Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Japanese cult leader Shoko Asahara executed for Tokyo sarin attack.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Japanese cult leader Shoko Asahara executed for Tokyo sarin attack.

Seven members of the Aum Shinrikyo cult, which carried out the deadly 1995 sarin gas attack on the Tokyo subway, have been executed, Japanese officials said Friday.
    Good riddance.

Here : https://edition.cnn.com/2018/07/05/a...ntl/index.html

This was long overdue. Death to all sects.

Comment

Originally posted by JakeScully View Post
      Diocletian, is it you ?

Comment

Can't say that I will shed any more tears for him than he did for his victims...

Comment

Let's just mention that what we call "sectes" in France are "cults" for the Anglo-Saxons. In English, "a sect" is just an off shoot of a religion (like Sunnis and Chiites are "sects" of Islam, Catholicism, Protestantism and Orthodoxy are "sects" of Christianity, etc...) The Scientology, or the Jehovah's Witness are cults by French law.

Death to all sects would basically mean "Death to all religions"...

This educational message is now finished. You may go back to your business.

PS : good riddance to that mofo. Always surprised to remember Japan has death penalty.

Comment

These psychopaths could have made enough Sarin to kill 4 million people, thank god they were woefully incompetent in their dispersal mechanisms.

Comment

Didn't know he was still alive.

Well, used to be anyway.

From what I have heard/read the death-penalty system in Japan is a bit vicious. Apparently the "candidate" is not told when he will be executed, so each and every morning he will wake up thinking it is probably his last day.
              Or something along those lines.

Comment

I knew he'd been sentenced years ago, but never noticed whether it had been carried out.

Comment

Originally posted by TG0211 View Post
                  Let's just mention that what we call "sectes" in France are "cults" for the Anglo-Saxons. In English, "a sect" is just an off shoot of a religion (like Sunnis and Chiites are "sects" of Islam, Catholicism, Protestantism and Orthodoxy are "sects" of Christianity, etc...) The Scientology, or the Jehovah's Witness are cults by French law.

Death to all sects would basically mean "Death to all religions"...

This educational message is now finished. You may go back to your business.

PS : good riddance to that mofo. Always surprised to remember Japan has death penalty.
                  I could argue that a religion is a cult that succeeded but I could be in trouble here.

Comment

I could argue that a religion is a cult that succeeded but I could be in trouble here.
                    Why be in trouble
                    Historically, this is pretty much the case be it for monotheism or polytheism

Comment

Incredibly lengthy process after an insanity plea... The whole cult behavior thing could be considered a good buttress in a defence. Generally the science based thinkers consider it a madness.

Comment

Originally posted by primer View Post
                        Incredibly lengthy process after an insanity plea... The whole cult behavior thing could be considered a good buttress in a defence. Generally the science based thinkers consider it a madness.

It is, but as a science based thinker I don't consider it an excuse for his crimes.

I am ambivalent about the death penalty in some respects. If it was the - and in this case it was - good riddance. If not, and if 'madness' is not a factor, then why not have life in jail to contemplate one's mistakes (cost is horrendous I know, but I'm talking moral punishment grounds).

But the idea of state-sanctioned execution as 'retribution' to make the victims [biblically] happier, well that's just silly. No sympathy for the killer here but is it really the state's obligation to feed our very human lust for revenge?

Comment

Nah, you're fine . Many people think so too, and you didn't break any forum rule. That's a famous quote.

And I was just being "educative", bringing up how the meaning of these words were "reversed" between English and French (like "liberal"... 180° opposites depending the language used)

Comment

I thought he died in prison long ago!

Comment

Working...
                            X