Swiss man on trial for fighting isis

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What a world we live in.

Join ISIS and there will be people debating whether or not to let you come back home.
    Fight ISIS and face prison time.

Granted. Switzerland is trying to maintain neutrality and not become a target for terrorists. Though I think it is just delaying the inevitable.

Comment

To be fair, they went out of their way not to punish the guy. Today, he was sentenced to a suspended fine. Good on them.

Comment

Originally posted by Hildemel View Post
        Granted. Switzerland is trying to maintain neutrality and not become a target for terrorists. Though I think it is just delaying the inevitable.
        They always have been, neutral. They can’t brag about never losing any war since not participating in the first place...

Seriously though, I doubt they are suing and putting on trial this guy only for the sole purpose to achieve peace and no jihadist attacks there. That would be very naive of them and they aren’t.

I mean, Italy afaik is one of the very few major European country having never been attacked lately. Why? Pure dumb luck since Venise was a target some years ago and an attack was thwarted there.

Spain, France, Belgium, The UK, Germany all have been to different degree. Any western nation is a target.

Comment

Originally posted by Jake View Post
          They always have been, neutral. They can’t brag about never losing any war since not participating in the first place...
          Only officially they never participated. More than a third of all Swiss men born between the 1200s and mid-1800s fought as mercenaries abroad, with their government's explicit support (who received fees). The primary reason for Napoleon's conquest of Switzerland was to recruit the Swiss for himself. Throughout most of Swiss military history, it was law that every man who spared a defeated enemy's life was to be executed himself. Those people are a hardy bunch, they have warrior genes in them.

Comment

That’s all good but I was talking about the country, not its people.

Comment

I believe its more about him flouting military regulation as a serving (not clear if he is a time served) military officer in the Swiss military than "taking up arms against Isis" per se.

Comment

What the hell do you expect? Advertising yourself as a non state combatant regardless of your intentions is a stupid thing.

Comment

Every Swiss man has served. Everybody has his assault rifle at home (without ammunition) and full gear.

I just have full gear in Germany but they do not trust us taking weapons home

And I wouldn't either..having see so many unintentinal discharges by some unfit guys..they heavily increased weapons drill now...

But OT Switzerland has a militia military. I find it very interesting just a small officer corps of a few thousands is professional.

Comment

Originally posted by Connaught Ranger View Post
                    I believe its more about him flouting military regulation as a serving (not clear if he is a time served) military officer in the Swiss military than "taking up arms against Isis" per se.
                    Swiss nationals are not allowed to take up military service with foreign powers, except with the Holy See's Swiss Guard. As mentioned above, this law was enacted to ensure that Switzerland would not subvert its neutrality through hiring out its male citizenry as mercenaries. They take their neutrality seriously, and why wouldn't they; it's the reason why Switzerland became not entangled into more than 150 years of bloodshed on European soil…

Comment

A guy here in Sweden was convicted on war crimes last week, he was fighting ISIS in Iraq together with the peshmerga and someone found pictures online of him posing with dead terrorists.

Comment

Originally posted by muck View Post
                        Swiss nationals are not allowed to take up military service with foreign powers, except with the Holy See's Swiss Guard. As mentioned above, this law was enacted to ensure that Switzerland would not subvert its neutrality through hiring out its male citizenry as mercenaries. They take their neutrality seriously, and why wouldn't they; it's the reason why Switzerland became not entangled into more than 150 years of bloodshed on European soil…
                        and became very rich on the back of it

Comment

Originally posted by Sniffit View Post
                          A guy here in Sweden was convicted on war crimes last week, he was fighting ISIS in Iraq together with the peshmerga and someone found pictures online of him posing with dead terrorists.
                          While on the other hand they have social outrech programs for those who fought for ISIL

Comment

Working...
                          X