Chinese spy chips are found in hardware used by Apple, Amazon

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chinese spy chips are found in hardware used by Apple, Amazon

Data center equipment run by Amazon Web Services and Apple may have been subject to surveillance from the Chinese government via a tiny microchip inserted during the equipment manufacturing process, according to a Bloomberg BusinessWeek report on Thursday. The claims in the report have been strongly disputed by the technology giants.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnb...ek-report.html

https://techcrunch.com/2018/10/04/bl...ity-reporting/

.......... But Bloomberg’s delivery could have been better. Just as The New York Times does — even as recently as its coverage of President Trump’s tax affairs, Bloomberg missed an opportunity to be more open and transparent in how it came to the conclusions that it did. Journalism isn’t proprietary. It should be open to as many people as possible. If you’re not transparent in how you report things, you lose readers’ trust.

That’s where the story rests on shaky ground. Admittedly, as detailed and as well-sourced as the story is, you — and I — have to put a lot of trust and faith in Bloomberg and its reporters.

And in this day and age where “fake news” is splashed around wrongly and unfairly, for the sake of journalism, my only hope is they’re not wrong.

Comment

Critics of Bloomberg’s story have rightfully argued for more information — such as more technical data on the chip, its design and its functionality. Rightfully so — it’s entirely reasonable to want to know more. Jake Williams, a former NSA hacker turned founder of Rendition Infosec, told me that the story is “credible,” but “even if it turns out to be untrue, the capability exists and you need to architect your networks to detect this.”

I was hesitant to cover this at first given the complexity of the allegations and how explosive the claims are without also seeking confirmation. That’s not easy to do in an hour when Bloomberg’s reporters have been working for the best part of a year. Assuming Bloomberg did everything right — a cover story on its magazine, no less, which would have gone through endless editing and fact-checking before going to print — the reporters likely hit a wall and had nothing more to report, and went to print.
      You missed an important chunk preceding your selected quote. The article you linked does not dismiss the allegations discussed in the Bloomberg report.

China and tech companies are mutually invested in pretending this has not occurred and can not occur.

Comment

Originally posted by Devil Child View Post

You missed an important chunk preceding your selected quote. The article you linked does not dismiss the allegations discussed in the Bloomberg report.

China and tech companies are mutually invested in pretending this has not occurred and can not occur.

I provided the link. If I am allowed to, I would copy and paste the whole article here.

Comment

He means the two paragraphs before the one you posted homie.

Comment

If this report is true, then I hope China can come up with better "spy chips". If this report is not true, then I hope China can make it true.

Why? Very very very very simple. America and everyone else do it and may even be better at it.

Comment

A spy chip like a rice kernel? Could only be the Chinese. If it was like buckwheat, all fingers would of course point to the Russians.

Comment

Will Chinese companies get black balled from any sensitive contracts before they can get better at it? Like the Australian 5G contract that it appears Huawei will be blacked from?

Comment

Originally posted by pla View Post
                  If this report is true, then I hope China can come up with better "spy chips". If this report is not true, then I hope China can make it true.

Why? Very very very very simple. America and everyone else do it and may even be better at it.
                  That's funny because wasn't Chinese I.P addresses popping up on security alerts in people's business and personal computers for well over a decade? Maybe China's ahead of the game more than people know or care to understand due to the longstanding prejudice against Chinese tech.

Comment

Originally posted by digrar View Post
                    Will Chinese companies get black balled from any sensitive contracts before they can get better at it? Like the Australian 5G contract that it appears Huawei will be blacked from?
                    Well, Australia is having difficulties proving that Huawei is at it. So how can Huawei get better at it?

China may not play your game anymore. In the case of Huawei, no solid evidence was given. Blocking Huawei is pure political. Huawei is doing fine without the US market, so it would be just fine without Australia. Don't want high tech at reasonable price? That's Australia's loss. Ever wondered why China is working so hard in poor developing world?

Comment

Well, Australia is having difficulties proving that Huawei is at it. So how can Huawei get better at it?
                      That would be the UK that are trying to nail down what is actually going on. Australia is just taking notice and taking the obvious precautions.

Don't want high tech at reasonable price? That's Australia's loss.
                      It's not a reasonable price if it's compromised technology.

Ever wondered why China is working so hard in poor developing world?
                      No one is wondering, everyone knows why China is targeting the developing world and it's why we spend most of our foreign aid on our close developing neighbours.

Comment

Originally posted by digrar View Post

It's not a reasonable price if it's compromised technology.

Finally, we have an adult in the room. I thank you for using that word "if." Huawei and ZTE have global ambitions. It would be pure stupidity to compromise its ambitions by getting involved in the spy business. China can only play your game for so long. There is nothing China can do if you are that paranoid about China. It is fine if we have your business, it is also fine if we don't. China will continue to rise regardless what Australia does.

Comment

It's probably just fake news, or a thinly disguised hit piece that smears China's high tech industry further more, giving Western companies even more false pretenses to boycott Chinese products.

https://9to5mac.com/2018/10/05/chinese-spy-chip/

Comment

Originally posted by MRAPer View Post
                            It's probably just fake news, or a thinly disguised hit piece that smears China's high tech industry further more, giving Western companies even more false pretenses to boycott Chinese products.

https://9to5mac.com/2018/10/05/chinese-spy-chip/
                            Don't worry I don't really listen to smear pieces, I go off experience. The only issue I have with Chinese mobile phones is the fact that I never checked the GSM frequency before purchasing one. You really should adjust it to the market you're selling in. The reception is key for some people.

Comment

The good news is that the Chinese media is not letting this smear piece skip the spot light. It is fully exploiting it to educate the Chinese on how far some Westerners would go to smear China.

Well, we are not surprised at all. The leader of the Western world has declared that climate change is a Chinese hoax.

https://www.theverge.com/platform/am...erg-china-chip

http://www.cnbc.com/amp/2018/10/05/c...ur-expert.html

Comment

Working...
                              X