Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Australian airport owned by China paid just $1 for a 100-YEAR lease on the land

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Australian airport owned by China paid just $1 for a 100-YEAR lease on the land

China's communist government could soon own an Australian airport after paying just $1 for a 100-year lease on the land.
    The state-owned China Southern Airlines partially owns Merredin Aerodrome, 260 kilometres east of Perth, and has control of the runways, hangars and the control tower.
    However, this Chinese government company could soon own all of the country airport less than 25 years after it secretly paid the West Australian government $1 for a 100-year lease, The Australian reports.
    - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti....html#comments

Absolutely atrocious that this was allowed to happen. My country needs to cancel this contract. What happened to Australian airports being owned by Australia!?

Welcome to globalization... you guys didnt think this as a one way street right? How many compounds in developing nations are owned by western corporations and are off limits to locals?

Comment

Merredin aerodrome... I'd be very surprised if that wasn't a gravel strip. Population 2850, we're not talking about a major transport hub here.

Comment

Will someone make a movie about this?

Comment

based from Australian newspapers, the chicoms was about to buy the Kings Ranch, fortunately the Aus government stopped it. Hopefully not, Maybe, soon Australia shall be a satellite state.

Comment

Originally posted by peping View Post
            based from Australian newspapers, the chicoms was about to buy the Kings Ranch, fortunately the Aus government stopped it. Hopefully not, Maybe, soon Australia shall be a satellite state.
            Australia is a satellite state of (corporate) America.

https://www.adamtooze.com/2017/03/30...lobal-capital/

And here are the top 10 source countries for foreign investment in Australian agricultural land at June 30, 2016:

• UK – 27.5 million ha (52.7% of foreign-owned agricultural land, or 7.2% of total Australian agricultural land)
            • USA – 7.7 million ha (14.8% of foreign-owned or 2% of total agricultural land)
            • Netherlands – 2.98 million ha (5.7% of foreign-owned or 0.8% of total)
            • Singapore – 1.9 million ha (3.6% of foreign-owned or 0.5% of total)
            • China – 1.5 million ha (2.8% of foreign-owned or 0.4% of total)
            • Philippines – 1.1 million ha (2.2% of foreign-owned or 0.3% of total)
            • Switzerland – 1.1 million ha (2.1% of foreign-owned or 0.3% of total)
            • Jersey – 0.9 million ha (1.8% of foreign-owned or 0.25% of total)
            • Indonesia – 0.8 million ha (1.5% of foreign-owned or 0.2% of total)
            • Japan – 0.7 million ha (1.3% of foreign-owned or 0.18% of total)
            https://www.businessinsider.com.au/c...stralia-2016-9

Comment

I'm looking for some Aussie real estate, airport, beach, national park, Sidney. Got a $1.50 burning a hole in my pocket.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitleser1987 View Post
                Will someone make a movie about this?

Yeah, whatever happened to that airport? Is this guy making any money off it, yet?

Looks like another German airport got bought by a Chinese company: http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/articl...frankfurt-hahn

Why the outrage? Was this deal done illegally? Was the Australian side tricked by the Chinese side? or is this outrage pure sentimental?

Comment

I'm having a hard time seeing the issue. I guess I should study it more, but I see a small town with a small airport that gets rented out for single engine prop-jobbers being used to train pilots in the sunny weather. Does CSA pay monies to maintain the facilities? If so, sounds like a win win.

As long as it's still Aussie land and Aussie law applies.... These suggestions I hear occasionally for little Chinese exclusion zones set up in the middle of western US backcountry counties makes me rather ambivalent.

Comment

Originally posted by RobertKLR View Post
                    I'm looking for some Aussie real estate, airport, beach, national park, Sidney. Got a $1.50 burning a hole in my pocket.
                    You're going to need a bit more cash!

Comment

Originally posted by Euroamerican View Post

You're going to need a bit more cash!
                      I'm not looking to buy the whole country, just a big piece of it.

Comment

if I put the other $1.50 in do you fancy buying Poland?

Comment

Won't even buy you a fart in the wind in a capital city.

Everyone loves to complain about the Chinese, but love the amount of money they pump into our economy.

Comment

Originally posted by Kilgor View Post

Won't even buy you a fart in the wind in a capital city.

Everyone loves to complain about the Chinese, but love the amount of money they pump into our economy.
                            How could real estate prices go up so much since my first post? Looks a bubble situation is developing.

Comment

Originally posted by Junglejim View Post
                              Welcome to globalization... you guys didnt think this as a one way street right? How many compounds in developing nations are owned by western corporations and are off limits to locals?
                              I'd say it's a little different when the country being bought up is developed, has a strong sense of nationalism and self and has issues with foreign ownership of its land, particularly when the state buying up or leasing land is a belligerent entity that ignores international law and is actively brewing up a Cold War by it's aggressive expansionism and expanding military capability.

The same issue applies to China's 100 year lease of Darwin port, which plays host to Australian and United States naval vessels... that deal was not in our national interest, neither is the buying up of our agricultural land by a country that has polluted a good deal of its own. I don't have much problem with private business investment in our country, it's a different matter when those "private businesses" are partially owned by the Chinese state.

As to the airport, its a small dual runway deal, hard-surfaced with what looks to be fairly modern facilities, probably brought up to better standards by the Chinese no doubt.

Chinese soft power at work.

I have little problem with countries that share a good deal in common with us both politically and socially investing in our country, we do the same in theirs. However, China is a whole other ball game.

Comment

Working...
                              X