Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Military & History Books - reviews

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • "Red Platoon"

    by SFC Clinton Romesha, Medal of Honor Recipient
    • Hardcover: 400 pages
    • Publisher: Dutton; First Edition first Printing edition (May 3, 2016)
    • Language: English
    • ISBN-10: 0525955054
    • ISBN-13: 978-0525955054
    Story of Romesha's company at COP Keating when it was attacked by some 300-500 Taliban on October 3rd, 2009.

    While the COP was being prepared to be abandoned (though most of the men did not know this) higher had realized the outpost was indefensible and surrounded by high ground.

    The Company Commander away at another base. The 3rd Platoon at the OP base about 3000 ft above them the Taliban had for weeks done their intel during probing attacks.


    the set piece attack had laid in sniper teams and machineguns on specific targets inside the COP.

    As usual the Afghan Army fled some being gunned down as soon as they had run into Taliban, Some Afghan Security guards apparently in one incident changed sides and 2 Latvian NonComs assigned to train the Afghans joined the Americans in a desperate defence worthy of Rorkes Drift


    The book starts off with his growing up and first tours in Iraq as a Tank Crewman and then on return to Fort Carson the unit reflags as a cavalry Scout unit. and has to rebuild to a cohesive unit from scratch (Literally Romesha and one other enlisted man are left) it then introduces the members of his platoon before going back into the battle

    He gives enormous credit to the Rotary and fixed wing crews who supported them in a wild battle of survival


    I picked up a copy at work to peruse and wound up reading the entire book over last sat-sun it was that engrossing.
    Last edited by Linedoggie; 06-06-2017, 07:54 AM. Reason: spelling corrections

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Linedoggie View Post
      While the COP was being prepared to be abandoned (thought most of the men did not know this) higher had realized the outpost was indefensible and surrounded by high ground.
      Sounds like Dien Bien Phu

      Comment


      • Currently reading/listening to:
        1. "The Accidental Guerilla" by David Kilcullen (2009): A case study about the war on terrorism and how it came about. Pretty interesting, i bought it in 2009/2010 started reading it 3 or 4 times but never really got into it. Now i'm really digging it because it's a look into recent past which now makes more sense (at least for me) than before.
        2. "Der große Krieg" by Herfried Münkler (2014): A huge book with 928 pages in total, which covers almost every aspect of WWI. I don't know if there is an english Version but it's sure worth a read, although Mr. Münkler has a sometimes very strange way of telling a story and i think he sometimes imposes to much information upon the reader. My goal is to finish it until 2018.
        3. "The Hunter Killers [...]" by Dan Hampton(2016/Audiobook): The story about the first "Wild Weasel" missions in Vietnam and similar missions in WW2, told by an actual F-16CJ "Wild Weasel" aviator. It's a bit corny sometimes but other than that, it's nice to listen to and very informative. It's read by John Pruden.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Corrupt View Post

          Sounds like Dien Bien Phu
          Google Cop Keating and it does indeed look like a DBP type goatscrew, the first image I saw I said to myself this is f-ed

          Comment


          • "The Exile – The Flight Of Osama bin Laden" by Adrian Levy and Catherine Scott-Clark (2017): The book highlights the events prior and after 9/11 from the Taliban/AQ perspective but also from the perspective of the CIA and ISI and other government agencies in the US, Iran and Pakistan.
            300 pages in it is still very gripping to read about Osama and his gang of thugs fleeing from country to country or being tortured in captivity. The book is based on humint/single source intelligence and various other reports that came afloat over the years, so i guess that some accounts are a bit exaggerated (exaggeration and blowing things out of proportion is a cultural thing in the ME) but it's, like i already stated, very gripping nonetheless
            It also sheds some light on the situation between AQAP and IS (in Iraq) and the personal situation between OBL and Zarqawi.
            A solid read up until now, mainly because it is very well written and very structured. The only thing that is confusing sometimes is the whole "nome de guerre" or "kunya" stuff with almost everybody naming himself "Abu Something al Something". Use simple names like Bill or George ffs!

            Comment






            • Pub Date: October 2014
              ISBN: 9783838206844
              670 Pages
              Format: Paperback
              List Price: $45.00

              Pub Date: October 2014
              ISBN: 9783838206868
              670 Pages
              Format: Hardcover
              List Price: $122.00

              Pub Date: October 2014
              ISBN: 9783838266848
              670 Pages
              Format: E-book
              List Price: $36.99





              Stepan Bandera: The Life and Afterlife of a Ukrainian Nationalist

              Fascism, Genocide, and Cult
              Grzegorz Rossoliński-Liebe
              ibidem Press


              https://cup.columbia.edu/book/stepan.../9783838206844
              The Life and Afterlife of a Ukrainian Nationalist is the first comprehensive and scholarly biography of the Ukrainian far-right leader Stepan Bandera and the first in-depth study of his political cult. In this fascinating book, Grzegorz Rossolinski-Liebe illuminates the life of a mythologized personality and scrutinizes the history of the most violent twentieth-century Ukrainian nationalist movement: the Organization of Ukrainian Nationalists and its Ukrainian Insurgent Army.

