Alex Jones on his last leg - YouTube, Facebook and iTunes drop InfoWars

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sniffit View Post
    It's treatment for intelectual self-harm.
    Or maybe those self-proclaimed "liberals" were never liberal to begin with.
    Or it could be that they are just too daft to realize that a plurality of opinion and healthy and unrestricted discourse on all topics is beneficial for society as a whole since it leads to a self-regulating, and therefore stable, political process. I can think of a few cases where control over information and censorship caused a society to fail spectacularly and the "pendulum to swing in the opposite direction" as it is wont to do.

Comment

Originally posted by ak16 View Post

Or maybe those self-proclaimed "liberals" were never liberal to begin with.
      Or it could be that they are just too daft to realize that a plurality of opinion and healthy and unrestricted discourse on all topics is beneficial for society as a whole since it leads to a self-regulating, and therefore stable, political process. I can think of a few cases where control over information and censorship caused a society to fail spectacularly and the "pendulum to swing in the opposite direction" as it is wont to do.

Oh ffs it's not about opinion, the man is literally spreading shite disguised as words. Monetizing on the mentally challenged who buys into his crack pot conspiracy theories.

Comment

Oh ffs it's not about opinion, the man is literally spreading shite disguised as words. Monetizing on the mentally challenged who buys into his crack pot conspiracy theories.

Yeah and with curent tech he and any other whacko can propagate it with minimal effort globaly without public having ability to discern it from lies. It is a modern version of things like:

The race of Sciopodes are said to live in Ethiopia; they have only one leg, and are wonderfully speedy. The Greeks call them σκιαπόδεϛ ("shade-footed ones") because when it is hot they lie on their backs on the ground and are shaded by the great size of their feet.

It is matter of simple mathematic. If statisticaly 1% of any group are radicals and 1% of radicals are extremists. Then you reach sufficient audience you can find enough peoples to cause measurable harm with your action.

Peoples like anit-vaxers were not much of a problem because they had limited ability to spread their bs. With internet they can reach sufficient audience and poll resouces to create suficient propaganda machine to cause measurable harm to our society.

Comment

Oh ffs it's not about opinion, the man is literally spreading shite disguised as words.
          That describes the majority of the content on YouTube.

I don’t care if YouTube ultimately decides to only allow content with a specific ideology, or to ban anyone in particular at their sole discretion. That’s their right. But let’s not pretend Jones is unique in spreading shit disguised as words.

Originally posted by Asheren View Post
          Yeah and with curent tech he and any other whacko can propagate it with minimal effort globaly without public having ability to discern it from lies.
          Those who have a brain can discern. Those who don’t, won’t. Nothing’s changed.

Bullshit has been propogated via mass-media for a long time. Web 2.0 has simply made it possible for more content, which includes both good content and bullshit.

I’d actually say it’s made people a bit more discerning as it’s become easier to see that the previously trusted sources of information many accepted as gospel are more concerned with spreading an agenda instead of reporting the truth.
          Last edited by Jonathan; 09-08-2018, 09:34 AM.

Comment

Here's a question for you: Let's just pretend for a second that I could prove to your satisfaction that Jones's audience is going to increase because those companies took him down; would you still support the effort?

Comment

It is not good, if the leftist pressure groups can cause these platforms to be denied for the right-wing people. There's already enough these leftist propaganda outlets. Not that I especially listen to Alex Jones, but neither I do any of the SJW nutcases. What next? Censor all the Jordan Peterson videos?

Btw. aren't there some actually sane people also under the Infowars umbrella?
              Last edited by Piirka; 09-08-2018, 11:39 AM.

Comment

He's a free man. He can say what he wants as far as I'm concerned and if he breaks any laws doing it, it's up to a court to judge him, not me, not you, not the angry mob.
                His audience is free to watch / hear anything they want too.
                If you don't want people to watch his stuff, give them something more compelling to watch.

Comment

Originally posted by Xaito View Post
                  He's a free man. He can say what he wants as far as I'm concerned and if he breaks any laws doing it, it's up to a court to judge him, not me, not you, not the angry mob.
                  If you don't want people to watch his stuff, give them something more compelling to watch.
                  Well, its safe to assume that you haven't really followed his case, neither have his little fanbois who will scream ''muh free speech, muh 1st amendment'' over his lunacy.

