New Caledonia set for independence vote

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Caledonia set for independence vote

It was a French island since over a century. IMO they deserve their independence and sovereignty.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-as...ependence-vote

New Caledonia, the French islands in the Pacific, are due to vote on sovereignty on Sunday 30 years after a period of unrest.

The territory, which has a population of 269,000, has seen deep divisions between its indigenous people, the Kanaks, and Europeans that live there.

An agreement drawn up in 1988, the Matignon Accord, proposed an end to direct rule from Paris and a vote on independence in 1998. This was later postponed to the 2018 vote.

Not a fan of colonialism, but micro-states also have their problems...

Comment

Are they classed as EU citizens Jake ? I know the rules are different compared to UK overseas territories. I did copy this after a quick look online.....

However, Saint Barthélemy ceased being an outermost region and left the EU, to become an OCT, on 1 January 2012. The change was made to facilitate trade with countries outside the EU, notably the United States,[29]

Comment

The early reports from the ballots indicates that they voted against their independance at 59,5%.

Comment

Originally posted by bfc1001 View Post
          Are they classed as EU citizens Jake ? I know the rules are different compared to UK overseas territories. I did copy this after a quick look online.....

However, Saint Barthélemy ceased being an outermost region and left the EU, to become an OCT, on 1 January 2012. The change was made to facilitate trade with countries outside the EU, notably the United States,[29]
          Sorry, only an French wiki page about it

https://fr.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rela...on_européenne
          Last edited by Jake; 04-11-2018, 03:34 AM.

Comment

Yes, they are classed as EU citizens and have the right to vote for the EU parliament. However they are not part of Schengen even though France is.

Comment

I saw somewhere they get 2b in French aid every year. Smart enough not to bite the hand that feeds them.

Comment

Originally posted by Kilgor View Post
                I saw somewhere they get 2b in French aid every year. Smart enough not to bite the hand that feeds them.
                Fair point...

Comment

According to early results 56,8% of the votes are for the "no".

Not sure how New Caledonia would go around independence, how they would manage to build a resilient society. But that's mostly because I haven't really studied their situation on site.
                  On the other hand, considering the very little importance this country is given by France, and the way it is treated by France as a matter of fact, it is not a surprised. These territories are treated like third zone citizens, rights-wise, yet duty-wise they are being asked as much if not more. Iirc, taxes are way higher over there, but public services are seriously lacking.

Comment

Originally posted by Ivan le Fou View Post
                    According to early results 56,8% of the votes are for the "no".

Not sure how New Caledonia would go around independence, how they would manage to build a resilient society. But that's mostly because I haven't really studied their situation on site.
                    On the other hand, considering the very little importance this country is given by France, and the way it is treated by France as a matter of fact, it is not a surprised. These territories are treated like third zone citizens, rights-wise, yet duty-wise they are being asked as much if not more. Iirc, taxes are way higher over there, but public services are seriously lacking.
                    similar to Puerto Rico ? That it is governed by the US but yet has little say over its affairs ?

Comment

I am not familiar enough with the subject, but I would say that it is somewhere along these lines, yes.

Comment

similar to Puerto Rico ? That it is governed by the US but yet has little say over its affairs ?
                        Ivan is not up to date
                        Since the crisis period of 1984 and 1988, a large amount of money was poured in the territory (1-2 billions each year) so between 15 and 30% of GNI
                        NC got also separate powers on several things (like civil defence, health and hospitals and first grade schools and high schools programs and infrastructures)
                        Judges have also to be formed to local juridiction and law (droit coutumier i.e tribal law) when they have to exercise in tribal area
                        The situation is not perfect and there is a big gap in development between the southern part of the country (Noumea and around which comprise half of the population ) and the Northern part which is inhabited by Natives but, even according to a lot of these natives, things have greatly improved since the late 90s
                        There is also a new issue emerging because immigrants populations are becoming pretty large (Vietnamese mostly but also Wallisians) and they are more active in the economy than local natives
                        Territory defence, police and LE are still controled by metropolitan France

Comment

And they don't pay income tax. No taxation and no representation , just saying.

Comment

How about a thank you? Like 'Hey my fellow Natives, thank you for choosing us for whatever reason you need this territory/loving us enough to hold us dear'.

Comment

And they don't pay income tax. No taxation and no representation , just saying.
                              Hum yes they do apparently:

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiscal...Cal%C3%A9donie

Comment

Working...
                              X