Head of Interpol missing in China

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by digrar View Post
    Yeah fixed that for you. At some point in these upper level international roles, you essentially cease to be a citizen in the eyes of the rest of the world. There will be a lot more noise coming from the West about Meng Hongwie than there was about Fan Bingbing.
    Didn't really help those FIFA officials detained on behalf of USA.
    Also, I think we all know why there is going to be a lot of noise about this event coming from the West, and it has nothing to do with "concern about unjustified detention of the poor citizen of the world" (at least from anyone in positions of power).

Comment

Originally posted by pla View Post
      Investigation of him is now in Chinese headlines: (in Chinese: 4th one from the top: https://news.sina.com.cn/)

Or special coverage section (Google translation may help you to get some ideas) : http://news.sina.cn/news_zt/mhw2018

Can you TL;DR it for us? From what I google translated, I managed to glean that: "According to the website of the State Commission for Discipline Inspection of the Central Commission for Discipline Inspection, Meng Hongwei, deputy minister of the Ministry of Public Security, is suspected of breaking the law and is currently under investigation by the State Supervision Commission."

Maybe I have missed something, but this is not very informative.

Comment

Originally posted by ak16 View Post

Can you TL;DR it for us? From what I google translated, I managed to glean that: "According to the website of the State Commission for Discipline Inspection of the Central Commission for Discipline Inspection, Meng Hongwei, deputy minister of the Ministry of Public Security, is suspected of breaking the law and is currently under investigation by the State Supervision Commission."

Maybe I have missed something, but this is not very informative.
        Well, the Chinese media is focusing on the fact that he is suspected of breaking the law, not simply breaking party's disciplines. Breaking party's disciplines may not land you in prison, but breaking the law would land you in prison. So this is serious. If found guilty, he will go to prison. Chinese communist party members are subject to party disciplines and legal codes. Some activities we non-party members can do, but is not allowed for party members. For example, what Trump did with the Russians would certainly get you kicked out of the party, if not land you in prison, in China.

So, he is suspected of breaking the legal code, not just party disciplines.

Comment

Originally posted by ak16 View Post

Didn't really help those FIFA officials detained on behalf of USA.
          Also, I think we all know why there is going to be a lot of noise about this event coming from the West, and it has nothing to do with "concern about unjustified detention of the poor citizen of the world" (at least from anyone in positions of power).
          At least don't become "unpersons" and disappear from the planet only to surface months or years later.

To use an analogy, if a top US actor or actress just disappeared for 3 months it would be a international frenzy.

Comment

Originally posted by Kilgor View Post

At least don't become "unpersons" and disappear from the planet only to surface months or years later.

To use an analogy, if a top US actor or actress just disappeared for 3 months it would be a international frenzy.
            You don't really notice a US actor or actress missing until you haven't seen them in a movie for a while. Like Johnny Depp, where's he at? I don't even care aye, not until his next movie.

Comment

Working...
            X