Jones has practically terrorized the parents of murdered Sandy Hook children. I've read that some have had to move house several times because of harassment. I read also that SH parents are suing him and Alex Jones’ Lawyer Seeks To Make Sandy Hook Parents’ Home Addresses Public.

Read here: http://thehill.com/homenews/media/400...parents-public

We get it - totalitarian state, "China style censorship''. ''Dangerous precedent'' ''libtards leftists''.

Again, freedom of speech =/= manipulating the (gormless) masses. I suspect Jones really isn't that stupid and doesn't even believe his lies but is, or was quite happy having the big corporations leave him deliver his propaganda over the years.

In the meantime, I will happily follow the SH dossier as read above and I'm hopeful that he is convicted because the Sandy Hook parents don't need more dramas in their life than what Adam Lanza did to their children, or that crackpot Jones has done too - calling it a governement false flag and his braindead followers threats.
                  Last edited by Jake; 09-08-2018, 04:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jake View Post

Well, its safe to assume that you haven't really followed his case, neither have his little fanbois who will scream ''muh free speech, muh 1st amendment'' over his lunacy.

Jones has practically terrorized the parents of murdered Sandy Hook children. I've read that some have had to move house several times because of harassment. I read also that SH parents are suing him and Alex Jones’ Lawyer Seeks To Make Sandy Hook Parents’ Home Addresses Public.

We get it - totalitarian state, "China style censorship''. ''Dangerous precedent'' ''libtards leftists''.

Again, freedom of speech =/= manipulating the (gormless) masses. I suspect Jones really isn't that stupid and doesn't even believe his lies but is, or was quite happy having the big corporations leave him deliver his propaganda ove the years.

In the meantime, I will happily follow the SH dossier as read above and I'm hopeful that he is convicted because the Sandy Hook parents don't need more dramas in their life than what Adam Lanza did to their children, or that crackpot Jones has done too - calling it a governement false flag and his braindead followers threats.
                    Everybody seems to agree Alex Jones is a scumbag (or a shameless opportunist at best).

Comment

Yep - I have no problem with free speech, or the 1st amendment which I am a fierce supporter but when you are manipulating a bunch of people in order to stir up shit, potentially causing dramas or murders, this has to stop. And it become a legal case.

Comment

Yep - I have no problem with free speech, or the 1st amendment which I am a fierce supporter but when you are manipulating a bunch of people in order to stir up shit, potentially causing dramas or murders, this has to stop. And it become a legal case.
                        We’ll see how the Sandy Hook thing turns out.

Deliberately manipulating people and shit stirring for the sole purpose of shit stirring is certainly protected under the First Amendment.

Threats (as defined by a very specific legal standard), direct incitement to imminent crime or lawless action (also as defined by narrow interpretation of the law), or defamation (which must result in real damages) isn’t protected.
                        Last edited by Jonathan; 09-08-2018, 04:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan View Post
                          Everybody seems to agree Alex Jones is a scumbag (or a shameless opportunist at best).
                          He plays a character to a receptive audience , perfectly.

The bigger picture is the silencing of anyone who doesn't fit the bill of the leftist vision of the future.

One podcast presenter question... how can youtube promote communist party videos that demand the theft of private property ? Sounds like a crime to me.

Banning an Opinion
                          I don’t think YouTube and Facebook taking Alex Jones off is a First Amendment issue, or is censorship. It certainly is a double standard. Why are Alex Jones’ videos being taken down? Supposedly because it is hate speech or fake news. It is his opinion, and if you don’t want to listen to it, don’t. I don’t think he is out there inciting violence. There are actually sites on YouTube and Facebook that do advocate violence. There are Communist YouTube channels. Why is that allowed on YouTube? What is Communism? That is where the government forcibly steals private property. Communism is a much bigger threat to the families in Newtown than Alex Jones denying that there was a shooting there.
                          https://www.schiffradio.com/double-s...y-left-ep-377/

Comment

1) If he does something against the law, then prosecute him. Otherwise, leave him and people like him be. As long as his arguments are not logical and backed up by evidence, the self-regulating system of public discourse will make sure that his views will never be held by the majority.

