Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

US civil war 1861-65

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • US civil war 1861-65

    this thread for historical things related to the US war of 1861-1865, sometimes called the Civil War or war of Northern Aggression, War of Rebellion, etc.

    start off with a photo supposedly made not long after a battle at Gettysburg, PA. Having seen the size of the lead bullets and volume of fire, I can easily believe this may be authentic photo of a battlefield of the period.



  • #2
    solid shot cannon ball, union use, from 1861-65:


    copper percussion firing caps for percussion rifles, of the era, recovered by me from a 1861-65 field of action.....


    a pulled Minie ball (lead) bullet covered by me in northern Virginia (the screw attachment on the ram rod was used to pull an unfired ball), about .577 caliber



    round lead balls, possibly civil war era recovered from northern Virginia field where Union Troops camped....near camp California....

    Comment


    • #3
      frame of various 58 caliber lead Minie balls and other militaria from northern Virginia, recovered by me, the top rows are more modern (the non white patina
      rounds)
      some larger ones are .69 caliber Minie balls, and some "buck and balls" rounds, flat brass buttons, some brass military buttons etc.

      Comment


      • #4

        above .577 caliber Minie balls, percussion caps and a Henry shell casing

        solid cannon balls of 1861-65...


        a jar of lead Minie balls all found in North Virginia in one afternoon, most fired:


        Comment


        • #5
          Native Americans in the Civil War

          The Cherokees were now sending men to don both blue and gray, causing an internal civil war within their nation. ....
          .....
          However, the Choctaw and Chickasaw entered the war more united politically. Because they were heavily engaged in a slave-based, cash crop market economy, these two nations decided for Southern allegiance and remained committed.
          http://www.cowboysindians.com/2017/1...the-civil-war/

          Comment


          • #6

            union navy button found at a union camp, northern Virginia.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by RobertKLR View Post

              https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semino...ican_Civil_War

              the Seminole Indians from Florida, aligned with the Confederacy according to the above link.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by commanding View Post


                https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semino...ican_Civil_War

                the Seminole Indians from Florida, aligned with the Confederacy according to the above link.
                The Seminoles had two chiefs, John Chupco and John Jumper. Jumper's band sided with the Confederacy but Chupco's band threw in with the Creeks and later enlisted with the Indian Home Guard Brigade of the Union Army.
                http://www.seminolenation-indianterr...rg/leaders.htm


                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by RobertKLR View Post

                  The Seminoles had two chiefs, John Chupco and John Jumper. Jumper's band sided with the Confederacy but Chupco's band threw in with the Creeks and later enlisted with the Indian Home Guard Brigade of the Union Army.
                  http://www.seminolenation-indianterr...rg/leaders.htm

                  good on Jumper, I used to know a high school football star named Jumper from the Odessa, Texas Permian team. IIRC his dad was a banker there.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    two relatives of mine

                    Rear Admiral Cornelius Stribling, Union Navy, commanded the East Gulf Blockading Squadron from 1864 to the end of the war.
                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornelius_Stribling

                    Robert Mackey Stribling, Confederate Army, Fauquier Artillery, commonly known as Stribling's Battery.
                    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Mackey_Stribling

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by RobertKLR View Post
                      two relatives of mine

                      Rear Admiral Cornelius Stribling, Union Navy, commanded the East Gulf Blockading Squadron from 1864 to the end of the war.
                      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornelius_Stribling

                      Robert Mackey Stribling, Confederate Army, Fauquier Artillery, commonly known as Stribling's Battery.
                      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Mackey_Stribling
                      I likely have seen the monument to Robert Mackey Stribling in Alexandria, VA, and Mrs C and myself have been to the battlefield at Bull Run, one of the battles he was in.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by commanding View Post
                        this thread for historical things related to the US war of 1861-1865, sometimes called the Civil War or war of Northern Aggression, War of Rebellion, etc.

                        start off with a photo supposedly made not long after a battle at Gettysburg, PA. Having seen the size of the lead bullets and volume of fire, I can easily believe this may be authentic photo of a battlefield of the period.

                        My late grandfather was a 're-enactor'(?). They would dress up in replica uniforms and have competitive shoots. Having seen the damage a 'mini-ball' can do, I would say that I wouldn't want to be on the wrong end of one....

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by commanding View Post

                          I likely have seen the monument to Robert Mackey Stribling in Alexandria, VA, and Mrs C and myself have been to the battlefield at Bull Run, one of the battles he was in.
                          I've never seen it in person, only pictures. Hopefully one day I'll get to see it myself.
                          Last edited by RobertKLR; 13-11-2017, 04:13 PM.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by opfor View Post

                            My late grandfather was a 're-enactor'(?). They would dress up in replica uniforms and have competitive shoots. Having seen the damage a 'mini-ball' can do, I would say that I wouldn't want to be on the wrong end of one....
                            The one thing that springs to mind. They had one competition where they had gotten some railroad ties. They were put in holes in the ground so they stood vertically and had two white lines about ten inches apart about half way up. The object was to shoot the railroad tie in half before the other teams did theirs. The mini-balls would cut straight thru.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library and Museum ... approximately 5 hours worth of civil war lectures

                              The Civil War Battle Series: Chancellorsville
                              When Union forces clashed with a much smaller Confederate army in the Battle of Chancellorsville, Robert E. Lee seized victory with what many consider to be his strategic masterpiece. But Lee also paid a terrible price, as this presentation from May 2, 2013 at the Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library and Museum explains.



                              The Civil War Battle Series: Vicksburg
                              Dr. Mark DePue discusses the siege of Vicksburg in this continuing series on battles of the American Civil War.


                              The Civil War Battle Series: Gettysburg
                              Dr. Mark DePue discusses the most famous and iconic battle of the American Civil War.


                              Last edited by RobertKLR; 22-11-2017, 06:58 PM.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X