Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

As Trump targets immigrants, U.S. farm sector looks to automate

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    Only thing i have to add is I remember when the price of gasoline got so high, seeing a small acreage farmer, who had the where with all to do so, plowing with mules, and
    can the automation be hacked?

    Comment


    • #62
      Originally posted by commanding View Post

      Sparty, I have been around the block a few times in the workplace. BTDT. all I am saying is that a machine, is just a tool. An expensive tool. My field was not complex, but the first machines to save time, cost around $10,000 per seat for the machine only. By time I retired in 2009, the software only for one machine , one "seat" cost around $6,000 and lasted maybe 2 years, with 100 employees.....do the math.

      and I worked with/on money saving "automation machines" from about 1991 to 2009 and was the head honcho in computers all of that time, or I would not be on this forum today.

      believe me when I say....I, me, myself, figured out how to maximize production in my field, using computers. And I did a damned good job of it. My techniques made millions of dollars, literally, for our company. we shortened production time, increased production, increased accuracy, and insured accurate and full archives.
      I will say that industrial automation has come a long, long way since the first PLC’s came online. You’d be amazed at the stuff you can do now compared to what you could do even 10 years ago.

      I’m on a plane right now headed up to New Jersey (yuck) to upgrade a Pepsi bottling line to modern equipment.

      Comment


      • #63
        Originally posted by Cowboy's daughter View Post
        Only thing i have to add is I remember when the price of gasoline got so high, seeing a small acreage farmer, who had the where with all to do so, plowing with mules, and
        can the automation be hacked?
        It can be hacked and it has. Farmers are hacking their own equipment to get around proprietary software problem$ so hacking farm equipment is becoming popular. Do a search using "hacking farm equipment".

        Comment


        • #64
          If true economic data was fed into these new share trading computers there would be no more panics less that is political shocks.

          Comment


          • #65
            Commanding - how long before these drive themselves - plug themselves in and ship things about at night in the US?
            The launch of the new vehicle was accompanied by a surprise - a fast new sports car.

            Comment


            • #66
              Originally posted by blackcatnursery View Post
              Commanding - how long before these drive themselves - plug themselves in and ship things about at night in the US?
              A long time. We’re decades away from no human involvement at all.

              Comment


              • #67
                Rise of the machines..........
                ‘It only becomes a commercial business when you can remove the vehicle operator from the equation,’ says ride-hailing firm battling Lyft and Waymo

                Comment


                • #68
                  Someday this will be a part of political campaigns. Probably when they take up more of the bump on jobs aswell. And Uber drivers fit that niche perfectly.
                  You already see in London banning Uber.
                  Maybe we can all camp out and plant robot subsidised trees or magnetic minefields.

                  Comment


                  • #69
                    Originally posted by primer View Post
                    Someday this will be a part of political campaigns. Probably when they take up more of the bump on jobs aswell. And Uber drivers fit that niche perfectly.
                    You already see in London banning Uber.
                    Maybe we can all camp out and plant robot subsidised trees or magnetic minefields.
                    Someday a robot will stand for election - now would you vote for them?

                    Comment


                    • #70
                      Originally posted by blackcatnursery View Post

                      Someday a robot will stand for election - now would you vote for them?
                      Is this a trick question? Lol

                      Comment


                      • #71
                        Originally posted by Spartan10k View Post

                        Is this a trick question? Lol
                        no not really - its an interesting question - if AI progresses at the pace it is presently at some stage a computers reasoning and decision making will be better than ours - if it is not already

                        Comment


                        • #72
                          Originally posted by primer View Post
                          ...
                          You already see in London banning Uber.
                          ....
                          Uber was banned to save jobs. More specifically the jobs at Transport for London involved in administering taxi driver licensing. In shocking (not) news, bureaucrats promote rule changes that save bureaucrats jobs.

                          Comment


                          • #73
                            Originally posted by TheKiwi View Post

                            Uber was banned to save jobs. More specifically the jobs at Transport for London involved in administering taxi driver licensing. In shocking (not) news, bureaucrats promote rule changes that save bureaucrats jobs.
                            do automated driverless vehicles count as taxis? they might need to sort out some new rules - Uber probably have the muscle and money to challenge Transport for London and 'sponsor' enough MP's to get their own way - its coming maybe not today or tomorrow but soon

                            Lets put it this way if I were uber I would be selling membership to an uber club where one of the benefits are free travel in the clubs vehicles?

                            Comment


                            • #74
                              Originally posted by blackcatnursery View Post

                              no not really - its an interesting question - if AI progresses at the pace it is presently at some stage a computers reasoning and decision making will be better than ours - if it is not already
                              Have you seen some of the AI bots released for online chats? They became human hating + racists. I wouldn't trust AI to ever be better than humans in terms of reasoning.

                              Comment


                              • #75
                                Originally posted by Kap View Post

                                Have you seen some of the AI bots released for online chats? They became human hating + racists. I wouldn't trust AI to ever be better than humans in terms of reasoning.
                                Sadly that was because of the people who they had to interact with - I am hopeful they will get better - just imagine "human hating + racist" self driving vehicles...

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X