X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ACLU challenges Americans captured in Syria

Of course they (ACLU) would....sigh.

https://www.airforcetimes.com/news/2...ured-in-syria/

WASHINGTON — The American Civil Liberties Union is challenging the detention of an American citizen who was picked up on the Syrian battlefield for allegedly fighting with Islamic State militants.

U.S. officials say the unidentified American surrendered to U.S.-backed Syrian Democratic Forces around Sept. 12, and has been detained in Iraq since then as an unlawful enemy combatant.

The ACLU on Thursday filed a petition in U.S. District Court in Washington, alleging that the American is being unlawfully detained by the U.S. military without charge, without access to counsel and without access to a court.

Why should US military give a crap if they are in posession of people that fought for ISIS. Syrian and Iraqi courts will give them far more just judgement than US courts would give. Same applies European nationals who fought for ISIS and other moderate rebels. They all should be turned for Iraqi and Syrian authorities.

Comment

Why would the ACLU give a crap about these guys?

They were "picked up" on the Syiran battlefield, but are being "unlawfully detained without charges".

Without charges? Really? So they were basically here, on a stroll, picking flowers, visiting the sites and getting in touch with their inner-self via deep meditation?

Giving a fair and humane treatment to those who willingly joined one of the most barbaric terrorist organization (but apparently the ACLU has never heard about the atrocities committed by ISIS: the public executions, the lynching of gays, the destruction of priceless Historical sites, the ethnic cleansing of a whole region, humane trafficking, and such...).

These terrorists have no rights.

Comment

I really like the French approach, methodical extermination in situ of this filth, wherever encountered. Unfortunately not many countries have that kind of spine

Comment

Originally posted by Fred333 View Post
          I really like the French approach, methodical extermination in situ of this filth, wherever encountered. Unfortunately not many countries have that kind of spine
          Pity UK government don't take the same approach

Comment

Originally posted by blackcatnursery View Post

Pity UK government don't take the same approach
            Yeah same for the Dutch, unfortunately all these guys coming back will probably be subjected to reintegration services and be allowed to radicalize the muslim communities

Comment

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...s-syria-630089

The U.S. military plans to release in Syria a Saudi-American dual citizen suspected of fighting for ISIS there, but he has refused to agree to the move, according to a new court filing.

The new plan to release the unidentified prisoner in an undisclosed town in Syria comes after U.S. courts blocked the Trump administration’s efforts to move the prisoner from Iraq, where he is currently in U.S. custody, to Saudi Arabia. The administration’s backup plan to turn the person over to Iraqi authorities was also rejected by the courts.

Comment

Originally posted by Ivan le Fou View Post
                Why would the ACLU give a crap about these guys?

They were "picked up" on the Syiran battlefield, but are being "unlawfully detained without charges".

Without charges? Really? So they were basically here, on a stroll, picking flowers, visiting the sites and getting in touch with their inner-self via deep meditation?

Giving a fair and humane treatment to those who willingly joined one of the most barbaric terrorist organization (but apparently the ACLU has never heard about the atrocities committed by ISIS: the public executions, the lynching of gays, the destruction of priceless Historical sites, the ethnic cleansing of a whole region, humane trafficking, and such...).

These terrorists have no rights.

Rule of law: bring him back and try for treason. Indefinite detention is not constitutional is it?

And yes fair treatment in detention no matter how detestable they are: no need to stoop to their level.

Comment

I'm with the ACLU on this. He's an American citizen.

Either you kill them before or right after detention or if you make the mistake of detaining them and acknowledging you've done that, you have to afford them due process.

This "detention in limbo" nonsense is not an acceptable middle ground.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan View Post
                    I'm with the ACLU on this. He's an American citizen.

Either you kill them before or right after detention or if you make the mistake of detaining them and acknowledging you've done that, you have to afford them due process.

". . . unidentified American surrendered to U.S.-backed Syrian Democratic Forces . . . . "

the detail is in the Syrian bit, its their country, their show, their rules. " . . . .the fact that he has U.S. citizenship does not automatically entitle him to home based standards in my opinion.

Comment

^^^ I agree with you, but I think he is now in the custody of the US forces (was handed over), so the ACLU petition kinda makes sense.

ACLU is a good organization, IMHO. They do end up "defending" a lot of scumbags, but I see it as being necessary considering their role (you stand up for the rights of a person, not for the person itself, as a way to defend the rights of all people).

That being said, I think the rules for handling combative civilians should be updated at an international level, or at least reviewed. We have too many of these asymmetrical conflicts to use rules made for WWI situations (I'm exaggerating!). Armed forces cannot detain someone at will and forever, but they cannot behave like a police force either. I have the impression that clarity in the rules (who counts as combative or not, handling of local and foreign non-state combative, etc.) would be welcomed by armed forces. But using civil law cannot be it (so Red Cross inquiries yes, ACLU inquiries no).

Comment

IMHO - Any U.S. "citizen" caught in a war zone fighting for a declared enemy of the U.S.A. needs to have his/her citizen revoked immediately.

Tried by military tribunal and if found guilty the death penalty applied, I see no reason for them to be engaged in acts of violence and when caught pull the Hey Guys I am an american card to get of with it, nor should the US Taxpayer have to fund a civil trial or stay in prison.

Comment

"Detained by the US military"?

That sounds like a stretch.

Comment

Originally posted by Ivan le Fou View Post
                            Without charges? Really? So they were basically here, on a stroll, picking flowers, visiting the sites and getting in touch with their inner-self via deep meditation
                            So charge him with one of the myriad of things he's actually done.

Originally posted by budgie View Post
                            Rule of law: bring him back and try for treason. Indefinite detention is not constitutional is it?
                            Originally posted by Jonathan View Post
                            x2. No problem with him being punished, just do it through the proper channels instead of some legal grey area with dubious oversight.

Originally posted by Connaught Ranger View Post
                            IMHO - Any U.S. "citizen" caught in a war zone fighting for a declared enemy of the U.S.A. needs to have his/her citizen revoked immediately.
                            That's great, but as far as I'm aware there's no realistic mechanism for that and with good reason.

Comment

I kinda agree with all you guys...

I would just like to hear a declaration stating clearly the laws and the procedures (like that all US citizens in a foreign war zone are under the jurisdiction of a military tribunal and not civil one; don't travel to a war zone, you have been warned!). Than we would not hear of the mixing of due process and civil liberties concepts.

And I would like to hear of an international agreement as coalitions happen more and more and you don't have just one nation's boots on the ground.

Comment

Working...
                              X