Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• December 2017: anti-Regime Protests in Iran

TEHRAN CLERIC: 'THE ENEMY WANTS TO FOMENT A NEW SEDITION'

On 3rd day of anti-regime protests, Iran blames US, Israel for stirring unrest

As hardliners organize rallies in support of government, state media claims US, UK, Israel encouraging 'dissidence' after playing a 'pivotal role' in 2009 demos

https://www.timesofisrael.com/irania...opular-unrest/

Trump on Iranian protests:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...49708915924994

Let's hope it's genuine and successful. Iran has always been ahead of the Arab world: first Islamist theocracy in '79, hopefully they will also be first in establishing a truly secular muslim-majority democratic state in the ME.

Comment

Interestingly enough one of first centers of protests is Qom. Which was seen for a long time as second most conservative major city in Iran (after Mashad), hotbed of clerical support. And yet marches are still happening there.

It seems that protests spread to every provincial capital, exlusing Mashad. And unlike in 2009, the main message isnt to change presidency and stuff like that, but completely destroy Islamic Republic system with lot of Pahlavi dynasty nostalgia around the place.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred333 View Post
        Let's hope it's genuine and successful. Iran has always been ahead of the Arab world: first Islamist theocracy in '79, hopefully they will also be first in establishing a truly secular muslim-majority democratic state in the ME.
        QFT

Well said.

Comment

Latest Iranian reports from Iran said that three people have been killed and others were injured when the Revolutionary Guard militias shot a night protest in ‎Doroud, Loerstan province, in central Iran.
          http://english.alarabiya.net/en/News...tral-Iran.html

Comment

Since the revolution to now, Iran's inflation has been persistently higher than current 10% rate. In fact 10% is a relative improvement. 38 years of mismanagement to now.

Comment

You cannot hold all the people down all the time - a very 'young' population want freedom

Comment

The twitter response is fantastic. Regime change of course. This Arab spring is true duplicity at its finest. When it's a US ally, it's genuine discontent, when it's not, it's US and Jewish meddling.

Comment

New York Times today

Iran Confronts 3rd Day of Protests, With Calls for Khamenei to Quit

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/30/w...s-rouhani.html

Comment

Umm...this is why Iran has a Revolutionary Guard Corps and why it’s so entrenched in Iranian society, more so than their own conventional forces.

The revolution is DOA: A shame, but than again; I doubt a democratic government with free elections and a check on its own power would emerge even if the revolt was successful.

Comment

As much as Id like to see Iran transition to a more progressive government, I hope the way it does so is peaceful and bloodless; another 'regime-change' situation ala. Syria will bring nothing good.

Comment

These protests will drown in a sea of blood.

Comment

Guess it depends on who is protesting and who is not.
                          Last time it was hip urban kiddies who got clubbed and shot by country idiots.
                          Keep in mind the party Iran we see in Vice reports is just the cities. The countryside is deeply conservative shia.
                          Also I hope Philip (danish ex F-16 maintenance guy, forgot his MP.net name) gets out of this mess alright.

Comment

Originally posted by JCR View Post
                            Guess it depends on who is protesting and who is not.
                            Last time it was hip urban kiddies who got clubbed and shot by country idiots.
                            Keep in mind the party Iran we see in Vice reports is just the cities. The countryside is deeply conservative shia.
                            Also I hope Philip (danish ex F-16 maintenance guy, forgot his MP.net name) gets out of this mess alright.
                            Honestly, more protestors are in basically Iran version of flyover states. The "urban hipsters" are joining only now, and strongests ones are in economically depressed places in western Iran like Ahvaz.

Comment

So let me get this straight. As soon as Iran gets a winning hand in the middle east by spreading its influence and encroaching on Israel's borders, suddenly the Iranian population wants a revolution?

I'm all for an non-Islamic Iran, just as you guys, but a big fat slimy foreign hand is more than obvious here. Any kind of revolution orchestrated and/or aided by foreigners will lead a country to ruin.

Comment

Working...
                              X