Why do we suck at waging war

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bitogno View Post
    About the war of hundred years : it is not 70 years of defeats.
    1337 - 1364 : Edward III ( Brits ) wins because he is a tactical genius.
    1364 - 1380 : Charles V ( Frenchs ) wins because he is a political genius.
    1380 - 1429 : Charles VI ( French ) is mad so it becomes a civil war (Brits + Bourguignons vs Other Frenchs). In 1420 the French king is also English king.
    1429 - 1453 : Brits are kicked out of France by a peasant woman (Joan of Arc).
    a point of order Britain did not exist in those eras you stipulate ... the act of union came into being in 1707 thus Britain came into being

replace Brits with English

Comment

Fair enough knowing that the Scots were on our side.

Comment

Originally posted by muck View Post
        [I]Why eleven battles for the Isonzo? Why did the anti-Napoleonic coalition happily cede victory after victory to the French?
        Battles on Isonzo front were fought on terrain that favors the defender and yet it was a section of the frontline where terrain was the least restrictive. Problem for Italians was that Cadorna was an idiot of Hotzendorf dimensions who pissed away multiple chances for breakthrough, but was well enough connected to keep position untill the disaster of the twelvth.

Anti-Napoleonic coalition didn't cede victories happily, they were quite unhappy about losing. Problem was that Napoleon was military genius, asisted by able subordinates leadeing battle hardened forces. In short military genius with an army where you can rise according to your abilities, with twenty years of rigorous selection for the command cadre against armies where birthright and connections mean more than ability. Napoleon's opponents did gradually adapt though, thus his victories were increasingly costly, eroding his advantages until he was finally defeated.

Comment

No victory or defeat is certain until the war is over.

Comment

50-100 years ago, i would argue that adapting and improvising was slow. The German Blitzkrieg as an example, wait what.... Maginot line. There was no social media to hand out moronic left leaning or right leaning opinions. Rightly or wrongly, those in power could make decisions (good and bad). Look at the Greeks vs Romans, Romans vs Carthage, those who adapted to the best fighting style won (Romans vs the Phalanx).

Nowadays wars can be waged by people who follow civilized rules against those that don't. Sometimes you can't win with your hands behind your back. On the other hand, one could argue that conventional armies simply can't fight on the same foot as unconventional forces, which brings us back to "rules". There was a reason a few hundred years back that massacres occurred. Teutoberg, the Romans were handed a defeat, or given a thrashing. No point in those fighting them letting them escape to fight another day. On the other hand social media now tells us everything all the time. People are forced to make decisions not about winning but about winning peoples opinions. Back to my earlier point, sometimes decisions n eed to be made, good or bad. Can you imagine D-Day now if the public were given a say. "No leave the Germans alone, they are just like us, not barbarians, lets just wait them out, don't take France, PS, look at my cat video and my selfies".

And the best would be "the holocaust is fake news". And don't think i mean the best, i should say the most stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by t3ngu View Post
              50-100 years ago, i would argue that adapting and improvising was slow. The German Blitzkrieg as an example, wait what.... Maginot line. There was no social media to hand out moronic left leaning or right leaning opinions. Rightly or wrongly, those in power could make decisions (good and bad). Look at the Greeks vs Romans, Romans vs Carthage, those who adapted to the best fighting style won (Romans vs the Phalanx).

Nowadays wars can be waged by people who follow civilized rules against those that don't. Sometimes you can't win with your hands behind your back. On the other hand, one could argue that conventional armies simply can't fight on the same foot as unconventional forces, which brings us back to "rules". There was a reason a few hundred years back that massacres occurred. Teutoberg, the Romans were handed a defeat, or given a thrashing. No point in those fighting them letting them escape to fight another day. On the other hand social media now tells us everything all the time. People are forced to make decisions not about winning but about winning peoples opinions. Back to my earlier point, sometimes decisions n eed to be made, good or bad. Can you imagine D-Day now if the public were given a say. "No leave the Germans alone, they are just like us, not barbarians, lets just wait them out, don't take France, PS, look at my cat video and my selfies".

And the best would be "the holocaust is fake news". And don't think i mean the best, i should say the most stupid.
              What you say is true but it is also a double edged sword again
              Manipulation of large audience through medias is also achievable (and was achieved) during peacetimes (prewar) to ensure that the public will support the war
              US-Spanish war, Vietnam, GW2, Balkan wars are a few examples
              If your manipulation is good enough within a specific political ambience, there won't be any hands behind the back. See the difference between Japanese treatment of POWs in 1905 and in 1937
              Plus we are fighting intervention wars, not wars on our ground and no wars for survival

I can bet that in case of invasion of any western country or spark of civil war between communities in the west, civilizedrules of war will go through the window pretty quickly

Comment

Working...
              X