Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The worst ally of Germany in WWII.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The worst ally of Germany in WWII.

    Who would be the worst ally of Germany in WWII? Could it be Italians who Germans had to save in North Africa and Greece, thus wasting their resources to prop up Italian army unwilling to show any fighting spirit? Could it be Finland unable to cut Soviet supply routes from Murmansk, an unfrozen port in the North through which USSR was supplied with lend-lease? Maybe Hungary, since Hungarian army was of almost no use to 4th German Panzer Army to capture Voronezh, thus delaying their offensive to Caucasus? Should Romania be considered the worst ally of Germany because Romanian troops due to its weakness could not resist Soviet offensive on the flanks under Stalingrad and the German army was surrounded in the city? Some other worst allies, like Spain which did not enter the war at all?

  • #2
    The worst Ally?

    Soviet Union - because it finally defeated Germany.

    Comment


    • #3
      If a Pact Molotov-Ribbentrop is meant, then everyone was making such non-aggression pacts at that time. And even if there was an alliance, Germany had broken it itself.

      Comment


      • #4
        Italy ? nope. With new datas, we know now that Balkans operations didn't delayed Barbarossa and the North African operation was very secundary in term of manpower poured in (the DAK was never above 3 divisions)
        Hungarians fought well in Hungary but indeed performed badly in SU
        Romanians fought badly as well in SU
        Spain was never a Reich ally after 1938 (Sweden under that scope is probably closer to an ally than Spain ever was)

        Croatia and Slovakia are probably worse (poor involvment in Barbarossa and asking for a lot of german troops that may have been useful elsewhere)

        But the worst ally of the Nazi gov is Hitler himself. By 1940 onward any of his actions undermined the OKH/OKW strategic projections...

        Comment


        • #5
          Pointless Thread.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Mordoror View Post
            Italy ? nope. With new datas, we know now that Balkans operations didn't delayed Barbarossa and the North African operation was very secundary in term of manpower poured in (the DAK was never above 3 divisions)
            Hungarians fought well in Hungary but indeed performed badly in SU
            Romanians fought badly as well in SU
            Spain was never a Reich ally after 1938 (Sweden under that scope is probably closer to an ally than Spain ever was)

            Croatia and Slovakia are probably worse (poor involvment in Barbarossa and asking for a lot of german troops that may have been useful elsewhere)

            But the worst ally of the Nazi gov is Hitler himself. By 1940 onward any of his actions undermined the OKH/OKW strategic projections...
            they sent 20,000 volunteers (Blue Division) División Española de Voluntarios ... they were recalled october 1943 over 3,000 refused to return home some even fought died and were captured in Berlin .... Hitler had very high regard for his Spanish Volunteers

            Comment


            • #7
              Vichy France ?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Tizer View Post

                they sent 20,000 volunteers (Blue Division) División Española de Voluntarios ... they were recalled october 1943 over 3,000 refused to return home some even fought died and were captured in Berlin .... Hitler had very high regard for his Spanish Volunteers
                Yet Franco asked impossible things for his direct involment. The Azul division was just a feel good, pat on the shoulder thing.

                Comment


                • #9
                  The mediterranean didn't use many ground forces before the invasion of Italy, but the support of Rommel and the reduction of Malta probably took over a third of the Luftwaffe at high times.
                  Not to mention the U-Boats diverted from the Atlantic.

                  Re the Spaniards, Franco was right in that he didn't commit to WW2, Spain was a heap of rubble after the Civil War and the victory he gained was by no means secure. Any even localized landing by Allied forces might have sparked a new republican uprising.
                  On the other hand, he used the Division Azul to rid himself of the most fanatical of the actual fascists in his army and government.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Kitchen Spy View Post
                    The worst Ally?

                    Soviet Union - because it finally defeated Germany.
                    Ssssh the Stalinaboos will furiously deny the Alliance pre 1941

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Italy-

                      Drain on resources, and allowed a flank for the Allies to attack
                      Incapable of modern warfare post 1918
                      Tanks sucked
                      Infantry arms a nightmare of dissimilar calibers and bizarre operating methods
                      Least motivated troops
                      Did cause redirection of German forces to pull Commando Supremos ass out of the fire in Greece.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I was going to say Japan, unless the OP only want to discuss the operations in Europe. Japan IMO only 'accelerated' the commitment of America in WW2, due to Pearl Harbor... Yet they started in China early in the 1930s in Manchuria.

                        Italy would be my take, numerous failures in Greece, unsuccesfully tried to invade SE France though the Alps, and so on. That said, greeks and serbs resistance to Nazi and fascist forces was heroic to the least.

                        Why Finland though? They also fought an epic struggle against the red Army.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          The Germans would had a front less if the Italians controled the Mediterranean.
                          It would have caused the British a lot of trouble, but even with a advantage in numbers they where routed.
                          After clearing the Mediterranean, Balkan and Northern Africa they could have supported the Germans on the western or eastern front.
                          I'm wondering why they didn't shared more tech and tactics with the Germans, like maybe a own production line of Stugs, Pz4,Pak40, 88, Mauser, MP40, halftracks etc etc.
                          The Japanese acquired German tech near the last days of the war.
                          The Germans must have seen that those Tankettes etc where a joke..

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Probably Slovakia. Or Bulgaria.

                            Vichy France did nothing other than free up German troops from garrison duties in Vichy's area of responsibility; but considering the size of that territory it was still something.

                            Romanians were useless but they had pure manpower and were willing to commit it. Ditto for Italy. They also had oil, which was vital to the war effort. They betrayed Germany when the heat came down though. So did the Finns.

                            Spain was never a formal ally.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              To quote churchill

                              At a dinner with Churchill, Ribbentrop had said that, in a future war with Britain, Germany would have the Italians on its side. Churchill, referring to Italy’s poor record in the First World War, responded with one of his devastating verbal flashes: “That’s only fair – we had them last time.”

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X