• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Mexico Hunting Guide, Client Wounded in Border Ambush

New Mexico Hunting Guide, Client Wounded in Border Ambush
    Laura Bryant

1/8/2017

While guiding an aoudad hunt in Presidio county Texas, a New Mexico hunting guide was shot in the abdomen and seriously wounded Friday night after what appears to have been an attempt to kidnap his clients on the Mexico border.
    The guide remains in critical condition in a Texas Hospital. His client was also shot in the arm and is expected to recover.
    Multiple assailants fired upon an RV parked near a hunting lodge where the party were staying for the hunt. The contracted hunter and his wife were asleep in the in the RV when the attack began. Walker Daugherty 26 of Chloride NM was wounded while attempting to stop the assailants from taking the RV with his clients inside. He was assisted by another guide Michael Bryant; the men were staying inside the lodge with their wives.

https://plus.google.com/105428562764...uH8kE?sfc=true

more, including photos and a gofundme on link!

We need a fully fortified border down there, as well as aggressive enforcement of immigration law. I'm glad that the intended victims were armed and knew basic medical skills, otherwise things would have been worse than they already are. I hope that the guide recovers. His sister certainly had some guts.

Comment

Agree, & yes, she was gutsy.

Comment

The border is, unfortunately, dangerous.

Comment

Hope they recover alright.

Found a news story about this. According to them, the Sheriff's Office says that there is no evidence to support the allegations of a "cross-border violence".

http://www.cbs7.com/content/news/409992435.html

Comment

It says still under investigation, and the details of the shooting have not yet been released due to the open investigation, according to Chief Deputy Nunez.

So, they're just saying they have no EVIDENCE as of yet, that the persons who did it, crossed the border and came in from Mexico.

It's a big border.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Pr...4d-104.1001326

Comment

I think I read, maybe on facebook, that they were near Candelaria. You can see it on the map. I'll see if I can find it again. There used to be a little wooden footbridge there, and persons crossed back and forth all the time, but the Border Patrol demolished the little bridge.

Candeleria foot bridge photos

http://www.rimrockpress.com/blog/ind...y080528-125559

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy's daughter View Post
                they have no EVIDENCE as of yet, that the persons who did it, crossed the border and came in from Mexico.
                I know, that's what I said. Is there an echo in here?

Comment

ha ha, I guess so...

50 miles from Presido to Candelaria, 64 miles from Marfa to Candelaria. not much out there but rugged country

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy's daughter View Post
                    I think I read, maybe on facebook, that they were near Candelaria. You can see it on the map. I'll see if I can find it again. There used to be a little wooden footbridge there, and persons crossed back and forth all the time, but the Border Patrol demolished the little bridge.

Candeleria foot bridge photos

http://www.rimrockpress.com/blog/ind...y080528-125559
                    Candelaria ...

My FIL grew up in Candelaria, and I accompanied him on a visit in 2002. My wife's last living relative in Candelaria passed some years back. Her husband was the Presidio County Sheriff years and years ago.

I even crossed the river over a makeshift bridge constructed out of an old rusty truck frame, and spent some time in that little border Mexican town.

When driving down, we first stocked up on supplies in Marfa, and then drove an hour to Candelaria.

Once upon a time, Calendaria was the largest cotton milling city west of the Mississippi. The gins, or what was left of them, where still there.

Anyhow, Candelaria seemed to be on the verge of devolving into a ghost town. Spanish was the only language. Basically nothing was there. Well almost nothing ... someone built an airstrip on a small ridge, just overlooking the river. But then that person vanished, leaving behind the airstrip. Doesn't leave much to the imagination, I suppose.

No border control to speak of.

Driving back we helped a stranded couple from Colorado. Their vehicle broke down. They told us that they had been camping in Big Bend. My wife was awfully skeptical and suspicious that their story did not add up ... Oh well, good samaritans we were, and helped them on their way.

Comment

Wow, thank you GB_FXST for sharing!

Comment

Working...
                      X