2) As I have learned from experience, there is nothing you can do about this sort of people (truthers, flat-earthers, etc...). This minority will always exist and will always be happy to believe in illogical crack-pot theories. However, if you start cracking down on them, many of them will turn into "political activists" and "fighters against an oppressive regime" and before you know it your country is in deep shit.

3) A fool and his money is easily parted. There is nothing that you can do, nor any government can legislate, that could potentially invalidate this statement.

Comment

I haven't. But since he's not locked up without parole just yet, I don't think he's scummy enough to justify making any exemptions to free speech rights.

That's a legal issue between the parents and him. I think the courts will manage and don't need youtube's et. al. help with this case.

Again, freedom of speech =/= manipulating the (gormless) masses. I suspect Jones really isn't that stupid and doesn't even believe his lies but is, or was quite happy having the big corporations leave him deliver his propaganda over the years.

The issue to exemptions to free speech rule is that someone will have to interpret what is allowed and what's not. And with all the trigger warnings, safe spaces and other attacks on free speech, I don't think we need that thought policing right now.

Comment

That describes the majority of the content on YouTube.

I don’t care if YouTube ultimately decides to only allow content with a specific ideology, or to ban anyone in particular at their sole discretion. That’s their right. But let’s not pretend Jones is unique in spreading shit disguised as words.
                                Absolutley agree, but atm we are discussing Alex Jones not all the other shit on the internet.

Bullshit has been propogated via mass-media for a long time. Web 2.0 has simply made it possible for more content, which includes both good content and bullshit.
                                The difference between traditional media and a demagauge like Alex Jones is that there are mechanisms in place to atleast in theory to keep them reporting the truth.
                                And here traditional media are open about thier political leanings (all except state media that are so left it makes Mao smile).

Originally posted by muck View Post
                                Here's a question for you: Let's just pretend for a second that I could prove to your satisfaction that Jones's audience is going to increase because those companies took him down; would you still support the effort?
                                Yes. If they had been a bit more activce in policing this sort of shit in the early days people like Alex Jones would likely not reached such a wide audience. Hopefully they will shut down others that do more harm then good too.

Originally posted by Piirka View Post
                                It is not good, if the leftist pressure groups can cause these platforms to be denied for the right-wing people. There's already enough these leftist propaganda outlets. Not that I especially listen to Alex Jones, but neither I do any of the SJW nutcases. What next? Censor all the Jordan Peterson videos?
                                I am decidedly right on the political spectrum, Alex Jones is not.

Originally posted by Xaito View Post
                                He can say what ever he likes in the privacy of his own home, when he does it in public there is a whole slew of regulations that come into effect. Also these companies have no obligation to give him or anyone else space on their platforms.

Originally posted by Kilgor View Post
                                He plays a character to a receptive audience , perfectly.

The bigger picture is the silencing of anyone who doesn't fit the bill of the leftist vision of the future.

One podcast presenter question... how can youtube promote communist party videos that demand the theft of private property ? Sounds like a crime to me.
                                We can only hope, communism should be as despised as nazism, unfortunatly not everyone agrees, mainly the dirty communists themselves.

Originally posted by ak16 View Post

1) If he does something against the law, then prosecute him. Otherwise, leave him and people like him be. As long as his arguments are not logical and backed up by evidence, the self-regulating system of public discourse will make sure that his views will never be held by the majority.

2) As I have learned from experience, there is nothing you can do about this sort of people (truthers, flat-earthers, etc...). This minority will always exist and will always be happy to believe in illogical crack-pot theories. However, if you start cracking down on them, many of them will turn into "political activists" and "fighters against an oppressive regime" and before you know it your country is in deep shit.

3) A fool and his money is easily parted. There is nothing that you can do, nor any government can legislate, that could potentially invalidate this statement.
                                So what you are saying is that, in your opinion, corporations should be forced to give space to demagauges they don't agree with?

Comment

Working...
                                X