Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawaii Gets Fake Alert About ‘Inbound’ Missile

Hawaii Gets Fake Alert About ‘Inbound’ Missile

Hawaii residents woke up to a text message warning of an imminent missile attack on Saturday, though authorities quickly said there was no such threat. “Ballistic missile threat inbound to Hawaii. Seek shelter immediately. This is not a drill,” the warning read. The Hawaii Emergency Management Agency tweeted out a statement saying there is “no missile threat” to the area after news of the alerts had flooded Twitter.
    https://www.thedailybeast.com/fake-m...waii-residents

Well that's one way to wake up. I wonder who will get the blame for this? Button pushing Norks or perhaps Putin was playful this morn?

I suspect everyone and no one at the same time.

Comment

Alert About Missile Bound for Hawaii Was Sent in Error, Officials Say

At no time, officials said, was there any indication that a nuclear attack had been launched on the United States. “The public must have confidence in our emergency alert system,” the governor, David Ige said. “I am working to get to the bottom of this so we can prevent an error of this type in the future.”

The Federal Communications Commission announced Saturday afternoon it had begun “a full investigation into the FALSE missile alert in Hawaii.”
      https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/13/u...i-missile.html

Well someone will be entering the job market very soon once they are identified.

Comment

Originally posted by Devil Child View Post
        Alert About Missile Bound for Hawaii Was Sent in Error, Officials Say

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/13/u...i-missile.html

Well someone will be entering the job market very soon once they are identified.
        My thoughts exactly. Hell, they should lock him/her up for a few days

Comment

Originally posted by breki View Post

My thoughts exactly. Hell, they should lock him/her up for a few days
          Damn right they should, think of the chaos and confusion for those 40 min.

Comment

To be honest though, if I ever got a message like that on my phone I would assume it was spam or a hoax done by hackers.

Though I guess if every single person around got the exact same message I would be concerned. All the more reason to stay away from other people.

On another note, I'm pretty good at sleeping through air raid sirens. I don't actually sleep but I don't get out of bed either.

Comment

It's just a prank bro lulz.

Someone is going to get roasted hard over that one...

Comment

I see Hawaii got the same treatment as I did during the first couple of years of my life. Even though we didn't have smartphones back in the day.

Comment

Originally posted by muck View Post
                  I see Hawaii got the same treatment as I did during the first couple of years of my life. Even though we didn't have smartphones back in the day.
                  so you going go leave us hanging on that episode?

Comment

Didn't I tell the story before, I think it was in one of your threads even? The one about Cold War memories? I grew up in a town on the Czech border, like right next to the Iron Curtain. One fine day, a gentleman from the gubbermint came for a town hall meeting and told us our homes were indefensible and that we were on our own (and likely to die) in the event of an attack. Ever since the sirens scared us shitless whenever they ran. Now it's important to know that way into the nineties air raid sirens were also used to drum up the fire department volunteers in these parts, and the signals begin with the same note. You think you'd get accustomed to it, but you can't. There were also false alarms, but I only remember one in 1989. It was really scary, as in the previous days the news had spoken a lot of discontent Soviet officers who'd rather go to war than see the USSR crumble apart.
                    I could imagine it's an even "better" experience nowadays, with breaking news and flash reports and all that rubbing it in.

Comment

Damn it Trump, the nuclear football is not a toy. Put it down!

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan View Post
                        Damn it Trump, the nuclear football is not a toy. Put it down!
                        Obviously not Trump's fault because he's got a great big button on his desk. How's he actually going to push that with his tiny hands?

Comment

99 luft ballons

Comment

Originally posted by muck View Post
                            Didn't I tell the story before, I think it was in one of your threads even? The one about Cold War memories? I grew up in a town on the Czech border, like right next to the Iron Curtain. One fine day, a gentleman from the gubbermint came for a town hall meeting and told us our homes were indefensible and that we were on our own (and likely to die) in the event of an attack. Ever since the sirens scared us shitless whenever they ran. Now it's important to know that way into the nineties air raid sirens were also used to drum up the fire department volunteers in these parts, and the signals begin with the same note. You think you'd get accustomed to it, but you can't. There were also false alarms, but I only remember one in 1989. It was really scary, as in the previous days the news had spoken a lot of discontent Soviet officers who'd rather go to war than see the USSR crumble apart.
                            I could imagine it's an even "better" experience nowadays, with breaking news and flash reports and all that rubbing it in.
                            As kids in the US in the 50s we started doing nuclear evacuation drills in pre 6th grade (about age 6 to 12) By 1963 (slightly after the Cuban missile crisis I was in 10th grade (high school) and our 1930s building for high school was 6.8 KM from a huge SAC / Stratigic Air Command base (Carswell AFB) where MANY B-52 intercontinental bombers were always based and flying in the air 24 hours a day. There were some always on the ground and some always in the air in case others couldn't take off. Prior to those (B-52s) B-58 bombers were flying 24/7.

At only 6.8 km away and our school was up on a large hill. We would have been nuclear toast. the school made us take home a paper to have our parents sign if we were to be allowed to stay at school or go home...as some kids lived further away. Anyway it was dicey in retrospecrt,.... but you learned to accept it as part of life.
                            Last edited by commanding; 13-01-2018, 06:29 PM.

Comment

Best zero budget social media marketing awareness and engagement program ever.

Everyone knows about it now. Boom! Success!

Comment

Working...
                              X