Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Mysterious airplane" landed at abandoned airfield in Sweden, three men arrested

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Mysterious airplane" landed at abandoned airfield in Sweden, three men arrested

Sauce: http://sverigesradio.se/sida/artikel...rtikel=6498257
    http://www.sydsvenskan.se/2016-08-17...gplanstillslag

As seen in the photos it's obviously an Antonov An-2 with the registration LY-AUH which would put it in Lithuania. The history of the aircraft in question is rather peculiar - it's been in Sweden before for years, seemingly abandoned at the Västerås airport. Then sometime in 2012-2013 it was reactivated and showed up in Lvov, western Ukraine in 2014, only to then return to Sweden in 2015.

Ze records: Some digging reveals that LY-AUH had been flying for some parachuting club in Sweden before it was dumped in Västerås once its airworthiness certificate expired.

Who owns it now, when exactly it was re-activated and where exactly it came from this time before sneakily landing at this abandoned military airfield in southern Sweden (which hasn't seen any flying activity for many years) is currently unknown. Why the three (presumable) crewmembers were arrested is not known either, but the plane itself apparently under police "custody" now (covered in police tape etc).

Smugglers?
    Last edited by moosefoot; 17-08-2016, 10:52 AM.

Nah its obvious must be Russian spies they used Russian plane.

Comment

Originally posted by Asheren View Post
      Nah its obvious must be Russian spies they used Russian plane.
      Actually, this particular individual was built in Poland by PZL-Mielec in the 1980's.

Comment

Must have been used to smuggle Ettan snus to Finland.

Comment

Originally posted by moosefoot View Post
          Smugglers?
          Could be although that would be a quite high profile way of smuggling stuff to Sweden. If it is the case then the increased police activity at the bridge to Denmark is starting to create issues for the drug traffickers as it is the most used route. Doing it by plane sounds a bit desperate...

Comment

Originally posted by Moose View Post
            Could be although that would be a quite high profile way of smuggling stuff to Sweden.
            It happened earlier this year:

http://www.hd.se/2016-03-31/smugglad...rona-flygplats

A little Cessna 172 owned by a rather ordinary civilian club that had flown all the way down to Groningen, NL and back to southern Sweden with a lot of drugs. It does surprise me too, though, seems like an awfully complicated way of doing it.

And everything involving aviation surprises me even more - just like it surprised me that those spectacular Hollywood-esque robbers in Stockholm got hold of a helicopter (and willing pilot) back in 2009 to pull it off. Evidently, it occurs though.

edit: Also, if it is about smuggling (entirely unconfirmed as of yet) and if it came from some place in eastern Europe (also unconfirmed, but evidently it's registered in the Baltics and it's been in Ukraine recently) then tobacco and/or firearms would be the most likely cargo, not drugs.
            Last edited by moosefoot; 17-08-2016, 11:14 AM.

Comment

Actually, this particular individual was built in Poland by PZL-Mielec in the 1980's.
              Then probably just people who talked about Polish Death Camps.

Comment

Vodkaaaaaa.

Comment

It happened earlier this year
                  And as that and this case indicate its not a winning strategy. My bet, if it turns out to be smuggling, is the criminals are having a tougher time transporting stuff over the bridge from Denmark following the increase in police checks on that route to manage the migration flow. Could also be something completely different.

Comment

As seen in the photos it's obviously an Antonov An-2 with the registration LY-AUH which would put it in Lithuania. The history of the aircraft in question is rather peculiar - it's been in Sweden before for years, seemingly abandoned at the Västerås airport. Then sometime in 2012-2013 it was reactivated and showed up in Lvov, western Ukraine in 2014, only to then return to Sweden in 2015.
                    Being honest, that's not a particularly unusual history for an aircraft. I've seen business jets worth upwards of $20 million sit around unused for years at a time before suddenly coming back into service.

Comment

edit: Also, if it is about smuggling (entirely unconfirmed as of yet) and if it came from some place in eastern Europe (also unconfirmed, but evidently it's registered in the Baltics and it's been in Ukraine recently) then tobacco and/or firearms would be the most likely cargo, not drugs.
                      Uh-huh, this just in. Suspected cigarette smuggling:
                      http://www.expressen.se/kvallsposten...rettsmuggling/

Apparently one of the arrested men is a 63-year old Polish citizen previously convicted in Sweden for attempting to smuggle 400,000 cigarettes by sailboat. Haha.

Comment

Originally posted by gaz View Post

Being honest, that's not a particularly unusual history for an aircraft. I've seen business jets worth upwards of $20 million sit around unused for years at a time before suddenly coming back into service.
                        No, I get that. It's just that this isn't exactly a $20m business jet and once it was reactivated it apparently took up shuttle traffic between Sweden and Ukraine, which looks strange.

I discovered that it had been in Ukraine in 2016 as well, in June (here), so that means it went Ukraine-Sweden-Ukraine-Sweden in the past year only. And that's just the activity confirmed by occasional planespotters, who knows what the full picture's like.

Last edited by moosefoot; 18-08-2016, 08:01 AM.

Comment

The Kristianstad District Court that is handling the case has the names of the three suspects. One Pole, one half-Pole (it seems, Polish first name but Swedish last name) and one Swede, by the looks of it.

How many hryvnias is a carton of cigarettes in Ukraine?

Comment

Uh-huh, this just in. Suspected cigarette smuggling:
                            http://www.expressen.se/kvallsposten...rettsmuggling/

Apparently one of the arrested men is a 63-year old Polish citizen previously convicted in Sweden for attempting to smuggle 400,000 cigarettes by sailboat. Haha.
                            I know there is a polish joke in there somewhere

The Kristianstad District Court that is handling the case has the names of the three suspects. One Pole, one half-Pole (it seems, Polish first name but Swedish last name) and one Swede, by the looks of it.
                            Ok, we are getting somewhere.
                            A pole, a semi-pole and a Swede walked into a bar...

Comment

Originally posted by Sniffit View Post

I know there is a polish joke in there somewhere

Ok, we are getting somewhere.
                              A pole, a semi-pole and a Swede walked into a bar...
                              I'm not a big fan of cracking jokes about ethnicities and so on, but I will acknowledge I thought it was funny that our favorite Pole on the forum cracked a Russian spy joke before all the facts were in (Polish-built plane, Polish crew).

Anyway, I just read this:
                              http://www.nsk.se/2016/08/18/fortsat...-hallas-i-dag/

In the beginning of April 2015 an Antonov An-2 loaded with thousands of cigarette packages crashed as it had passed the border between Belarus and Ukraine.
                              In March 2016, Ukrainian police raided another An-2 that was in the process of being loaded up with cigarettes. That time Poland was cited as being the intended destination.
                              So it's apparently not new.

Comment

Working...
                              X