and then you would stumble upon a porn mag that somebody had thrown out.

          It was like you had found the Dead Sea Scrolls and it was immediately taken to a secure location (your tree fort) to be deciphered by a team of the best and brightest scholars (other 12 year-old boys from the neighborhood).

          Comment


          • #6
            Vintage porn mags were amazing. Real women with the hairiest bushes and underarms you've ever seen - no frigging sculpting or Brazilian wax jobs. I think I whacked off to yetis and sasquatch at times.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by PeterRJG View Post
              Queen's Birthday weekend when I was a kid meant firecrackers. You could buy them freely as single crackers or in bags and you could let them off whenever you wanted and practically wherever. Nowadays, in NSW, you need to have a valid pyrotechnician's licence to buy and use them, can only be let off in designated areas and there's a safety exclusion zone around the area where they'll be let off.

              You can still let off fireworks in the final remaining freedom zone in Australia - the NT - on Territory Day, the 1st of July.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Chiptox View Post
                This.

                Every now and then you would stumble upon a porn mag that somebody had thrown out.

                It was like you had found the Dead Sea Scrolls and it was immediately taken to a secure location (your tree fort) to be deciphered by a team of the best and brightest scholars (other 12 year-old boys from the neighborhood).
                I recall the great event of 1988. A garbage bag full of stick mags dumped in bushland off of Willow Road. A veritable explosion of colour. Unfortunatley by the time i got there someone had been through with scissors and cut out a lot of the pictures, destroying the articles. The bloke next door to me seems to have enough to do some serious collages.

                Interestingly a guy we knew lived a few doors up from the dump site, his sister was a few years younger than us. By the time she hit 18, she was modelling and doing well. We were all too stupid to ever consider that one of our friends sisters was super hot. NOTE: Not this "instagram modelling", real modelling, paid gigs, with clothes on, walking the catwalk, being in magazines, not just famous because she posted lots of selfies.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I miss the 80's. Karate Kid, Star Wars, the Cold War. No social frigging networking. The world was a far simpler and for the most part, better place. Apart from the nuke threat.

                  People said what they thought, no social justice fucktards to jump down their throats... aah, those were the days.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Ballistic View Post
                    I miss the 80's. Karate Kid, Star Wars, the Cold War. No social frigging networking. The world was a far simpler and for the most part, better place. Apart from the nuke threat.

                    People said what they thought, no social justice fucktards to jump down their throats... aah, those were the days.
                    A lot of middle-aged people I know actually miss the 1970s and 1980s, surprisingly, and this is coming from Korea, when it was run by a military dictatorship with obvious limits on civil rights and freedom of speech. Especially the 1980s, when the economy was booming, living conditions were improving vastly, law enforcement was much more tougher on crime and the list goes on. Hearing from my folks about how life was like in the 1980s, it almost made Korea sound like a better place back then compared to now in a lot of ways.

                    Speaking of the 1980s....aside from Star Wars, along came Terminator, Predator, Alien 1 & 2, Friday the 13th, Robocop, Back to the Future, Indiana Jones, Nightmare on Elm Street, Ghostbusters, Rambo and all those other iconic stuff that are still well known to this today.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Back in my (Young) days. No cellphone, much less Smartphone. Had to call the landlines of my then girlfriends parents.

                      Akward.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Devil Child View Post
                        Back in my day if I wanted to look at pictures of naked ladies I had to wait until my parents left the house and climb into the attic to gaze upon a hidden stash of vintage Playboy magazines of my dad's. These opportunities only seemed to happen in the middle of summer. Sitting in a attic during Arizona summer is not fun. Kids these days just don't appreciate how easy they can look at naked ladies. They can just fire up their mobile devices and click click a porn tsunami is unleashed. Damn kids just don't know what it was like back in my day.
                        Another way was to try and watch scrambled cable porn channels. Those were the days.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Back in my day, we only had one phone line to serve the community (aka party line), and if you wanted to use it you had to wait your turn, sometimes for hours, and when it was finally your turn then nosy people in the neighborhood would pick up and listen in on your calls.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Scatter_88mil View Post

                            A lot of middle-aged people I know actually miss the 1970s and 1980s, surprisingly, and this is coming from Korea, when it was run by a military dictatorship with obvious limits on civil rights and freedom of speech. Especially the 1980s, when the economy was booming, living conditions were improving vastly, law enforcement was much more tougher on crime and the list goes on. Hearing from my folks about how life was like in the 1980s, it almost made Korea sound like a better place back then compared to now in a lot of ways.

                            Speaking of the 1980s....aside from Star Wars, along came Terminator, Predator, Alien 1 & 2, Friday the 13th, Robocop, Back to the Future, Indiana Jones, Nightmare on Elm Street, Ghostbusters, Rambo and all those other iconic stuff that are still well known to this today.
                            That hurts. But I totally understand where they're coming from. Life was much simpler then.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              OAP: Back in my day we didn't have flying cars and lasers
                              Child: But grandpa we don't have those things now!
                              OAP: I know, your generation is a massive disappointment

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X