Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

US Navy ship fires warning shots at Iranian boats

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • US Navy ship fires warning shots at Iranian boats


    A US Navy ship fired warning shots at Iranian boats on Sunday near the Strait of Hormuz, two US Defense officials said Monday, citing initial reports. Five or six Iranian patrol crafts approached the USS Mahan near the strait at high rates of speed, the officials said. The Mahan, a destroyer, fired warning shots and used radio calls, flares, bells and whistles to signal the ships to stay away. There was no response to the radio calls.

    A US helicopter overhead dropped smoke grenades. The USS Makin Island, an amphibious assault ship, also was nearby. The US vessels were headed through the strait toward the Persian Gulf.
    http://edition.cnn.com/2017/01/09/po...warning-shots/

    or

    http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireS...boats-44649567


    P.S. Sorry, this thread should have been posted in News...

  • #2
    The usual iranian chestbeating. Lifting the sanctions, Boeing getting a nice contract didn't help. They keep dicking around with the US Navy. I doubt there will be a war, though.

    “With Iran, when they circle our beautiful destroyers with their little boats and they make gestures at our people that they shouldn’t be allowed to make, they will be shot out of the water,” Mr. Trump said at a rally in September.


    Comment


    • #3
      After Trump is in office the US should have a policy that any other nation ship within xxx yards of a US warship will be given one warning volley, and if they persist in approach they will be destroyed / sunk.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by commanding View Post
        After Trump is in office the US should have a policy that any other nation ship within xxx yards of a US warship will be given one warning volley, and if they persist in approach they will be destroyed / sunk.
        The issue is that Ships/Aircraft often (from different nations) push into 'sensitive' areas of other nations, sometimes it is still in international waters but arguably somewhat provocatively (Be they Russian Tu-95s, Spy Planes etc...), so whilst a approaching a vessel within its personal space is provocative, pushing military assets far from home and into the periphery of not entirely friendly nations is somewhat likewise..

        Personally I value the professionalism of restraint we see from most nations armed forces when it comes to such acts... At least whilst its in International Waters.
        IIRC you objected to how the Iranians treated US Sailors who ventured into Iranian Waters, should they instead have simply lit them up?

        I can understand somewhat especially in certain waters if crews overreact or behave violently to provocation (everyone has a level of fear that we struggle to contain) but with so many incidents, we still have so many people going home to their families on all sides and I like that

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by commanding View Post
          After Trump is in office the US should have a policy that any other nation ship within xxx yards of a US warship will be given one warning volley, and if they persist in approach they will be destroyed / sunk.
          Shooting bordelo ships that are here for the relief of your crews won't please your sailors you know ?
          Joke aside, i knew you less hawkish. Don't ask for something you don't really want

          Comment


          • #6
            Less captured sailors and ransoms paid.
            More glowing hot m61 CIWS guns and shark food.

            Comment


            • #7
              So you are saying that Iranians should have gunned down those American soldiers?

              Comment


              • #8
                The entire affair sounds to me like Iranian posturing. The US entering Iranian waters in the recent past was a navigation mistake (btw. the Iranians were quite restrained in regards of that incident, credit to them for that). Five or six Iranian boats heading at high speed towards US ships, while maintaining radio silence, it's a clear provocation.

                What should US do? Wait until they were rammed by some zealots before they consider the boats a threat? This scenario happened in the past so it's not just a theoretical risk.

                It's not like US Navy shoots warning shots at any ship approaching theirs. If it wasn't for the radio silence, or for the high speed, or for the large number of boats, I don't think the warning shots would have happened. Btw, the fact that they launched smoke grenades et al. means that the US ships were preparing for an attack (which means that firing warning shots was the US showing restrained rather than letting the high speed boats get to close, just to have an excuse to sink them).

                Also, the "US go home" ideas have no merit. US has legitimate interest in the area, together with their local partners. The irresponsible way the Iranians decide to react sometimes is the problem. In Europe, when Russia moves its ships and planes around, that is not the problem. The problem is when they do that in an aggressive manner (high speed & low passes, radio silence in busy areas, EM jamming, etc.) and when they purposely violate national controlled spaces of their neighbors. That is not how the US behaives in international and coastal waters.

                Why didn't the Iranians contacted the US ships? That's the first thing you do if you are worried about a foreign ship getting to close for comfort, not what they did.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Mordoror View Post

                  Shooting bordelo ships that are here for the relief of your crews won't please your sailors you know ?
                  Joke aside, i knew you less hawkish. Don't ask for something you don't really want
                  It's not like he has anything to lose, since it will be young guys putting their lives on the line for him.....

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by BogT View Post
                    The entire affair sounds to me like Iranian posturing. The US entering Iranian waters in the recent past was a navigation mistake (btw. the Iranians were quite restrained in regards of that incident, credit to them for that). Five or six Iranian boats heading at high speed towards US ships, while maintaining radio silence, it's a clear provocation.

                    What should US do? Wait until they were rammed by some zealots before they consider the boats a threat? This scenario happened in the past so it's not just a theoretical risk.

                    It's not like US Navy shoots warning shots at any ship approaching theirs. If it wasn't for the radio silence, or for the high speed, or for the large number of boats, I don't think the warning shots would have happened. Btw, the fact that they launched smoke grenades et al. means that the US ships were preparing for an attack (which means that firing warning shots was the US showing restrained rather than letting the high speed boats get to close, just to have an excuse to sink them).

                    Also, the "US go home" ideas have no merit. US has legitimate interest in the area, together with their local partners. The irresponsible way the Iranians decide to react sometimes is the problem. In Europe, when Russia moves its ships and planes around, that is not the problem. The problem is when they do that in an aggressive manner (high speed & low passes, radio silence in busy areas, EM jamming, etc.) and when they purposely violate national controlled spaces of their neighbors. That is not how the US behaives in international and coastal waters.

                    Why didn't the Iranians contacted the US ships? That's the first thing you do if you are worried about a foreign ship getting to close for comfort, not what they did.
                    Agreed. For the bold part Iranian command and control is not monolithic. I wouldn't be suprised if it was some IRGC hotheads playing chestbeating and sabrerattling and some other officials shaking their heads, thinking WTF !!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Was it a bunch of Iranians in their little speedboats as usual?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        A little speedboat could make in your ship a great hole...

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Aradan View Post

                          It's not like he has anything to lose, since it will be young guys putting their lives on the line for him.....
                          Isnt that with ALL Politicians? or does Vlad walk pointman himself in Donbass?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by CourageAboveAllValues View Post
                            Was it a bunch of Iranians in their little speedboats as usual?
                            A bunch of Iranians sporting Ray-Bans while cruising the Persian Gulf in their little speedboats. Once in a time they visit some US ships so that the US media can go into 'breaking news' modus and the hawks amongst us can beat the war drums.

                            A win-win situation for the IRGC.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Surenas View Post

                              A bunch of Iranians sporting Ray-Bans while cruising the Persian Gulf in their little speedboats. Once in a time they visit some US ships so that the US media can go into 'breaking news' modus and the hawks amongst us can beat the war drums.

                              A win-win situation for the IRGC.
                              Even the pacifistic CNN reports on the Iranian Revolutionary Guard unprofessionalism and dangerous encounters with US warships and aircraft, date 9 Jan 2017:

                              http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/09/politi...warning-shots/


                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X