              Elucidating the circumstances in which Bandera and his movement emerged and functioned, Rossolinski-Liebe explains how fascism and racism impacted on Ukrainian revolutionary and genocidal nationalism. The book shows why Bandera and his followers failed—despite their ideological similarity to the Croatian Ustaša and the Slovak Hlinka Party—to establish a collaborationist state under the auspices of Nazi Germany and examines the involvement of the Ukrainian nationalists in the Holocaust and other atrocities during and after the Second World War. The author brings to light some of the darkest elements of modern Ukrainian history and demonstrates its complexity, paying special attention to the Soviet terror in Ukraine and the entanglement between Ukrainian, Jewish, Polish, Russian, German, and Soviet history. The monograph also charts the creation and growth of the Bandera cult before the Second World War, its vivid revivals during the Cold War among the Ukrainian diaspora, and in Bandera's native eastern Galicia after the dissolution of the Soviet Union.

              About the Author

              Grzegorz Rossolinski-Liebe is a Postdoctoral Fellow at the Friedrich-Meinecke-Institut of the Free University of Berlin.

              H net online review

              http://www.h-net.org/reviews/showrev.php?id=44096
              Last edited by Cowboy's daughter; 27-07-2017, 09:54 AM.

              Comment




              • A history of the Russo-Japanese war of 1905/06. Battles both on land and at sea are giving a good working over as is the actions of the two powers that lead to war in the first place.

                A very good read, it covers things from both sides of the conflict as well as the manner in which the other great powers interposed themselves during the peace negotiations.

                The big thing for me is just how different the Japanese army of 1905 is from the one of the 1930's. This is an army that carefully planned its logistics, that carried out reconnaissance and an army that was more than capable of modifying its plans if things went wrong or the unexpected cropped up. An army that rewarded initiative and punished the unimaginative - one of the generals sent home for that very reason was the father of General Hideki Tojo who was to show much the same failings 30 years later.

                It was also an army that treated its prisoners properly and one that paid its Chinese and Korean coolies well. In short, an army that was in nearly every respect except size a superior one to that fielded in the 1930's.

                Comment


                • The Lions of Iwo Jima: The Story of Combat Team 28 and the Bloodiest Battle in Marine Corps History
                  by Fred Haynes, James A. Warren

                  Major General Fred Haynes USMC (Ret'd), then a Captain with Regimental Combat Team 28 (CT 28) and James A. Warren provide a battlefield account of the Iwo Jima invasion and following campaign through the eyes of CT 28 Haynes provides unique insight due to his involvement with the planning of the battle, first hand accounts, and association with so many of those involved.

                  The book starts with several chapters focused on planning for the invasion by the Marines and defense planning by the Japanese. The majority of the content that follows is focused on CT 28's taking of Suribachi and the subsequent offensives across the island for several grueling weeks. Particular focus is placed on the Battle for Hill 362A, Nishi Ridge, and the final offensive to Kitano Point.

                  Analysis focuses on: The positive effects of the historic photos depicting the raising of the flag of Suribachi; The islands role as an emergency landing base for B-29s returning from mainland raids once secured by the Marines; the battle's overall positive effects on the Marine's national espirit d'corps; and various components that contributed towards the brutality of the battle in an already brutal Pacific Theater.

                  This was a very enjoyable and gripping read of a fascinating battle in the Pacific War. Nothing in the pages is earth-shattering or unique per se, but the insight and focus on CT 28's actions stands out. Not light reading as the authors are rather blunt with their depictions of the battle field horrors. The narrative content is drawn entirely from the accounts of combatants on both sides and does not portray as sensationalist. That said, once I reached the final pages with the Marines at Kitano Point after so many countless engagements, I was thankful the book and battle were over. There is no way to completely capture the bravery, training, professionalism, courage, and so much more found in the Marines in this book but Haynes and Warren do a hell of a job.

                  Final Verdict:

                  7 outta 10 Devil Horns

                  https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...s-of-iwo-jima?

                  https://www.amazon.com/Lions-Iwo-Jim...dp/0805090177/

                  Also looking for any good WWII Pacific Theater recommendations if anyone can oblige.
                  Last edited by Devil Child; 30-01-2018, 05:03 PM.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Devil Child View Post
                    The Lions of Iwo Jima: The Story of Combat Team 28 and the Bloodiest Battle in Marine Corps History
                    by Fred Haynes, James A. Warren

                    Major General Fred Haynes USMC (Ret'd), then a Captain with Regimental Combat Team 28 (CT 28) and James A. Warren provide a battlefield account of the Iwo Jima invasion and following campaign through the eyes of CT 28 Haynes provides unique insight due to his involvement with the planning of the battle, first hand accounts, and association with so many of those involved.

                    The book starts with several chapters focused on planning for the invasion by the Marines and defense planning by the Japanese. The majority of the content that follows is focused on CT 28's taking of Suribachi and the subsequent offensives across the island for several grueling weeks. Particular focus is placed on the Battle for Hill 362A, Nishi Ridge, and the final offensive to Kitano Point.

