No announcement yet.

Soyuz launch failed, crew makes emergency landing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

100% drilled hole that was covered up with some kind of glue.

Comment

Originally posted by Kilgor View Post
      Sabotage or wrecking seems too Soviet a term to hide structural corruption, bad quality control and mismanagement.
      Yeah all that does exist in the Russian space industry.

But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

Yeah it was something like that.

Really it's hard to believe that someone could be so intentionally stupid. I understand people might want to keep their jobs and such but..

Originally posted by Telmar View Post

Hmmm. That hole could have been drilled by mistake. And an assembly can be poorly performed.

Sabotage is plausible...although the group of people who have something to gain by sending a defective Soyouz to the space station is not really clear to me..Internal sabotage because someone wants to have a few people there fired?.
      Doesn't have to be a group. Say a lone Ukrainian nationalist sympathiser who just wants to do economic damage to Russia.

Comment

Might have been an accident, a really stupid one.

Comment

Originally posted by flamming_python View Post

Doesn't have to be a group. Say a lone Ukrainian nationalist sympathiser who just wants to do economic damage to Russia.
          Well even if that were the case...that would´nt say much of the safety measures in the production areas....or oversight...

And there are more problems today than there were even in the nineties. There have been several failures that did´nt happen in the past with these "no-nonsense" launch vehicles. The prospect of a less efficient management is much more realistic than a Ukrainian hoping to see the ISS crash down or the astronauts suffocate.

Comment

Originally posted by moosefoot View Post
            All parts of the rocket have been recovered for analysis now:
            https://ria.ru/science/20181012/1530551281.html

Zak has written a pretty thorough article on what is known so far:
            http://russianspaceweb.com/soyuz-ms-10.html

Nowadays they have external cameras on the Soyuz, and while it is not likely that anything will be released publicly anytime soon I do hope to see it at some stage.
            Roscosmos says they're to be done with the investigation on October 20th which is remarkably quick, so I guess they're confident that they nailed down the issue already (possibly thanks to the new "Astra" digital monitoring system, which was installed for the first time on this flight). Don't think flights will resume before year's end, but I wouldn't be surprised if they fired it up for the first 2019 launch window.
            Last edited by moosefoot; 12-10-2018, 09:25 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X