Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help with genealogical research (Germany)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with genealogical research (Germany)

Hey Dudes,
    so i want to start researching my families heritage and for a long long time, i wanted to find out what my grandfather did in WW2. Not if he specifically whacked somebody or whatever, just what he did and where he went.
    He was a young man back then and i tried talking to him about what he did in WW2 and he told me some things but he never really told what exactly he did and where and with whom he served.
    That's something that i really want to piece together because he was in captivity and suffered from that a lot and made it back just by pure luck and his cleverness.

So i'm specifically asking the german users on this forum:
    Is there an office or a department where i can ask for my grandfathers military records?
    Are there any records at all? (Well i guess, because it's germany after all...duh)
    Has anyone of you done this before and what do you think are my chances of getting any results?
    What kind of information aside from date and place of birth, do i have to provide to get good results?

Thanks in advance!

Please don't let this run off into some sort of moral discussion about what's right and what's wrong. I just want to find some answers for questions that have been bugging me for a long time but i can unfortunately not ask those questions to him anymore.

Bundesarchiv-Personalarchiv (Federal Records Office / Personnel Archives) is probably a good place to start

Useful link:
    https://www.feldgrau.com/WW2-German-...arch-Addresses

Comment

You would not find out if he "whacked somebody" anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Connaught Ranger View Post
        You would not find out if he "whacked somebody" anyway.
        Yes, i do know that. It's just so that people don't get the wrong idea of what i'm after.
        Besides, if you belonged to a certain part of the military organization at that time, your "whacking chances" were a bit higher than usual.

Comment

Originally posted by Hansinator View Post

Yes, i do know that. It's just so that people don't get the wrong idea of what i'm after.
          Besides, if you belonged to a certain part of the military organization at that time, your "whacking chances" were a bit higher than usual.

1. Never met anybody who had relatives serve in Ww1 or Ww2 on either side ask can we found out how many he killed not like they kept a score card on them.

2. they also stood a greater chance of getting whacked than those who did not " belong to a certain part of the military organisation."

Comment

Originally posted by Connaught Ranger View Post

1. Never met anybody who had relatives serve in Ww1 or Ww2 on either side ask can we found out how many he killed not like they kept a score card on them.

2. they also stood a greater chance of getting whacked than those who did not " belong to a certain part of the military organisation."
            Sir, in all honesty, i do not want to engage in a conversation with you about any of this. Have a good one!

Comment

Working...
            X