Medieval knight re-enactor dies after impaling himself on lance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Medieval knight re-enactor dies after impaling himself on lance

Peter Barclay was stabbed in the chest after his lance hit the ground and flipped as he was reportedly trying to spear a plate.

RIP.
    When I've seen the title I thought he died doing something like this.. Jousting is super dangerous even with full plate. Couched lance damage can go above 400.
    Knockputs during knights' fights are very rare, but when they happen, they look very impressive! Subscribe to M-1 Global - official Youtube Channel. Last MMA...

Comment

Originally posted by KaliOS View Post
      RIP.
      When I've seen the title I thought he died doing something like this.. Jousting is super dangerous even with full plate. Couched lance damage can go above 400.
      that's brutal - great use of the shield I would hire him any day of the week

Comment

Originally posted by KaliOS View Post
        Jousting is super dangerous even with full plate.
        No, it's not – unless it's being imitated by amateurs who don't know what the hell they're doing. In reality, deadly accidents were quite rare and almost always freakish of nature, just like this one. A knight would attend tourneys to earn riches, attract women and hone his craft, in that order. A lord would host a tourney to show off with his riches, attract women and give his vassals a chance to hone their craft, again in that order. None attended a tourney expecting to kill or be killed, especially since seizing one's opponent was way more profitable than killing them.

Comment

Originally posted by muck View Post

No, it's not – unless it's being imitated by amateurs who don't know what the hell they're doing. In reality, deadly accidents were quite rare and almost always freakish of nature, just like this one. A knight would attend tourneys to earn riches, attract women and hone his craft, in that order. A lord would host a tourney to show off with his riches, attract women and give his vassals a chance to hone their craft, again in that order. None attended a tourney expecting to kill or be killed, especially since seizing one's opponent was way more profitable than killing them.
          Late medieval? Yes, it was a sport, not a battle.
          Here's interesting read.
          http://willscommonplacebook.blogspot...netration.html

Killing your opponent wasn't shunned up until late middle ages.
          Then whole physics come in play as both horses could reach over 20 mph. Armour that is not designed to deflect was used with unsoftened lances that led to penetrations and horrific arm injuries.
          Looks pretty dangerous to me.

Comment

Working...
          X