Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beware Chinese Trojan horses in the Balkans, EU warns

https://www.politico.eu/article/joha...itico-podcast/
    The EU has sounded the alarm about China’s role in the Western Balkans, warning that Beijing could turn countries in the region into Trojan horses that would one day be European Union members.
    European Commissioner Johannes Hahn told POLITICO’s EU Confidential podcastthat China’s “combination of capitalism and a political dictatorship” could appeal to some leaders in the region on the Continent’s southeastern flank.

But btu but all the chinese get is interest rate . Its all made by local subie contractors procured by those filthy Mericans.

https://www.bechtel.com/about-us/history/#1889

Least one thing is certain . After learning how to do a highway the tradies won't be invading British jobs. Yep Bob can rest easy for a change. His wages will stay the same.

Comment

People in the Balkans are not stupid. They know that China is in their countries for China's own interests. This "warning" is a sign that the Balkans are doing something right. They got EU's attention. The Balkans now have more bargaining power at the table. They can ask for better deals from the EU when China is their alternative source for support. Don't just say that you don't want the Chinese trojan horses. Treat the Balkans right, then there will be no trojan horses.

Comment

Hey if they default on the loans the Germans can breathe easy aswell.

Comment

Originally posted by primer View Post
          Hey if they default on the loans the Germans can breathe easy aswell.

This is why no one can give out loans like China. China does not expect everyone to pay back all the loans. China has a highly diversified investment portfolio. Some will never be able to pay back the loans. China is sincerely trying to grow other fellow developing countries. As long as the developing world is growing as a whole, then China's investment is paying off. Kinda like investing in stock. You can't expect every stock to perform. Of course, the West is going to put every single failed Chinese investment in the headlines.

Comment

Originally posted by pla View Post

This is why no one can give out loans like China. China does not expect everyone to pay back all the loans. China has a highly diversified investment portfolio. Some will never be able to pay back the loans. China is sincerely trying to grow other fellow developing countries. As long as the developing world is growing as a whole, then China's investment is paying off. Kinda like investing in stock. You can't expect every stock to perform. Of course, the West is going to put every single failed Chinese investment in the headlines.
            So when China 🇨🇳 loans money to developing world countries for infrastructure that can never possibly be paid back with associated income China will just forgive those loans?

Or will China 🇨🇳 use loan defaults as leverage for political/economic influence to achieve its desired endstate?

The former is what family members do, the latter is what countries like China do as policy to achieve desired level of control.

Your portrayal is BS.

Comment

Originally posted by Flagg View Post

So when China 🇨🇳 loans money to developing world countries for infrastructure that can never possibly be paid back with associated income China will just forgive those loans?

Or will China 🇨🇳 use loan defaults as leverage for political/economic influence to achieve its desired endstate?

The former is what family members do, the latter is what countries like China do as policy to achieve desired level of control.

Your portrayal is BS.
              China will always do what is best in China's own self-interests.

Comment

Of course it will.

So,please don’t try to portray it as philanthropy or selflessness.

Comment

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-c...-idUSKBN1K60QX

Like the Macedonia highway loan?

A Chinese loan for the first phase has sent Montenegro's debt soaring and forced the government to raise taxes, partially freeze public sector wages and end a benefit for mothers to get its finances in order.

Comment

Doesn't that sounds double?
                    Like those African nations, they offer a lot of recources and possibly cheap labours if the average Chineese demands decent working conditions. They let themselfs be exploited for a second time.
                    Chineese factories full of Africans...generous China!

Comment

“combination of capitalism and a political dictatorship”

I think this is one of the issues (and applicable to the wider area). The Balkans never had a period of economic boom in conjunction with liberal values. So rather than looking at the West for a working model (human rights and the rule of law, pfff! that sounds like hard work!), they will chose China's model instead (I allow corporations to make money, for a cut, while I tell people how to behave, I can do that!).

We will see how things evolve, but for now, this totalitarian approach in Easter European countries are hindered by EU membership. That's not a factor in the Western Balkans. And sure, the EU could repair the damage, but it would be nice if this would not be necessary to begin with (ergo the warning).

Oh and, if less than nice political forces know they can get money form China without the need of human rights and the lot, why bother with EU convergence? Because the people what that, pfff, like that matters... /sarcasm

Comment

Originally posted by Flagg View Post

Of course it will.

So,please don’t try to portray it as philanthropy or selflessness.
                        Please don't tell me how to portray China. I never portrayed China as being "selfless".

Comment

So do you portray China as selfish?

Comment

Originally posted by Mokordo View Post
                            So do you portray China as selfish?

A country cannot be personified. China is a country, hence it cannot be portrayed as "selfish" or "selfless."

I can portray China as a country that is investing MORE in non-carbon based energy sources than countries that are wealthier than China.
                            I can portray China as a country that hasn't been involved in any armed conflicts outside China in almost 30 years.
                            I can portray China as a country that has contributed to over 90% of World's poverty alleviation over the past 40 years.
                            I can portray China as a country that has caused zero death in its "aggressive" disputes in the South China Seas over the past 20 plus years.
                            I can portray China as a country that has peacefully settled land border disputes with 12 of its 14 direct neighbors over the past 30 years.
                            I can portray China as a country that is involved in an international economic initiative that is 12 times the Marshall Plan.
                            I can portray China as a country that has contributed MORE to global growth in 2017 than EU, USA and Japan combined.
                            I can portray China with a thousand other positive things,...blah blah blah...

This is not to say there aren't negative things about China. I don't want to take Westerners' spot. I leave the negative portrayals of China to Westerners.

Comment

This is not to say there aren't negative things about China. I don't want to take Westerners' spot. I leave the negative portrayals of China to Westerners.
                              No, no, please. I'm offering you my spot for "the negative portrayals of China". Myself and others would be interested to hear your opinion on that. -- I am being serious.

Comment

Working...
                              X