                    Analysis focuses on: The positive effects of the historic photos depicting the raising of the flag of Suribachi; The islands role as an emergency landing base for B-29s returning from mainland raids once secured by the Marines; the battle's overall positive effects on the Marine's national espirit d'corps; and various components that contributed towards the brutality of the battle in an already brutal Pacific Theater.

                    This was a very enjoyable and gripping read of a fascinating battle in the Pacific War. Nothing in the pages is earth-shattering or unique per se, but the insight and focus on CT 28's actions stands out. Not light reading as the authors are rather blunt with their depictions of the battle field horrors. The narrative content is drawn entirely from the accounts of combatants on both sides and does not portray as sensationalist. That said, once I reached the final pages with the Marines at Kitano Point after so many countless engagements, I was thankful the book and battle were over. There is no way to completely capture the bravery, training, professionalism, courage, and so much more found in the Marines in this book but Haynes and Warren do a hell of a job.

                    Final Verdict:

                    7 outta 10 Devil Horns

                    https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...s-of-iwo-jima?

                    https://www.amazon.com/Lions-Iwo-Jim...dp/0805090177/

                    Also looking for any good WWII Pacific Theater recommendations if anyone can oblige.
                    Devil Child you dufuss, I sent you a PM.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Devil Child View Post

                      Also looking for any good WWII Pacific Theater recommendations if anyone can oblige.
                      Are you set on American stories, I have a few very good Australian books on the topic?

                      Blood on Borneo by Jack Wong Sue.
                      Fear drive my Feet, by Peter Ryan MM (Who was an absolute champion just quietly).
                      The Glass Cannon, by Peter Pinney.
                      The Barbarians, by Peter Pinney.
                      The Devil’s Garden, by Peter Pinney.
                      We band of brothers, by Peter Brune (The Ralph Honner biography).

                      There is also a very good Kiwi book on Charles Upham VC and Bar, however he fought in North Africa, not the Pacific, but worth a read, Mark of the Lion, by Kenneth Sandford.


                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by digrar View Post

                        Are you set on American stories, I have a few very good Australian books on the topic?

                        Blood on Borneo by Jack Wong Sue.
                        Fear drive my Feet, by Peter Ryan MM (Who was an absolute champion just quietly).
                        The Glass Cannon, by Peter Pinney.
                        The Barbarians, by Peter Pinney.
                        The Devil’s Garden, by Peter Pinney.
                        We band of brothers, by Peter Brune (The Ralph Honner biography).

                        There is also a very good Kiwi book on Charles Upham VC and Bar, however he fought in North Africa, not the Pacific, but worth a read, Mark of the Lion, by Kenneth Sandford.

                        Thanks for the list! I am very open to any of the participants stories and histories regardless of country origin. commanding has already set me back a couple bucks with his recommendation so I'll add to the stack soon after researching the titles you provided.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by digrar View Post

                          Are you set on American stories, I have a few very good Australian books on the topic?

                          Blood on Borneo by Jack Wong Sue.
                          Fear drive my Feet, by Peter Ryan MM (Who was an absolute champion just quietly).
                          The Glass Cannon, by Peter Pinney.
                          The Barbarians, by Peter Pinney.
                          The Devil’s Garden, by Peter Pinney.
                          We band of brothers, by Peter Brune (The Ralph Honner biography).

                          There is also a very good Kiwi book on Charles Upham VC and Bar, however he fought in North Africa, not the Pacific, but worth a read, Mark of the Lion, by Kenneth Sandford.

                          digrar knows his books!

                          Fear drive my feet is an excellent book.

                          Brune is a good writer, so We band of brothers is going on my list.

                          A bastard of a place by Brune is one of my favourite reads.

                          If you are interested in RAAF history, books like Flight of the Beauforts is available on the RAAF airpower (i think its that) site for free. I have a hard copy which my grandfather left me. Great read.

                          I corresponded with the guy who runs The Last Coastwatcher site, turns out hsi brother servied with 100 Squadron Beauforts and didn't survive the war. https://thelastcoastwatcher.wordpress.com/

                          There is a early book on the coastwaters i read about 15 years back, ill go to the local libarary and find it. I remember it distinctly as a) i had never really heard of them before and b) it had hand written notes in correcting locations and names.

                          Devil Child also 1/14th of an elephant (POWs on Burma Thai railway) is a good read, or try Hellfire (POW again) by Forbes or Tobruk by Fitzimmons. Or what the heck, get The War Diaries of Weary Dunlop written by the great man himself, Colonel Sir Ernest Edward "Weary" Dunlop, AC, CMG, OBE

                          Comment


                          • Having finished an excellent book on WW2 infantry tactics of the UK/US/Germany, has anyone got any suggestions for a similar tome for armoured forces and armoured/infantry cooperation?

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Corrupt View Post
                              Having finished an excellent book on WW2 infantry tactics of the UK/US/Germany, has anyone got any suggestions for a similar tome for armoured forces and armoured/infantry cooperation?
                              „Achtung - Panzer!“ by Guderian?

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Hansinator View Post
                                Achtung - Panzer!“ by Guderian?
                                I've read Guderian, he was very informative, but I was thinking of a postwar analysis of the doctrines employed by the various powers.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X