Is it possible to define Racism?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by commanding View Post

Well, you and I rarely agree on anything Fargin but I think your definition of "race" what my original question was, is closer to how I see the word....in the COMMON USAGE as a difference in physical characteristics among groups of people (though not scientific as mordoror lectures on) is how I see most humans look at the word RACE. It has nothing to do with science, nor DNA nor nationality.....it is how people "look" to our human eyes. and possibly the "purpose" of this (as well as language, smell, etc) was to alert people to other humans who were not of their immediate "tribe"?

Taller people, shorter, eye folds, skin color, hair color, all might signal a different tribe who might be dangerous or beneficial.
    All what you say in the common usage is correct but too restrictive
    Culture, traditions are also huge factors. Somebody gave the Northern Ireland example. There are others.
    If it was based only on physical aspects, some blue eyed blonde haired german speaking jews (perfect little Aryans by the Nazi book) wouldn't have been exterminated during WWII

Comment

Originally posted by commanding View Post
      It has nothing to do with science, nor DNA nor nationality.....it is how people "look" to our human eyes. and possibly the "purpose" of this (as well as language, smell, etc) was to alert people to other humans who were not of their immediate "tribe"?

Taller people, shorter, eye folds, skin color, hair color, all might signal a different tribe who might be dangerous or beneficial.
      I see your point, and I think it's normal indeed, it's an instinct "they don't look like me or my people, how should I approach them ? Are they friends ? Foes ? Can we cooperate together or should we avoid each other ?" Questions as old as life. Animals do the same when confronted to the unknown.
      A black dog seeing a grey dog doesn't care about the color, but about the smell, attitude, size. Or even when it'd see a cat. Depending on the cat's reaction, it can end up seeing the cat as a weird kind of dog, but still a dog (I'm talking about cases where cats and dogs form friendships and interact with each other in friendly manners). If the other animal is posing a threat, he's simply categorized as "Threat" in itself.
      I think sentience made humans ask themselves a lot of questions, and sometimes, too many questions... leading to useless, dangerous, and irrelevant thought processes, looking too far into things and then leading to awkward situations...

The curse and blessing of sentience...

Comment

commanding Interesting question.

To me racism is the belief that someone is inherently inferior - not just different, but inferior - just because they come from a different ethnic, cultural or religious background. What is completely irrelevant to the racist is to which extent the inferior person actually fits the stereotype.

The best example I can come up with is my cousin. He was adopted from South America and he is completely black. An oddity in the place he grew up. He was born and raised in a standard Dutch family, a cultural Christian for all intents and purposes, "Dutch" in mindset as far as that is a thing etc.
        Before he came to the Netherlands he had to learn the language as a kid and he has suffered abuse back where he was born. To say the least he didn't start with a headstart in life.

Still he has faced a lot of racism in his life. People have judged him as inferior due to the color of his skin. People have questioned his intelligence (he has a college degree, just your regular guy in that sense) just because of the color of his skin.

For a racist it doesn't matter whether a black person believes in a superstitious native African faith and is only semi-literate OR whether this black person is succesful academically, professionally and considered a great asset in his community and family.

Both the right and the left can be racist. Whether it is by believing someone who looks differently must have an inferior culture or by believing someone is inferior and therefore needs to be interacted with in the most paternalistic way possible.

-

I do not believe racism has anything to do with the initial discomfort or surprise of seeing rather new but innocent things. The first time you see an elaborate death wail, the first time you see a really black person, the first time you see people eat warm food for lunch instead of dinner. It also has nothing to do with prefering certain traits that are more prominent in one nation than the other, like punctionality or something.

-

For a racist, a radical Imam from Saudi Arabia is just as inferior as a secular teenage girl from Tunisia, or even a child just born. They believe each and every single individual of the "others"is inherently inferior to them because of where they were born or who their parents were. Yes I do believe it is "racist" to hate all Muslims because by saying that you also hate someone who barely believes in the Quran and just feels part of the community because he likes festivities. Just as saying you hate all Christians is in my view racist. It is not racist however to hate certain tenets, though.

-

Someone who is concerned about (perceived) mass migration and cultural traits that are seen as incompatible with his or her own is not racist. A racist will even hate a person born in Tunisia, grown up in a European household and dedicated to the values of enlightenment just because "muh born in a Muslim country" "has olive tan".

I think it should be no surprise that in the modern era in Europe we find more racism among people who have enjoyed very little succes and/or luck in life. And the whole concept of racism is almost mutually inclusive with believing in ultrantionalist myths.

Comment

I love the TV ad for determining family ancestry based on DNA. The woman who thought she was Hispanic was actually everything but Hispanic. I've always thought identity politics based on race was bullshit.

Comment

To see the differences between humans is not racism, racism is to see differences and feel hate.

Comment

A more modern and culturally up-to-date definition of racism, though, would be: being white.

Which is NOT racist! Nowpe!

Prejudice + Power. And only white people have that.

Comment

Is the slogan "Africa for Africans" racist?

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Mokordo View Post
                    To see the differences between humans is not racism, racism is to see differences and feel hate.
                    Quite a good definition. You can always lump some people in an ethnic group and hate them because you consider them threatening, inferior, cunning, having bizarre ways...

Many nazis never considered the Jews as intellectually inferior for example.

Comment

Originally posted by PeacefulNeighbour View Post
                      Is the slogan "Africa for Africans" racist?
                      Considering that saying "France to the French" or "whatever country to whatever people" is, then I guess yes.

Comment

You guys are mixing racism and immigration: you can be non-racist and be against immigration. You could in the past have been a very pro-immigration racist slave merchant.

Comment

Originally posted by riderboy View Post
                          I love the TV ad for determining family ancestry based on DNA. The woman who thought she was Hispanic was actually everything but Hispanic. I've always thought identity politics based on race was bullshit.
                          The funniest part is when some white supremacists/skin heads were shown to not been pure strain (dont remember if in USA or UK). God the shitstorm it trigered on stormfront with some long time and influential members kicked out ... for mixed blood....
                          Last edited by Mordoror; 12-10-2017, 12:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ivan le Fou View Post

Considering that saying "France to the French" or "whatever country to whatever people" is, then I guess yes.

Trouble is that apparently some journalists, politicians and academics believe that only white people can be racist.

Comment

Originally posted by Telmar View Post
                              You guys are mixing racism and immigration: you can be non-racist and be against immigration.
                              Someone who says openly, that he's against immigration from Thirld World countries to Europe, will undoubtedly be lebeled racist.

Comment

Yes - 400,000 Rumanian's in the UK

Comment

Working...
                                X