Soyuz launch failed, crew makes emergency landing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Telmar View Post

Potential airports that could welcome the shuttle in case of an emergency were airports with long runways: Dakar-Yoff in Senegal and Istres in France IIRC.
    I think even Zhukovsky in Moscow was a potential emergency airport, given its crazy long runway. Now that would have been something...

By the way, in addition to the two ways of aborting an ongoing Soyuz launch that I already mentioned, it is technically possible to abort even after the payload fairing has been jettisoned and the Soyuz is "exposed", prior to orbital insertion - as was done in the 1970's, when they aborted at 135km altitude (well into space, but not yet in orbit) and separated the landing capsule for a suborbital, ballistic trajectory. They survived the landing, but were pretty beat up by the immense G forces, and ended up in the middle of nowhere in a snow storm so they had to wait for a whole day until the recovery team arrived.

So, I guess we've now witnessed all three possible ways.

Comment

Originally posted by moosefoot View Post

I think even Zhukovsky in Moscow was a potential emergency airport, given its crazy long runway. Now that would have been something...

By the way, in addition to the two ways of aborting an ongoing Soyuz launch that I already mentioned, it is technically possible to abort even after the payload fairing has been jettisoned and the Soyuz is "exposed", prior to orbital insertion - as was done in the 1970's, when they aborted at 135km altitude (well into space, but not yet in orbit) and separated the landing capsule for a suborbital, ballistic trajectory. They survived, but were pretty beat up by the immense G forces.

So, I guess we've now witnessed all three possible ways.
      Well all good for the crew. It seems they took a few more G´s than they would have normally...which kind of confirms that going to space still is´nt open to just anyone in any physical shape. Guess the Russians will investigate the failure and it seems manned flights are on hold until this is understood.

As you say, the shuttle could use other airports, but Dakar and Istres were usable airports in case of ejection during the launch phase. Further east would mean that the shuttle would already be at a much higher altitude and probably seperated from the tank already, and with a lot more options.

Comment

Wow, that photo:
        https://twitter.com/Astro_Alex/statu...85043980472322

Comment

Originally posted by Ivan le Fou View Post
          What i was trying to point out was: there was no way for the shuttle's crew to be "jettisoned" in case of a problem, was there?
          No.

Comment

Originally posted by moosefoot View Post
            what photo?

Comment

Originally posted by Alcaldemb View Post

No.

Technically you are right. There was no way to "jettison the crew". However the commander could jettison the boosters and the external tank to then, as stated above, either land at an alternate or blow the hatch and have the crew parachute.

Comment

Originally posted by blackcatnursery View Post

what photo?
                https://twitter.com/Astro_Alex/statu...589856257?s=09

Comment

Originally posted by Kilgor View Post

If I recall correctly, the shuttle had a similar reliability rate, something like 98%.

Except when the shuttle blew up, it carried a far larger payload of people.

Putin needs to shitccan Rogozin and clean house. All these failures cant be blamed on sabotage and other soviet mentality nonsense
                  Well, they did discover a gaping drilled hole in the last Soyuz vehicle, the one docked to the ISS right now AFAIK.

Seems it is sabotage.

Comment

Either voluntary sabotage or "mistake" on the production line?

Though I assume each parts and elements are heavily scrutinized before being assembled.

Comment

Originally posted by flamming_python View Post

Well, they did discover a gaping drilled hole in the last Soyuz vehicle, the one docked to the ISS right now AFAIK.

Seems it is sabotage.
                      Hmmm. That hole could have been drilled by mistake. And an assembly can be poorly performed.

Sabotage is plausible...although the group of people who have something to gain by sending a defective Soyouz to the space station is not really clear to me..Internal sabotage because someone wants to have a few people there fired?.

Or a drop in internal veriications and audit of suppliers.

Originally posted by Ivan le Fou View Post
                      Either voluntary sabotage or "mistake" on the production line?

Though I assume each parts and elements are heavily scrutinized before being assembled.

They should be. But a mistake is always possible. This is a tech that requires no faults: the slightest one can be fatal: Apollo 13, the oyxgen tank had a fault because it had fallen on the ground and it was´nt reported...

Comment

Sabotage or wrecking seems too Soviet a term to hide structural corruption, bad quality control and mismanagement.

Comment

Originally posted by Sniffit View Post

Technically you are right. There was no way to "jettison the crew". However the commander could jettison the boosters and the external tank to then, as stated above, either land at an alternate or blow the hatch and have the crew parachute.
                          Yes, but all are inherently riskier than the Soyuz failsafe. However, I was just addressing the question about jettisoning the crew.

Comment

Originally posted by Kilgor View Post
                            Sabotage or wrecking seems too Soviet a term to hide structural corruption, bad quality control and mismanagement.
                            Could it have been a micro meteorite strike?

Comment

Impacts leaves very distinct marks that don't seem to fit the description of the hole.

Comment

All parts of the rocket have been recovered for analysis now:
                                https://ria.ru/science/20181012/1530551281.html

Zak has written a pretty thorough article on what is known so far:
                                http://russianspaceweb.com/soyuz-ms-10.html

According to industry sources quoted on the Novosti Kosmonavtiki web forum, the pressurization valve on one of the strap-on boosters of the first stage failed to open as scheduled to push it away from the second stage during separation and it led to the collision of the empty booster with the firing second stage and damaging or pushing it off course.
                                Nowadays they have external cameras on the Soyuz, and while it is not likely that anything will be released publicly anytime soon I do hope to see it at some stage.

Comment

Working...
                                X