No announcement yet.

Dangerous Australia

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Play silly games..... bit like my dog and snakes. Her day will come.

Comment

• Originally posted by t3ngu View Post
      Play silly games..... bit like my dog and snakes. Her day will come.
      Karma comes around for all,,

Comment

• Originally posted by Engineer View Post

Karma comes around for all,,
        Well every living thing dies if that is what you are saying.

Comment

• All the colours of the rainbow: 8 bizarre Australian slugs

5.The blue dragon
          ...To avoid predation, blue dragons feast on the stinging cells of bluebottles and transfer these to the tips of their cerata or ‘wing’, which gives them the ability to sting...
          https://www.australiangeographic.com...tralian-slugs/

Comment

• Elysia chlorotica
            Ever heard of a solar-powered mollusc? Well, photosynthesis plays a big part in the life cycle of the Elysia sea slug.
            These tiny, green molluscs are able to steal chloroplasts from their algal food source
            Penny the Penguin

Thanks for the article
            the chloroplast stealing one is mindboggling
            That's the first time i read a "somewhat" superior animal could live on photosynthesis (aside the coral which is more primitive)

Comment

• Originally posted by Mordoror View Post

Penny the Penguin

Thanks for the article
              the chloroplast stealing one is mindboggling
              That's the first time i read a "somewhat" superior animal could live on photosynthesis (aside the coral which is more primitive)
              You're welcome. Kind of interesting it looks like a leaf.

Comment

• Originally posted by Penny the Penguin View Post

You're welcome. Kind of interesting it looks like a leaf.
                We used to get a lot of them along the creek at our place on the top end of the creek near the national park. Have seen the red triangles before, and there used to be another one with more colours. I really wish i had taken photos of them.

Comment

• Originally posted by t3ngu View Post

We used to get a lot of them along the creek at our place on the top end of the creek near the national park. Have seen the red triangles before, and there used to be another one with more colours. I really wish i had taken photos of them.
                  Used to get them, did the drought dry up the creek or something, where did they go, do you know/suppose? Photos would have been great.

Comment

• Originally posted by Penny the Penguin View Post

Used to get them, did the drought dry up the creek or something, where did they go, do you know/suppose? Photos would have been great.
                    Well long story short, about 5 years back we had a big flood, and it knocked out most of the roads, solar power, water pipes etc and our huts up there. When up the creek we would often go walking along the creek at night.

Now we have our stuff at the front, which means we don't spend a lot of time up on the creek when previously we would be on the creek most days, so they are probably still there, just have not looked for them.

I was just there on the weekend, if i had of thought of it, i could have driven up there at night and gone for a walk. We were out, but looking for a mob of pigs which has made itself at home up there, along with the resident dingos, cats and foxes. Had to pull some wire out of long grass, no joe blakes luckily.
                    Last edited by t3ngu; 02-10-2018, 05:18 PM.

Comment

• Lots of the bitey things around my parts of Sydney right now, went for a walk the other week and stumbled into 3 RBB's. One big boy 99% hidden underneath a mat of recently slashed tall grass, only the head poking out as I walked past.
                      Knowing they are back out was enough that the higher hiking boots came out of storage for future walks.

Comment

• Whats an RBB?

Comment

• It's a Red-bellied black snake.

Comment

• Yep, these little bitey things.

DSC05251-5 by Johan Olsson, on Flickr

Comment

• Nope nope nope.

Comment

• DANGER NOODLE

Comment