Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Viet-Nam war.

https://crockettlives.wordpress.com/...e-vietnam-war/

A interesting site on facts of the war. The propaganda was very intense. I still think much of it still effects our view of the war. So there is a conflict on what we remember and what actually happened.

Great info ! Thanks H.

Comment

I'm fascinated by this war. Although we are from the UK I spent 12 years growing up in the US and many of my old mans friends were Vietnam Vets. All of whom had very different "wars".

Recently watched a good documentary series about in on the BBC, I think it was originally on PBS, very good, but slightly too biased to the north IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by downsizer View Post
        I'm fascinated by this war. Although we are from the UK I spent 12 years growing up in the US and many of my old mans friends were Vietnam Vets. All of whom had very different "wars".

Recently watched a good documentary series about in on the BBC, I think it was originally on PBS, very good, but slightly too biased to the north IMO.

yes the PBS series was biased to the liberal / leftist POV, as we call the democrat party in USA. i.e. series was "anti war" which painted the war and military as bad, evil, and the NVA as rightous and jane fonda as some type of heroine. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by commanding View Post

yes the PBS series was biased to the liberal / leftist POV, as we call the democrat party in USA. i.e. series was "anti war" which painted the war and military as bad, evil, and the NVA as rightous and jane fonda as some type of heroine. LOL

Those who fought for the South Viet-Namese pointed out the bias. From the article that I posted something PBS series left out:

"Isolated atrocities committed by American soldiers produced torrents of outrage from antiwar critics and the news media while Communist atrocities were so common that they received hardly any attention at all. The United States sought to minimize and prevent attacks on civilians while North Vietnam made attacks on civilians a centerpiece of its strategy. Americans who deliberately killed civilians received prison sentences while Communists who did so received commendations. From 1957 to 1973, the National Liberation Front assassinated 36,725 South Vietnamese and abducted another 58,499. The death squads focused on leaders at the village level and on anyone who improved the lives of the peasants such as medical personnel, social workers, and schoolteachers. (Nixon Library)"

From my Reunions site we have photo when we captured 3 NVA soldier. One was critically wounded and our Docs and Hospital (3rd Med) did their best to save his life. Then photos of the interrogations. We are just squatted down talking to each other. No violence or none of the propaganda "types of interrogation". Those two NVA were turned over to the rear. About 160,000 VC and NVA changed sides and worked for us. They were Chieu Hoi, or known as Kit Carson Scouts. We had three that I worked with. One was Ex-VC (local) the other two were NVA from Hanoi.

Comment

Interesting.

In that war, it seems the US lost on the ground but also at home because of the support for the troops then fading.

Yes, I have seen pics of various atrocities from the US Army but it was always one-sided. I have barely seen what the Communists did to captives and civilians.

What does the common people, American or not today remember about that war? The Napalm burning little Vietnamese girl. What about the massacre from the north? Nada.

Comment

Originally posted by JakeScully View Post

What does the common people, American or not today remember about that war? The Napalm burning little Vietnamese girl. What about the massacre from the north? Nada.

I have a friend who was in the AO that little girl was. She was not targeted. Heck even our position was naped once. There is a difference between the "collateral" damage and people who are actually targeted to be murdered/tortured, etc. BTW, I never liked the term collateral, but errant rounds are always a issue.

Comment

What I remember about Viet Nam, is watching the war on the news, something that is no longer done in the USA, also what I remember is my cousin, and other persons I knew, serving, and wondering if they would survive, also young men coming back changed, and them, their wives, and children living with the after effects. I remember POW bracelets. POWs, and when POWs were released after years being held captive. and I remember the persons missing in action. Also I remember the nurses and doctors who served.

I had a friend who said he had walked through the jungle where agent orange had been sprayed, and even when it was sprayed. He died young with leukemia.

My respect, thoughts, and prayers are with everyone who served, and their wives, children, and grandchildren. families

Comment

When I think of Vietnam, I think of many things, mostly I dwell on friends who died there or later as a result of service there. This fellow, was in my high school graduating class, not an American citizen but a German citizen, drafted, went to VN and died there in the Tet Offensive, 8 Feb. 1968 at age 21. His younger brother also attended same high school but Klaus was in my class and played on our HS football team, his mom a German citizen also IIRC. Klaus was made a US citizen, posthumously by a congressman legislation iIRC.

He never married, left no wife, no children, only his mother and younger brother still living 6 yrs ago. (last I heard)

his mother and brother photo link:
                  https://i.imgur.com/wTnyd4i.jpg

Comment

Working...
                  X