Eight years of Budget Cutting, Britain...spreading poverty

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eight years of Budget Cutting, Britain...spreading poverty

After eight years of budget cutting, Britain is looking less like the rest of Europe and more like the United States, with a shrinking welfare state and spreading poverty.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/28/w...T.nav=top-news

In the eight years since London began sharply curtailing support for local governments, the borough of Knowsley, a bedroom community of Liverpool, has seen its budget cut roughly in half. Liverpool itself has suffered a nearly two-thirds cut in funding from the national government — its largest source of discretionary revenue. Communities in much of Britain have seen similar losses.

For a nation with a storied history of public largess, the protracted campaign of budget cutting, started in 2010 by a government led by the Conservative Party, has delivered a monumental shift in British life. A wave of austerity has yielded a country that has grown accustomed to living with less, even as many measures of social well-being — crime rates, opioid addiction, infant mortality, childhood poverty and homelessness — point to a deteriorating quality of life.

Austerity s been a disaster cowboy , with working families probably hit the hardest . I think incomes are down around 12% from 2008 . Of course that then means a lower tax take and then the death spiral starts . Any reasonable financial advisor will tell you , when a market crashes is when you put your money in . On a more upbeat note I've never seen more Ferrari s and Porsche s on the road as I have seen recently .

Comment

This article has been a hit over here. A few sources have torn it apart, his facts are, well, made up.

Comment

Originally posted by bfc1001 View Post
        Austerity s been a disaster cowboy , with working families probably hit the hardest . I think incomes are down around 12% from 2008 . Of course that then means a lower tax take and then the death spiral starts . Any reasonable financial advisor will tell you , when a market crashes is when you put your money in . On a more upbeat note I've never seen more Ferrari s and Porsche s on the road as I have seen recently .
        That makes me think of when my son was in Saudi. He said people were either riding camels, sitting on the side of the road, smoking hookahs, or driving hummers.

Comment

Recently met with a Romanian friend who was on holiday from work in the U.K. (he has been over there over two years now) claims its booming, lots of work there IF you want it,
          he works with a firm that supplies work clothes, safety boots hard hats etc..etc.. for construction industry. ne thing he did notice the amount of British people whinging about the state of the country, but not willing to work officially but quite willing to collect welfare.

Comment

Originally posted by Connaught Ranger View Post
            Recently met with a Romanian friend who was on holiday from work in the U.K. (he has been over there over two years now) claims its booming, lots of work there IF you want it,
            he works with a firm that supplies work clothes, safety boots hard hats etc..etc.. for construction industry. ne thing he did notice the amount of British people whinging about the state of the country, but not willing to work officially but quite willing to collect welfare.
            Yes British people do whinge about the UK as we are fed up of all the people here who have contributed nothing and who are just here to ponce off the welfare state and the NHS

As someone who has worked all his life and created jobs and paid a *hit load of tax I blame the Liebour party under Bliar for the demise of England as it was

As you also point out there are a lot of white British who need to get off their arses and get a job and get off welfare - welfare for me needs to go back to food and clothing stamps - and work for welfare. Its easy to sit on you big fat arse and watch Jeremy Kyle all day. I would also bring back national service - if you want a gap year spend it in the army..........

Find your local food bank with you i-phone app kind of like sums it up for me

Comment

Paddle to the Porsche.

Comment

Originally posted by blackcatnursery View Post

Yes British people do whinge about the UK as we are fed up of all the people here who have contributed nothing and who are just here to ponce off the welfare state and the NHS

As someone who has worked all his life and created jobs and paid a *hit load of tax I blame the Liebour party under Bliar for the demise of England as it was

As you also point out there are a lot of white British who need to get off their arses and get a job and get off welfare - welfare for me needs to go back to food and clothing stamps - and work for welfare. Its easy to sit on you big fat arse and watch Jeremy Kyle all day. I would also bring back national service - if you want a gap year spend it in the army..........

Personally I think most Brits work , the ones that don't are in a definite minority . It is a shame we fail to celebrate this .

Comment

Originally posted by bfc1001 View Post

Personally I think most Brits work , the ones that don't are in a definite minority . It is a shame we fail to celebrate this .
                  unfortunately for a lot of people who want to work the gap between working and benefits is just not enough - when they add on the on costs of going to work - travel etc. its just not worth it

Comment

unfortunately for a lot of people who want to work the gap between working and benefits is just not enough - when they add on the on costs of going to work - travel etc. its just not worth it
                    A sure sign of a broken economy . The only growth seems to come from immigration which of course expands GDP making it look like growth , but in reality everyone s flat lining.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Shiftycent View Post

Really good map that . It really shows the divisions within Europe , and within individual countries . It's the concentration of wealth and it's effects that has led to the political discourse we see in Europe today .

Comment

Just to clarify I never mentioned "white" in my comment, and the day of National Service is long gone, from a security point of view it would be virtually impossible to assess potential terrorists (regardless of agenda) from getting training or infiltrating the security services as fifth columnists in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Connaught Ranger View Post

Just to clarify I never mentioned "white" in my comment, and the day of National Service is long gone, from a security point of view it would be virtually impossible to assess potential terrorists (regardless of agenda) from getting training or infiltrating the security services as fifth columnists in my opinion.
                            Agreed. Don't foist your poorly parented shits onto me. Making your little fuck trophies a professional army's problem instead of their fucking wet parents.

Who, I'd add would be the first to cry when a video emerges of their little gem getting fucking destroyed by their DS.

Comment

Originally posted by Moose_Hates_You View Post

Agreed. Don't foist your poorly parented shits onto me. Making your little fuck trophies a professional army's problem instead of their fucking wet parents.

Who, I'd add would be the first to cry when a video emerges of their little gem getting fucking destroyed by their DS.
                              Israel seems to have a very professional army and reserves based on a form of national service - so its not about parenting - their DS seems to be up to the job

Comment

Working...
                              X