H&M shops looted, closed in South Africa over racist monkey sweater

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H&M shops looted, closed in South Africa over racist monkey sweater

SOUTH AFRICAN POLICE intervened to clear protesters trashing outlets of Swedish clothing giant H&M in Johannesburg in response to a controversial advertisement.
    A photo on the company’s online website of a black boy wearing a green hoodie with the inscription “coolest monkey in the jungle” had triggered outrage on social media and among observers worldwide during the week.

The company has apologised and pulled the photograph, but the Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) — a radical group set up by the expelled head of the youth wing of the ruling African National Congress — organised protests at several H&M outlets in and around Johannesburg.
    Video footage showed activists trashing displays, kicking over and pulling down clothes rails, as well as pushing over mannequins.
    “Several incidents of protests at H&M stores around the province have been reported,” the South African Police Service (SAPS) said in a tweet.
    http://www.thejournal.ie/hm-protest-...96395-Jan2018/

Good god, have some restraint...

Did somebody say shithole btw..? ..........

While looting and rioting is hardly the right response, one has to acknowledge that SA has had a singularly poor history of race relations.

Comment

Dunno... I definitely saw an ape in video footage from that vandalized H&M store.

Comment

It should read coolest ape in the jungle.

Comment

Had it been a white kid, no-one would have budged...but interestingly some Blacks seem keen always on finding just about anything to see racism. I feel sorry for all the normal Blacks who get such an image of retardness with such protests.

And when I say protests, I mean looting, brutality and all...good going. All for a hoodie that was kind of cool for a kid.

Comment

I'm against looting etc. , but both African-Americans and Irish immigrants were stereotyped as apes, or monkeys, so it wouldn't be accepted in the USA either.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy's daughter View Post
              I'm against looting etc. , but both African-Americans and Irish immigrants were stereotyped as apes, or monkeys, so it wouldn't be accepted in the USA either.
              Of course. But this was not a caricature but wording. I remember Warren Beatty in a film telling to a kid with the "UM" (unaccompanied minor) document around his neck saying that it meant "ugly monkey". It´s also an expression.

The past has its scars, but if we really want to judge the individuals and not the races, perhaps the first step is not being offended by something that was not meant for you.

Comment

African logic. Get offended because someone tells you someone else called you a monkey. Act like a monkey to prove them wrong.

GG shithole

Comment

I'd sooo run to the next H&M store and spend a thousand bucks there if the company had the guts to be like "Look, it was an accident, crank it down to proportional response!" Instead they already have the emotional statements flowing and some poor bastards are about to lose their jobs. I'm so sick of the easily offended on this planet…

By the way, looting the products of a store whose products you find offensive? Stellar idea. Looks like you weren't so offended after all.

Comment

Originally posted by muck View Post
                    By the way, looting the products of a store whose products you find offensive? Stellar idea. Looks like you weren't so offended after all.
                    Just like the looting that took place two years, during the BLM riots, had nothing much to do with "police brutality".

But eh... free stuff is free stuff.

Comment

Fire the marketing team of H&M

Comment

Originally posted by thounaojamtom View Post
                        Fire the marketing team of H&M
                        I am sure there are Blacks on the marketing team, and they saw no problem with this. I think the issue is that this thingie was used by a radical group to stir up trouble and do some marketing on their "fight against racism".

From the link provided by the OP:
                        but the Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) — a radical group set up by the expelled head of the youth wing of the ruling African National Congress — organised protests at several H&M outlets in and around Johannesburg.

Comment

Originally posted by Telmar View Post

I am sure there are Blacks on the marketing team, and they saw no problem with this. I think the issue is that this thingie was used by a radical group to stir up trouble and do some marketing on their "fight against racism".

From the link provided by the OP:
                          I was being sarcastic mate, I work in the marketing team and I am damn sure their intention was never to hurt them. People are just cry babies these days and hyper sensitive... can be offended by anything!!

Comment

Originally posted by thounaojamtom View Post
                            I was being sarcastic mate, I work in the marketing team and I am damn sure their intention was never to hurt them. People are just cry babies these days and hyper sensitive... can be offended by anything!!
                            Missed it...Sorry pal.

Comment

One thing that no one has addressed. H&M are big here in the UK. One term of endearment here is calling a child a "Cheeky Monkey" if they do or say something cute.
                              Someone just didn't think that add thru....:-) Fire the idiot and apologize to the butt hurt. If the model had been white, I can't see a melt down happening. Then again, the first reported offended person in the press here was a professional basketball player back in the States. I'm assuming that he probably never heard of the UK term of endearment for cute kids.

BTW - I believe that "Cheeky Monkey" t-shirts have been around for a very long time over here....:-)

Comment

Working...
                              X