X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Red Platoon"

by SFC Clinton Romesha, Medal of Honor Recipient
    • Hardcover: 400 pages
    • Publisher: Dutton; First Edition first Printing edition (May 3, 2016)
    • Language: English
    • ISBN-10: 0525955054
    • ISBN-13: 978-0525955054
    Story of Romesha's company at COP Keating when it was attacked by some 300-500 Taliban on October 3rd, 2009.

While the COP was being prepared to be abandoned (though most of the men did not know this) higher had realized the outpost was indefensible and surrounded by high ground.

The Company Commander away at another base. The 3rd Platoon at the OP base about 3000 ft above them the Taliban had for weeks done their intel during probing attacks.

the set piece attack had laid in sniper teams and machineguns on specific targets inside the COP.

As usual the Afghan Army fled some being gunned down as soon as they had run into Taliban, Some Afghan Security guards apparently in one incident changed sides and 2 Latvian NonComs assigned to train the Afghans joined the Americans in a desperate defence worthy of Rorkes Drift

The book starts off with his growing up and first tours in Iraq as a Tank Crewman and then on return to Fort Carson the unit reflags as a cavalry Scout unit. and has to rebuild to a cohesive unit from scratch (Literally Romesha and one other enlisted man are left) it then introduces the members of his platoon before going back into the battle

He gives enormous credit to the Rotary and fixed wing crews who supported them in a wild battle of survival

I picked up a copy at work to peruse and wound up reading the entire book over last sat-sun it was that engrossing.
    Last edited by Linedoggie; 06-06-2017, 07:54 AM. Reason: spelling corrections

Comment

• Originally posted by Linedoggie View Post
      While the COP was being prepared to be abandoned (thought most of the men did not know this) higher had realized the outpost was indefensible and surrounded by high ground.
      Sounds like Dien Bien Phu

Comment

• Currently reading/listening to:
        1. "The Accidental Guerilla" by David Kilcullen (2009): A case study about the war on terrorism and how it came about. Pretty interesting, i bought it in 2009/2010 started reading it 3 or 4 times but never really got into it. Now i'm really digging it because it's a look into recent past which now makes more sense (at least for me) than before.
        2. "Der große Krieg" by Herfried Münkler (2014): A huge book with 928 pages in total, which covers almost every aspect of WWI. I don't know if there is an english Version but it's sure worth a read, although Mr. Münkler has a sometimes very strange way of telling a story and i think he sometimes imposes to much information upon the reader. My goal is to finish it until 2018.
        3. "The Hunter Killers [...]" by Dan Hampton(2016/Audiobook): The story about the first "Wild Weasel" missions in Vietnam and similar missions in WW2, told by an actual F-16CJ "Wild Weasel" aviator. It's a bit corny sometimes but other than that, it's nice to listen to and very informative. It's read by John Pruden.

Comment

• Originally posted by Corrupt View Post

Sounds like Dien Bien Phu
          Google Cop Keating and it does indeed look like a DBP type goatscrew, the first image I saw I said to myself this is f-ed

Comment

• "The Exile – The Flight Of Osama bin Laden" by Adrian Levy and Catherine Scott-Clark (2017): The book highlights the events prior and after 9/11 from the Taliban/AQ perspective but also from the perspective of the CIA and ISI and other government agencies in the US, Iran and Pakistan.
            300 pages in it is still very gripping to read about Osama and his gang of thugs fleeing from country to country or being tortured in captivity. The book is based on humint/single source intelligence and various other reports that came afloat over the years, so i guess that some accounts are a bit exaggerated (exaggeration and blowing things out of proportion is a cultural thing in the ME) but it's, like i already stated, very gripping nonetheless
            It also sheds some light on the situation between AQAP and IS (in Iraq) and the personal situation between OBL and Zarqawi.
            A solid read up until now, mainly because it is very well written and very structured. The only thing that is confusing sometimes is the whole "nome de guerre" or "kunya" stuff with almost everybody naming himself "Abu Something al Something". Use simple names like Bill or George ffs!

Comment

• Pub Date: October 2014
              ISBN: 9783838206844
              670 Pages
              Format: Paperback
              List Price: $45.00

Pub Date: October 2014
              ISBN: 9783838206868
              670 Pages
              Format: Hardcover
              List Price: $122.00

Pub Date: October 2014
              ISBN: 9783838266848
              670 Pages
              Format: E-book
              List Price: $36.99

Stepan Bandera: The Life and Afterlife of a Ukrainian Nationalist

Fascism, Genocide, and Cult
              Grzegorz Rossoliński-Liebe
              ibidem Press

https://cup.columbia.edu/book/stepan.../9783838206844
              The Life and Afterlife of a Ukrainian Nationalist is the first comprehensive and scholarly biography of the Ukrainian far-right leader Stepan Bandera and the first in-depth study of his political cult. In this fascinating book, Grzegorz Rossolinski-Liebe illuminates the life of a mythologized personality and scrutinizes the history of the most violent twentieth-century Ukrainian nationalist movement: the Organization of Ukrainian Nationalists and its Ukrainian Insurgent Army.

Elucidating the circumstances in which Bandera and his movement emerged and functioned, Rossolinski-Liebe explains how fascism and racism impacted on Ukrainian revolutionary and genocidal nationalism. The book shows why Bandera and his followers failed—despite their ideological similarity to the Croatian Ustaša and the Slovak Hlinka Party—to establish a collaborationist state under the auspices of Nazi Germany and examines the involvement of the Ukrainian nationalists in the Holocaust and other atrocities during and after the Second World War. The author brings to light some of the darkest elements of modern Ukrainian history and demonstrates its complexity, paying special attention to the Soviet terror in Ukraine and the entanglement between Ukrainian, Jewish, Polish, Russian, German, and Soviet history. The monograph also charts the creation and growth of the Bandera cult before the Second World War, its vivid revivals during the Cold War among the Ukrainian diaspora, and in Bandera's native eastern Galicia after the dissolution of the Soviet Union.

About the Author

Grzegorz Rossolinski-Liebe is a Postdoctoral Fellow at the Friedrich-Meinecke-Institut of the Free University of Berlin.

H net online review

http://www.h-net.org/reviews/showrev.php?id=44096
              Last edited by Cowboy's daughter; 27-07-2017, 09:54 AM.

Comment

• A history of the Russo-Japanese war of 1905/06. Battles both on land and at sea are giving a good working over as is the actions of the two powers that lead to war in the first place.

A very good read, it covers things from both sides of the conflict as well as the manner in which the other great powers interposed themselves during the peace negotiations.

The big thing for me is just how different the Japanese army of 1905 is from the one of the 1930's. This is an army that carefully planned its logistics, that carried out reconnaissance and an army that was more than capable of modifying its plans if things went wrong or the unexpected cropped up. An army that rewarded initiative and punished the unimaginative - one of the generals sent home for that very reason was the father of General Hideki Tojo who was to show much the same failings 30 years later.

It was also an army that treated its prisoners properly and one that paid its Chinese and Korean coolies well. In short, an army that was in nearly every respect except size a superior one to that fielded in the 1930's.

Comment

Working...
                X