Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suez: The Forgotten Invasion by Robert Jackson - First published in 1996.

It's not a thick book, 136 pages in total. And about half is devoted to the political machinations around organising the invasion. The rest is about how the Israeli, French and British units carried it out and the aftermath/repercussions.

Apart from that, the above mentioned Small Wars in Far Away Places devotes a chapter to Suez which was very entertaining.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheKiwi View Post
      Suez: The Forgotten Invasion by Robert Jackson - First published in 1996.

It's not a thick book, 136 pages in total. And about half is devoted to the political machinations around organising the invasion. The rest is about how the Israeli, French and British units carried it out and the aftermath/repercussions.

Apart from that, the above mentioned Small Wars in Far Away Places devotes a chapter to Suez which was very entertaining.
      Cheers Kiwi! I'm looking into it as we speak.

Comment

• Congo: The Epic History of a People - David Van Reybrouck

1/4 of the way though - very readable, hard to put down and perceptive - written by a Belgian historian whose travelled to the Congo many times and got to know the locals.

Highly recommended.

For the Aussie people on the forum, Paul Ham's Passchendaele just arrived in the post - can't wait to read it.

Comment

• I'm rereading The Junior Officers Reading Club by Patrick Hennesey. It's another one of these "I went to somewhere sandy and got shot at" memoirs, but this one is written by a guy who studied English at Oxford so he can actually construct a sentence. It covers his time at Sandhurst, which is a nice insight, along with combat tours of Afghanistan and Iraq. Some rather excellent scenes, including a big song and dance being made about the first black officer in the regiment, someone offering him a cigarette while blazing away from the hip in a firefight and trying to form a book club to stave off the endless boredom when not being shot at. I'd definitely recommend it.

Comment

• http://www.memoriesofadifferentworld.uk/

My parents got me a signed copy of this for Christmas, I'm excited to read it.

Comment

• 3 books arrived yesterday...

October Fury by Peter Huchthausen - about the deployment of Soviet submarines during the Cuban Missile Crisis (and the recent revelation they were armed with nuclear torpedos). 2 chapters in, well researched and very readable - reads more like a story - recommended if you like that sort of thing.

EDIT - Huchthausen was an officer aboard one of the US destroyers that brought a Foxtrot SSK to the surface. With a few pages to go, it's an excellent read.

Gangs of New York - Herbert Asbury - the book that inspired the great movie - can't wait to read it!

Shadow Cold War, the Sino-Soviet Competition for the Third Word - Jeremy Friedman - looks meaty and detailed.

Cheers!
              Last edited by Chauncey; 17-01-2017, 12:10 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X