Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

China plans to provide 4.8 million charging points for electric vehicles by 2020

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• China plans to provide 4.8 million charging points for electric vehicles by 2020

https://www.ft.com/content/f9aece28-...a-d9c0a5c8d5c9

In comparison, U.S. and Germany will only have tens of thousands of such facilities.

Wow, that will make China very strong.

Comment

Investing in the technology of the 21st century is a good thing.

Comment

BYD builds sorry gasoline cars but their electric cars are a different story altogether. From what I understand they dominate the electric vehicle market in China and Warren Buffet is involved with them and plans to bring their electrics to the US soon. BYD electrics (and most all electrics) still don't have the long range US drivers want but for taxi/delivery use they could find their niche.

Comment

Originally posted by RobertKLR View Post
          BYD builds sorry gasoline cars but their electric cars are a different story altogether. From what I understand they dominate the electric vehicle market in China and Warren Buffet is involved with them and plans to bring their electrics to the US soon. BYD electrics (and most all electrics) still don't have the long range US drivers want but for taxi/delivery use they could find their niche.

BYD already builds electric buses in US: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M27Bu7WLCBY

At this one location, they employ 600 American workers. After expansion, hundreds more will be employed (going from making 300 buses a year to 1500 a year).

Comment

Anything that helps "us" not depended on middle east or use fossil fuel, I appreciate the move.
            Last edited by thounaojamtom; 11-12-2017, 10:48 PM.

Comment

Last time I was in China, there was a surprising number of Tesla's.

Call me skeptical, but i've also seen Chinese electrical infrastructure. Thats a very short amount of time to build the required infrastructure and new power plants.

Comment

I suppose they don't want to die by smog.

Comment

Originally posted by Kilgor View Post
                  Last time I was in China, there was a surprising number of Tesla's.

Call me skeptical, but i've also seen Chinese electrical infrastructure. Thats a very short amount of time to build the required infrastructure and new power plants.
                  Why so "surprising"? China is Tesla's second largest market, and is predicted to become its largest market.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...forecasts-jump

China, the world’s biggest carbon emitter, is poised to install a record amount of solar-power capacity this year, prompting researchers to boost forecasts as much as 80 percent.

About 54 gigawatts will be put in place this year, Bloomberg New Energy Finance said Monday, raising a forecast of more than 30 gigawatts made in July. That amount of additional capacity would likely surpass all the solar energy generated in Japan in 2017.
                  Last edited by pla; 12-12-2017, 12:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pla View Post

BYD already builds electric buses in US: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M27Bu7WLCBY

At this one location, they employ 600 American workers. After expansion, hundreds more will be employed (going from making 300 buses a year to 1500 a year).

How did the BYD busses fare in London? Is there any official review of their performance available?

I know that ev buses are tested in many European cities. Albeit in small numbers.

In Germany it is said that they are unreliable and there are issues with climatisation and moving parts like doors. 1 in 5 busses has an issue 9,5 out of 10 Diesel busses have no issues.

The range is lacking. And maintenance is also expensive.

The price is 750.000 for an all electric large bus (Gelenkbus?) while a Euro VI bus is only 350.000.

With the pysically moving engine and the resulting torque it is also easier to provide climatisation.

I am all for no emission vehicles, first in cities then everywhere. I also live in a city, it would improve air quality immense. But I see a big problem in producing billions of battery packs.

Active Electric Charging points in Europe:

https://www.goingelectric.de/stromtankstellen/

https://www.goingelectric.de/stromta...n/Deutschland/

Comment

Originally posted by picanha View Post

How did the BYD busses fare in London? Is there any official review of their performance available?

I know that ev buses are tested in many European cities. Albeit in small numbers.

In Germany it is said that they are unreliable and there are issues with climatisation and moving parts like doors. 1 in 5 busses has an issue 9,5 out of 10 Diesel busses have no issues.

The range is lacking. And maintenance is also expensive.

The price is 750.000 for an all electric large bus (Gelenkbus?) while a Euro VI bus is only 350.000.

With the pysically moving engine and the resulting torque it is also easier to provide climatisation.

I am all for no emission vehicles, first in cities then everywhere. I also live in a city, it would improve air quality immense. But I see a big problem in producing billions of battery packs.

Active Electric Charging points in Europe:

https://www.goingelectric.de/stromtankstellen/

https://www.goingelectric.de/stromta...n/Deutschland/
                      I am not judging BYD buses. It has already been "judged" in many bids throughout the world. It has won numerous bids in US, Germany, and Japan, all established auto makers. It is the number one selling electric bus in the world. Outside China, you can find BYD buses in 200 plus cities in 48 countries.

Let us be honest with ourselves. Based on your comments here, you are pretty biased when it comes to China.
                      Last edited by pla; 12-12-2017, 08:06 AM.

Comment

No it is, what I read, came out during trials. I am not only talking about BYD buses alone I just picked them BECAUSE of their popularity.

Could also apply to MAN ev buses I don't know. The numbers of ev buses in Germany is extremely low. Cologne with 8 is top

That is why I asked how they fare in London and how many have been re-ordered...just curious.

Comment

Originally posted by Alcaldemb View Post
                          Investing in the technology of the 21st century is a good thing.
                          I wished the elites would've left the markets to decide which technology it would be. Hydrogen propulsion is way more versatile, easier to supply and most importantly, doesn't produce a shitload of new environmental problems. Just examine the environmental record of a Tesla's batteries! You might as well use a semi to ship your kids to school every morn'. Environmentalism is the modern sale of indulgences.

Comment

Originally posted by Gumiman View Post
                            I suppose they don't want to die by smog.
                            Au contraire it will just move the smog from the cities to the suburbs/country where the power plants are. I don’t imagine most of that electricity will come from renewables. If anything it’ll drive up demand and increase the load on their fossil fuel plants. It’ll probably increase pollution if I was a betting man.

Comment

Originally posted by pla View Post

I didn't know they were already that committed to the market here.

Comment

Working...
                              X