Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WW1 footage transformed into colour (really worth a view)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WW1 footage transformed into colour (really worth a view)

a quality restoration - bearing in mind a lot of the footage was hand cranked
    Silent film footage from World War One is painstakingly restored by Lord of the Rings director Peter Jackson.

Watched this yesterday. It looks great, I'm hoping it'll cross the pond to us in the U.S.

I like that Jackson hired lip-readers and voice-over actors to bring sound to these otherwise silent films.

Comment

Nice job Sir Peter! The colour really does make a difference.

Also, I'd be mighty pissed if one of my comrades pointed his pistol to my face like in that bit of the clip.

Comment

Its odd how with tech you know they make advances and it was expected that this would inevitably be done but now its happened its still bloody mind blowing.

Comment

That is Superb, just being able to slow it to a normal persons movements makes it more personal. Then focusing and colorizing. I would swear the lewis gunner was a modern day actor

Comment

Originally posted by Linedoggie View Post
            That is Superb, just being able to slow it to a normal persons movements makes it more personal. Then focusing and colorizing. I would swear the lewis gunner was a modern day actor
            I told you it was worth seeing - it looks too good

My neighbour was having a throw out the other day and I am now the proud owner of a WW1 brass shell case, looks just a bit smaller than an 18pdr - he was going to throw it in a skip..........

Comment

Originally posted by blackcatnursery View Post
              a quality restoration - bearing in mind a lot of the footage was hand cranked
              Thank god he's doing something productive with his time instead of another Hobbit movie.

Comment

Originally posted by Nemowork View Post

Thank god he's doing something productive with his time instead of another Hobbit movie.
                at least he has used his money and the technology available to do something that a lot of us really appreciate. Its good to see him doing something that is not that high profile but I think is incredibly important

Comment

I'm not going to disagree but its interesting to see the limitations of whatever system he's using and how little its developed since colourisation started.

Theres obviously a set colour palette so every uniform in the same scene gets coloured the same shade of olive/khaki.

Every face gets coloured the same generic fleshtone over whatever shading was already there.

Plus theyre trying to recreate what they think ought to be there so its an interpretation of history not a strict realism.

Comment

Very impressive, all in all. Must have taken ages, especially the sound FX... Really breathes life into it all. Will make sure to catch this whenever I can.

And yeah, of course everything is just an approximation/educated guess of what it might have looked (in color) and sounded like, but the effort is still totally worth it for that added dimension of "immersiveness". Mute B/W reels are just so detached from the audiovisual recording technology we've had now for some 70 years (which has continuously improved since the advent of sound and color, too, up to this 8K high dynamic range stuff we have today), and as a result it becomes harder and harder for people to relate to.

Even such a simple addition as some basic color and made-up sound effects (which they are) makes it feel way more "real", and since the source material and the events they portray indeed are real, enhancing that perception is valuable IMO.

Comment

at least he has used his money and the technology available to do something that a lot of us really appreciate. Its good to see him doing something that is not that high profile but I think is incredibly important
                      I was surprised, when I've seen this summer very high quality replica uniforms of British and Scottish WWI infantry soldiers which
                      Peter Jackson donated to Russian Great War museum in Pushkin, near Saint Petersburg. I've made my own photo of those, about the same (bad) quality as one in http://www.tzar.ru/info/newsarchive?id=5557
                      , but it does not include Sir Peter himself .
                      Very nice of him.

Comment

Is that the Amber Room? If so can you post some bigger photos in the photos thread - it is the one place in Ruskia I really wanted to see and have not been yet

Comment

Is that the Amber Room? If so can you post some bigger photos in the photos thread - it is the one place in Ruskia I really wanted to see and have not been yet
                          Second picture is Amber room indeed, third one - probably Throne hall in Tsars summer palace (Ekaterininskiy dvorets). Museum building, Ratnaya Palata (Warriors Hall), is in walking distance from the palace but not quite there. It was built as a military museum just before Great War, but only reopened 3-4 years ago. It contains some usual things, like uniforms, weapons, awards, etc, but also some unusual, like children's drawings of WWI. May be I should post those, though as you can see, light is a problem . As of Amber Room, you'll have to wait until my next visit to Russia I am afraid .

One funny and a bit sad thing is that collection shows a lot of French, German, British, Russian, etc items and documents, but, I believe, nothing American. Of course, when USA entered the war, Russia was mostly out of it, but I suppose it mostly reflects owner's taste. And the owner of the museum is Ministry of Defense.

Edit: was looking at photos and did find some American soldier. I've missed it because it was just a relatively small doll in a set of similar German, British and French figures. Still....
                          Last edited by Starshoy; 15-10-2018, 12:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X