USA: Psychologists Declare Traditional Masculinity ‘Harmful’

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gaz View Post

Sure. It's also one of the main causes of... well... achieving things.

It is more complicated.

Comment

Bradley Manning for everyone

Comment

Originally posted by Asheren View Post

It is more complicated.
        No, it's not.

Comment

Just evolution......?

Comment

Originally posted by GB_FXST View Post
            No, it's not.
            It is don't talk about subject you have no clue about.

Comment

Not to downplay your experience with effeminism, but I concur with GB. Nothing complicated about it.

Achievement focus is a good thing.

Comment

He can talk about whatever he wants to as long as he doesn't break forum rules. And none of that is up to you.

Comment

Achievement focus is a terrible thing, especially if your only achievement in life is a Psych degree. It must be most humiliating to watch others go on to do actual and important things with their lives while you're stuck with writing the occasional dribbly article for the APA.

Comment

Some aspects of "traditional masculinity" can be bad, but a bunch of it is probably just stupid.

Comment

Whatever. News is full of dysfunctional problem people that previous patriarchal generations did not produce. Modern breakdown of the family and moral codes is more of a problem than masculinity and whatever contrived sexism.

Ladies first....

Comment

Only a few decades ago, my grandfather (a decent and hard working man like every of his time) was basically a tyrant to my grandmother. She didn’t have her own bank account, and needed her husband’s opinion before blowing up the credit card, she was only allowed to drive for a certain number of kilometers and so forth.

My point is I hate patriarchy and women deserved their rights (voting, driving, divorcing...) but when we are reaching the extreme opposite (all men are bad) I am, like primer above hoping for balance.

Radical feminism is just as bad as a patriarchal society.

Comment

I'm ok with:
                          ...a review of more than 40 years of research showing that men who are not emotionally expressive are damaged and end up with serious behavior problems.
                          My problem is with associating none-emotional behavior with "Traditional Masculinity". Just because some movies or so showed something like that doesn't make it traditional in my book.

Comment

Originally posted by gaz View Post

He can talk about whatever he wants to as long as he doesn't break forum rules. And none of that is up to you.

Sorry simply those days everytime an effort is made to do something about wreckyard that is for example former sports athletes community you get one or more of those conservative mental fossils slithering from under nearby rocks and comming out of woodwork with their alpha male wisdom.

Focusing purely on results is good for about as long as you get those results. Even then supprsingly few peoples have capability function under such pressure over extended period of time, without any serious negative effects on their mental health.

Originally posted by primer View Post
                            Whatever. News is full of dysfunctional problem people that previous patriarchal generations did not produce. Modern breakdown of the family and moral codes is more of a problem than masculinity and whatever contrived sexism.

Ladies first....
                            They did they were just simply ignored.

Comment

Jordan Peterson for Grand Pooh Bah.

Comment

Sorry simply those days everytime an effort is made to do something about wreckyard that is for example former sports athletes community you get one or more of those conservative mental fossils slithering from under nearby rocks and comming out of woodwork with their alpha male wisdom.

Focusing purely on results is good for about as long as you get those results. Even then supprsingly few peoples have capability function under such pressure over extended period of time, without any serious negative effects on their mental health.

They did they were just simply ignored.
                                Asheren - I told my daughter this morning, that anyone she brings home to meet me better pee standing up, and have no fear of things that go bang.

Meanwhile, sometimes the obvious needs to be said:

The very traits that the APA says are so harmful -- “stoicism, competitiveness, dominance, and aggression” -- are the same traits that built the entire world. If anything, saying that 98 percent of the great industrialists, scientists, generals, inventors, heroes, and leaders have been men with traditional masculine values is an UNDERSTATEMENT. Who created the Constitution? Who won every war America has ever fought? Who put men on the moon? Who built the internet you’re reading this article on? Men with traditional masculine values. When you say that is unhealthy or that we don’t need them anymore, you are thoughtlessly discarding the engine that built almost the entirety of civilization.

https://pjmedia.com/lifestyle/5-reas...ck-in-america/

Comment

Working...
                                X