Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Colorized photographs of heroes from #Russia's Great Patriotic War.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colorized photographs of heroes from #Russia's Great Patriotic War.

Fantastic photographs.

http://aviator.guru/blog/43177632486...fotografiyah.-

47. Mikhail Petrovich Devyataev (July 8, 1917, Torbeevo, Penza Province - November 24, 2002, Kazan) - Guard Senior Lieutenant, fighter pilot, Hero of the Soviet Union. He escaped from a German concentration camp on a bomber stolen by him.

How impressive is that??!!

Comment

Impressive done by a good friend

Comment

Fantastic - seen some of these in B&W and they are so fresh in colour - excellent work

Comment

amazing!! good work

Comment

Incredible detail and quality, really brings them alive.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy's daughter View Post
              47. Mikhail Petrovich Devyataev (July 8, 1917, Torbeevo, Penza Province - November 24, 2002, Kazan) - Guard Senior Lieutenant, fighter pilot, Hero of the Soviet Union. He escaped from a German concentration camp on a bomber stolen by him.

Very

especially when you consider escaping Russian POW's who did make it back to Soviet control were handed over for NKVD interrogation. IIRC a Soviet P-39 Ace shot down and captured twice, escaped twice was snubbed HSU for his crimes and almost sent to a penal unit

Comment

That's impressive indeed. I'm just finishing up Ernst J√ľnger's book Storm of Steel. Outstanding book and like Mikhail Devyataev, amazing story.

Comment

http://aviator.guru/blog/43177632486...fotografiyah.-
                  Is Stalin hero?

Comment

Great thread Cowboy's daughter!

Comment

Fantastic Stalin on that list of HEROES. He killed a lot of Polish bandits in Katyn. Lots of Polish nazi-fascist-pedophile-hacker-robber-bandits. We should also forget everyone else he sent their deaths, some of those that might count as sort of genocidal murders.

Comment

Originally posted by AurimasLT View Post

Is Stalin hero?
                        It says from #Russia's Great Patriotic War.

The post is not a defense of Stalin' policies, actions, or character, but he was governing the Soviet Union through WW 2, thus his photo was included in the photographs by whomever.

Comment

It says from #Russia's Great Patriotic War.

The post is not a defense of Stalin' policies, actions, or character, but he was governing the Soviet Union through WW 2, thus his photo was included in the photographs by whomever.
                          Can you please describe your personal attitude towards Stalin? Somehow I have a feeling that you are trying to avoid to call things what they are...
                          Last edited by AurimasLT; 24-01-2018, 01:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by AurimasLT View Post

Can you please describe your personal attitude towards Stalin? Somehow I have a feeling that you are trying to avoid to call things what they are...
                            Well, your feeling is just wrong. Just because I post on the Ukraine thread, and it's my opinion that the new Government in Ukraine was a coup, instigated by the USA, and all my opinions about that, changes nothing about what I think about Stalin, persecution of the Jews, gulags, secret police, etc.

It's been a long time, years, since I've read about Stalin, the gulags, and Beria, all of which was horrific to me.

but like it or not, Russia was our ally in ww2, and if not for Russia, would we have defeated Hitler, or at what price, and how many lives, years?

and Stalin does not mean all Russian people are demons.

Also for the record, just because I post on the Ukraine thread, doesn't mean I consider myself an expert about Putin, or think everything he does, most of which I have no idea about, is okay. i let the Russian people be the Judge, and at the end of the day they are the ones who will justify or condemn him, I think. and if not them, then God Almighty will for sure.

Nor does Putin mean all Russian people are demons.

I find, it seems to me, that we the people, no matter what country we live in, exert very little influence even over the persons we elect, unless we march in the streets by the hundreds of thousands.

Futhermore, I SALUTE the Russian people, soldiers, nurses, all of them, for their efforts in WW2, all their lives lost, given to protect their homeland, and to defeat Hitler.

and if you don't like that, I couldn't care less.

and that does't mean I condone any abuses by any one of them, just like I would not condone any abuses by any other nations' soldiers.

Comment

but like it or not, Russia was our ally in ww2, and if not for Russia, would we have defeated Hitler, or at what price, and how many lives, years?
                              While the Soviets were our allies they were not ours, not really. They practiced systematic and comprehensive "HUMINT" espionage against every one of their so called "allies". They stole secrets, technology, and just about anything else they could get their hands on. While the Western allies were largely focused on the war at hand the Soviets were focused in many ways on what would come after.

I do question you sentimentality towards the Soviets. Like the Nazis the Soviet people practiced a murderous and morally corrupt ideology while following a brutal dictator. They both tortured and murdered their own people in significant quantities and both sought to export their depredations on others. The main difference I see is that one lost and other won. Had I been alive at the end of the war I am not sure I would have been sad had the Soviets and Nazis destroyed each other. It would have saved significant portions of the planet from undue sorrow.

Comment

Working...
                              X